U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:37 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,428,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
I must have missed this part earlier. Oakley/Hyde Park are extremely nice. Much more like Maderia than Norwood. Some of the streets around Ault Park are the nicest streets in the city. Oakley and Hyde Park have really nice squares with lots to do. Quite different from Norwood and Madisonville.

I was not sure where one could lunch in Mudville. I suppose it is possible.

But, the OP needs to set out some more criteria or she is just wasting her time and ours. I'm sure there is not a house in Norwood constructed after 1978 unless one burned down. Same for Mudville. And, as for HP, there are plenty of houses constructed after 1978 - all at at least four times the average house price in Mudville. So, there is no cogent explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:44 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,304,110 times
What is mudville?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:04 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
What is mudville?
It is Madisonville. Go out there anytime we have a severe rain and you will quickly learn where Mudville comes from. It is an old town which had some magnificent houses. I grew up in nearby Madeira and when we were young Madisonville was a great place to go shop and entertain. Then back in the 60s riots it just seemed to go to pot. I keep reading about its recovery but am willing to bet if I drove down Madison Rd through the center today my reaction would be What The Hell Happened Here?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:09 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,304,110 times
I don't see how it pertains to the OP. She would have no clue as well. The only place in Cincinnati that gets regular mudslides is along Columbia parkway. I have lived in Silverton almost 40 years and have never heard of a mudslide in Madisonville.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:47 AM

I don't know why it is called Mudville. But there isn't any housing constructed after 1978 there so I can't imagine what the OP was looking at.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I don't know why it is called Mudville. But there isn't any housing constructed after 1978 there so I can't imagine what the OP was looking at.
Actually there's a small newish subdivision off either Kenwood or Whetsel, I forget which. I didn't go back to look at the OP's reference to Madisonville, but if they're talking about newer houses, that could be it.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:15 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,784,740 times
I apologize for the negativity of many of the other posters.

I understand exactly what you're looking for and what you need, you went to a great selection of neighborhoods, and the other commenters have a screw loose if they can't see why you did what they did (sorry for being blunt, but many of them are notoriously annoying, slow minded, and bull headed. But on the flip side their opinions provide a great insight into the prevalent resistance to new ideas this area is famous for).

Anyways, thank you for doing this write-up! Most all of us are from Cincinnati or surrounding, so it's hard for us to understand an outsider's perception of how it really is here. We get all wrapped up in our own preconceived notions, and they don't allow us to see what's really happening, good or bad. Your thoughts are refreshing, and much needed. I hope others new to the area refer back to your post, and I also hope their comments have not discouraged you. Please keep us informed, and ask us questions! Once you wade through the bickering you'll find a worthwhile answer, sometimes.

Also, on Madisonville/Oakely - what you experienced was a phenomena that is relatively unique to Cincinnati. The city is also famous for being a patchwork of great neighborhoods right next to "horrible" neighborhoods. For instance, Madisonville is surrounded by some of the nicest areas in the entire metro region, while Wyoming (Cincinnati's best suburb) is surrounded by some of its worst. And these are just two examples - there are dozens more!

Many people HATE Cincinnati because of this. It makes no intuitive sense. Most cities are either segmented by a concentric wealth distribution model or a zonal model, where one side is affluent and one is not (think about Chicago for an example). Cincinnati really is neither. It's not income diverse per se, but to those who don't know better they can be easily fooled into thinking it. It's more due to the fact that Cincinnati is really just a random patchwork of small and medium sized neighborhoods that just happen to choose one common name, and most of these small/medium sized towns have little to nothing in common with one another. It's unique. Weird. And either quirky or frustrating depending on your perspective.

Regardless, I think you hit the best spots given what you need. I still would not rule out Downtown Milford though. It should be well integrated into the bus system, and it is rather walkable. Also, they just built a ton of new apartments right downtown in your price range. And Milford schools are good.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post

I understand exactly what you're looking for and what you need
What would that be?

Price range?

Style?

Bedrooms/bathrooms?

School District?

Commuting from where to where?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 PM

15 posts, read 11,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Anyways, thank you for doing this write-up! Most all of us are from Cincinnati or surrounding, so it's hard for us to understand an outsider's perception of how it really is here. We get all wrapped up in our own preconceived notions, and they don't allow us to see what's really happening, good or bad. Your thoughts are refreshing, and much needed.
As an outsider who lived in Cincinnati and has relatives there, I actually like the city. I like Cleveland, too. Having been to numerous other places, I'll take what we have in Ohio and the midwest over just about anyplace else each and every day of the week. Omaha, Cedar Rapids, Sioux Falls, Fort Wayne ... also great places. That said, I saw a Business Journal story with car dealer Tom Gill and they asked him what is the best city he has ever lived in and he said Columbus - his entire family is here! (Both of his brothers are Chevy dealers in the Columbus area - Chesrown and Dave Gill.) Cincinnati has great old neighborhoods and some not so great ones, but the city and metro area grows on you.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:55 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,784,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
What would that be?

Price range?

Style?

Bedrooms/bathrooms?

School District?

Commuting from where to where?
She states it clearly on her other threads. This thread is not devoted to that topic. You missed the boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or