Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:48 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
You can generally walk around in Northside, to the main business area. Though I believe shoe-topia ceased to exist, so why anyone would bother now, I have no idea..
In the city there is also Pleasant Ridge, Columbia-Tusc, Mt Washington, Obryonville, East Walnut Hills, Mt Adams/Eden Park Area and Mt Lookout. Probably some west side areas too. Plenty of suburbs have nice walkability like Montgomery, Fort Thomas, Mainstrasse and Mariemont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:57 AM

27 posts, read 111,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I believe when people say "walkable," especially in the context of this thread, they mean easy, pleasant and safe to walk from a residential area to a concentration of shops and restaurants. I'm not trying to argue with you, but I'd love to see your list of a dozen. I can think of Clifton, Hyde Park, OTR, Oakley, Cheviot, maybe Mariemont...there may be some others I know about but am just not calling to mind right now, but let's have your list of at least six more.
Mt Lookout, Mt Adams, O'Bryonville, downtown Montgomery, downtown Loveland, Madeira, downtown Milford, downtown Lebanon. And, I'd add your Mariemont from your list. Heck, Mason has a lovely, quaint downtown area with a wonderful Malaysian restaurant, a Thai restaurant, pizzaria and some cool antique shops. As well as the alleged "best burger" in Cincinnati (Wildflower Cafe), but I beg to differ on that assessment. The housing near downtown Mason might not be your cup of tea, but there is definitely some.

As a caveat, you will probably pay more in housing to be near these areas. The homes close to downtown Montgomery definitely sell at a premium. Mt Adams is probably the most expensive per square footage area in the city. I understand your point though. Many people probably get into their cars to drive to these areas. However, housing does exist near these areas, probably not as many as Seattle, but certainly WAY MORE than my next city, Charlotte which does not have nearly the same number of 'walkable' villages.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:41 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Well you have been given many appraisals. While I enjoy Cincinnati, having been born and raised here, my vote is based on your desires, stay in Seattle. While I love it here, as said born and raised here to the tune of 74 years now, I must say follow your desires. To me you will not find an equivalent living atmosphere in the Cincy region. So stay where you are at. So unless there is a substantial iincome reason for coming to Cincinnati, stay where you are.
Now that I have said that, if there is substantial income differential, welcome to Cincinnati. It is not Seattle, but like just about everywhere else if you can afford the income difference. We have some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_native View Post
Mt Lookout, Mt Adams, O'Bryonville, downtown Montgomery, downtown Loveland, Madeira, downtown Milford, downtown Lebanon. And, I'd add your Mariemont from your list. Heck, Mason has a lovely, quaint downtown area with a wonderful Malaysian restaurant, a Thai restaurant, pizzaria and some cool antique shops. As well as the alleged "best burger" in Cincinnati (Wildflower Cafe), but I beg to differ on that assessment. The housing near downtown Mason might not be your cup of tea, but there is definitely some.

As a caveat, you will probably pay more in housing to be near these areas. The homes close to downtown Montgomery definitely sell at a premium. Mt Adams is probably the most expensive per square footage area in the city. I understand your point though. Many people probably get into their cars to drive to these areas. However, housing does exist near these areas, probably not as many as Seattle, but certainly WAY MORE than my next city, Charlotte which does not have nearly the same number of 'walkable' villages.
While I'll agree that in downtown lebanon is walkable, the OP said they lived near the "hottest" area in Seattle.

A bunch of antique shops, a couple of clothing boutiques, an ice cream parlor, a gun shop, a cafe, a hotel and 2 hair salons is probably not going to be what they're talking about.

I would say likely that when the OP talks about a similar area to live in, they're looking for a bit more than that. Probably more OTR / Banks / Mt. Adams kind of vibe.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:40 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post

Really disappointed in the negativity in this thread, but a lot of the posters who are negative don't live here, so that's strange.
I'd have to agree. I'm included in the negative for this thread, but that was only because of our resident golden girls males who choose to participate here and reflect a version of Cincinnati I hope is leaving and leaving fast. The one Mayor Cranley emulates. The one that's holding on to this city with a death grip.

OP, I will be honest (if you are still out there) - Cincinnati is Tea Party central.

Let that soak in for a minute.

Now here's why.
This place was spouting those exact same values decades before the group ever formed. WLW 700 is a prominent hub of these blatherings. The only rampant political action that happens around here and gains traction is AGAINST things, like AGAINST the Streetcar, or AGAINST the Brent Spence Bridge, or AGAINST building The Banks development, or AGAINST school choice, etc.

Almost never is there a campaign FOR anything. Or at least those don't make the cut with Bill Cunningham and John Cranley.

It's a city that revolves around now what college you went to, but what high school. It's a city that is segregated so well that people are ignorant of places two miles from their house. It's a city that DOES NOT CHANGE. Ever. For anyone.

Take it for what it is worth. At least in Dayton I see people getting behind change. Same with Louisville, Cleveland, Detroit, even Gary, IN. Not Cincinnati though. There's a strong and vocal component which stands for progress, many of them comment on here and Urban Ohio and read UrbanCincy.com. Keep in mind this is the vast minority. The majority is either staunchly a part of the old guard or too dumb or busy to care either way.

So sure, you can have some fun here, there are nice people, and the tides are changing at a frustratingly slow speed. Little by little, the creatives that attended DAAP or work at the Fortune 500s or are connected with Cincy's great startup community are rising up and making positive change happen.

Until then, expect most people to be like our resident Golden Girls.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:00 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
I'd have to agree. I'm included in the negative for this thread, but that was only because of our resident golden girls males who choose to participate here and reflect a version of Cincinnati I hope is leaving and leaving fast. The one Mayor Cranley emulates. The one that's holding on to this city with a death grip.

OP, I will be honest (if you are still out there) - Cincinnati is Tea Party central.

Let that soak in for a minute.

Now here's why.
This place was spouting those exact same values decades before the group ever formed. WLW 700 is a prominent hub of these blatherings. The only rampant political action that happens around here and gains traction is AGAINST things, like AGAINST the Streetcar, or AGAINST the Brent Spence Bridge, or AGAINST building The Banks development, or AGAINST school choice, etc.

Almost never is there a campaign FOR anything. Or at least those don't make the cut with Bill Cunningham and John Cranley.

It's a city that revolves around now what college you went to, but what high school. It's a city that is segregated so well that people are ignorant of places two miles from their house. It's a city that DOES NOT CHANGE. Ever. For anyone.

Take it for what it is worth. At least in Dayton I see people getting behind change. Same with Louisville, Cleveland, Detroit, even Gary, IN. Not Cincinnati though. There's a strong and vocal component which stands for progress, many of them comment on here and Urban Ohio and read UrbanCincy.com. Keep in mind this is the vast minority. The majority is either staunchly a part of the old guard or too dumb or busy to care either way.

So sure, you can have some fun here, there are nice people, and the tides are changing at a frustratingly slow speed. Little by little, the creatives that attended DAAP or work at the Fortune 500s or are connected with Cincy's great startup community are rising up and making positive change happen.

Until then, expect most people to be like our resident Golden Girls.
And you, who have yet to earn a golden anything, want to bash the region and the people who live here. My opinion is Cincinnati is a great place, has people who have lived here for generations, and doesn't need to cow down to anybody. Since I come from multiple generations of Cincinnatians feel no reason to apologize for anything in Cincinnati at all. Am very glad much of the urban core has been uplifted, does very well for the area as a whole. But the Greater Cincinnati Metro is as healthy as you can desire.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:14 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
And you, who have yet to earn a golden anything, want to bash the region and the people who live here.
Only the shrinking minority of you haha. I certainly don't want to bash those who want this city to be a better place.

Quote:
My opinion is Cincinnati is a great place, has people who have lived here for generations, and doesn't need to cow down to anybody. Since I come from multiple generations of Cincinnatians feel no reason to apologize for anything in Cincinnati at all. Am very glad much of the urban core has been uplifted, does very well for the area as a whole. But the Greater Cincinnati Metro is as healthy as you can desire.
Great. Glad you think it. I have yet to see it actually happen.

All I am saying is that if you really want this city to be welcoming, start listening to other points of view. And that's to you and yours of the Golden Girl troop.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:51 PM

36 posts, read 50,408 times
Don't listen to the naysayers. People in Ohio love to complain about Ohio. I lived in Cincy for 10 years just before the riots, from 89-99. Lived in Seattle in 03-04, lived in Portland from 02-03 and 04-12, and now I live in Cleveland. I'm as liberal as they come, generally speaking. I fit right in politically in Portland. I enjoyed living in Cincy much more than in Seattle, and at least as much as living in Portland. Is it less liberal, conservative politically? Yes. Is that sometimes totally annoying? Most definitely. Is public transit as good as Seattle's? No, but I didn't find Seattle's public transit all that great either when I was there (although I understand it has improved quite a bit). Like Seattle, Cincy is not a large metro area geographically, and I love driving around that city. It is a joy, IMO. The highways can be a pain, but not like Seattle's or Portland's, and the city streets are easy to get from place to place with traffic that pales in comparison to either Seattle's or Portland's. Northside is a great neighborhood I think you would enjoy, as is the Clifton Gaslight District, and now Over-the-Rhine, one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the US when I lived there, is a pretty amazing neighborhood, very close to downtown. These are all walkable neighborhoods. There are others: Hyde Park, and a couple of others whose names escape me at the minute. Plus the cost of living there is ridiculously low compared to SEA. I wouldn't hesitate to move to Cincy from Seattle. I'd be on a plane yesterday. West Coasters I know agree. I know a woman who moved there from San Fran, and another from Orange County and both love it. Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:01 PM

172 posts, read 254,675 times
^^^ Great post! Thanks, Johddavi.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
^^^ Agreed--another thank you, Johddavi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati