Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:32 AM

38 posts, read 43,776 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be relocating for work to our plant in Hamilton, OH. I was hoping to get insight on where to live. I currently live in metro-Detroit. If anyone could compare cities from Michigan to cities near Cincinnati, it would be much appreciated.

I was also looking to know a little bit more about the cities around Cincinnati. People type, things to do, worth the price, city amenities, etc. Or any steorotypes of the cities.... Like this pace is a huge college town, this place is only for nightlife, etc.

Any information would greatly help.

The cities I have been looking into are Fairfield, Mason, West Chester, Loveland, Beckett Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:17 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Tell us some more about yourself, since the primary objective here is to find the locations which would be stronger candidates for a good match. Are you actually married/partnered? Single and looking, or single and content? Would you just as soon be within easy walking distance of at least a convenience store? Or is that a non-issue since you tend to either "grab some groceries on the way home from work" or do all your shopping on weekends? In your free time are you more apt to relax around the "crib," perhaps do some yard work/gardening, tinker under the hood of your vehicle and/or wash the "ride," kick back in front of the TV, etc? Or do you lead a more active lifestyle, for which nearby paths for biking/running, tennis courts, health clubs, etc would be a significant consideration? Are you the type to avoid "the city" at all costs because of assumptions and realities about what lie there (this has to be something a lot of Detroiters do)? Or do you take full advantage of the amenities found only in urban settings?

We can broad-brush characterize various locations while going over housing options. In fact, that sort of info is more often than not revealed within the framework of that discussion.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:01 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
I'm a former (and maybe someday once again, I haven't given up) Michigander.

Moved to Lebanon from Ypsilanti, 7 years ago. Prior to my time in Ypsi (9 years) grew up in the East side suburbs of Detroit (next to the Grosse Pointes).

Goyguy - they're working in HAMILTON - why would they be looking at the "city" (by which I assume you mean cincinnati, unless you actually mean Hamilton, which would at least make sense). Also - no Detroiters (and by that I mean the nearly 4 million in the detroit Metro area) don't automatically dislike Urbanity, any more than "Cincinnatians" all like or dislike the color red.

OP:

Westchester/Liberty Township (and Mason - but the newer parts of "mason" which are actually Deerfield Township) feels a bit like Plymouth/Canton if you've been out there. Lots of new subdivisions. Plenty of big box stores. Even an Ikea (like Canton has) Again, just smaller. Beckett Ridge really is basically a part of West Chester so the above applies.

Loveland is a little more isolated and fashions itself fitness-y because of the bike trail (there are a lot of cities with bike trail access, but Loveland has done the best to capitalize on theirs). The downtown reminds me of Milford, but I don't know that it has quite as much going on as Milford does in terms of restaurants / night life. There are some nice restaurants in Loveland, but they're a bit more spread out, not all centralized in the "downtown"

Fairfield is a little more challenging, I like it, it reminds me of the big first ring 'burbs of Detroit ... your areas along Gratiot (Roseville to Mt. Clemens) or maybe along Woodward (but not nearly as edgey as Ferndale/Royal Oak, nor as high class as Birmingham). Major busy street (route 4) - lots of businesses. Some bigger stores, car dealerships, little neighborhoods tucked behind. Some parks and a nice city government complex. Its also one of the largest suburbs of Cinci (46,000) by a fairly large margin (Mason has about 30,000).

You should also think about Hamilton (unless you've got kids, I have no idea about Hamilton schools). Its a nice enough city (population 62,000), with plenty of newer (if that matters) subdivisions and a super cute downtown that is trying to revive. Also a lovely art park (pyramid hill sculpture park). Locals however have pretty negative opinions of Hamilton and may tell you it's the "ghetto". Locals have an interesting idea of what a "ghetto" is.

Over all Cinci-metro has some really interesting areas, but I've just found it to just feel "smaller" than metro detroit (about 1/2 the population overall) so just be aware of that possibility. That makes it hard to do direct comparisons.

Though HydePark (in Cinci proper) feels much like the GrossePointes or Birmingham. That one is pretty easy.

Hope I've at least given you some thing to work with. Feel free to DM if you need.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:21 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
When I see "work in Hamilton" and "need a good public school system," I mention Ross Township with its fairly well regarded schools, reasonable property values, proximity to Hamilton, and relatively convenient access to the Cincinnati metro area to the south. Being semi-rural, it may not be a good fit for the OP, though.

Last edited by Sarah Perry; 06-17-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-17-2015, 03:21 PM

Sorry I guess I should of told you a little about me. I'm 23 just out if college, engaged. I have an active lifestyle(gym, hiking, backpacking, water sports, fishing). I like to be able to go out to a nightlife but still be able to go home to quiet. I don't like living in a house that's on top of my neighbors, I like some space. I tend to do most of my shopping on the weekends, but like the fact that I have a target/meijer 5-10min away. I would like a place with decent amount of resturants... I don't want rural areas, but I also don't want to be straight downtown. For instances I go downtown Detroit to sporting events/concerts/restaurants but I like to be able to go home after. I live about 20-30 min away. From Downtown Detroit.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:35 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Welcome to Cincinnati!

I'm a guy in the same age bracket so let me help you out.

First off, I'm not sure how important nightlife is to you, but in order to enjoy it you would need to be within the range Uber goes if you don't want to have to worry about a DD. This alone would rule out every city you mentioned.

But that's not a bad thing - plenty of great places to look in the Cincy area.
One thing that is missing though is a budget, along with a housing type. I'm assuming you and your fiancee want a single family home? Keep in mind you will be significantly sacrificing your social opportunities if you go this route. I would not recommend it. People your age in this area live and meet in apartment complexes.

That being said, here's a good shortlist for you to look at initially given your interests and desire for space. I'll even put them in order of best fit IMO if I were in your shoes:
1. Sharonville - near downtown and Sharon Woods
2. Oakley
3. Milford (downtown or close to it)
4. Mariemont
5. Greenhills
6. Norwood
7. Miamisburg (downtown or Austin Landing)

All of these choices would put you within a "reasonable" commute of Hamilton (40 minute max), within walking distance of all the recreational opportunities you desire, and an Uber ride from decent brewpubs, bars, etc. In particular I'd focus on the top 4 on that list. Greenhills might be too rough for your liking (but if you are buying and the budget is <$60k, it would b the way to go), and Norwood doesn't have great access to parks. Miamisburg increases the commute, but right now it sounds like a great match for you culturally. Germantown up that way might also be worth a look if hiking and backpacking are big priorities.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:57 PM

Yeah we are looking into apartments. Absolute Max rent would be $1200.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:58 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
There is a big apartment complex right off 75 in the Liberty Township area (north of 275) that might be a good fit. I don't know the name of it, but a former baby sitter lived there. It's on a big hill just on the other side of 75 where the Marriott is.

It might be a fit because: 1) close to Hamilton, 2) easy to get back to Michigan, 3) close to Sharon Woods Park which affords a lot of recreation, 4) close to the new "lifestyle" mall opening in the next year in Liberty Township with tons of bars and restaurants.

Other fits:

1. Apartment complex attached to Four Bridges Country Club in West Chester (I believe it shares the same pool as the country club), and

2. Mason Grand: brand new apartment complex in Mason----a little farther from restaurants and Hamilton but it has a cool pool area.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:49 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Middletown is a small version of the city of Detroit.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
^I sincerely hope that's a compliment.

If not I'll be calling you out for trolling and adding nothing relevant to the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati