U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 06:44 AM

4 posts, read 5,377 times

Advertisements

Our family is considering a possible move to the Cincinnati area for a potential job opportunity. The job would be in the Amelia area. We are hoping to keep the commute to work to no more than a half-hour. We also have family in the Centerville area (south of Dayton) and would like to stay on the north or northwest side to be closer to them. We currently live in Central Ohio and are not very familiar with Cincinnati.

We have three elementary school-age children and plan to send them to a Catholic school. I am very interested in learning about good Catholic schools in the area, especially those that would be easier for a new family to become involved. Where we live now has great bike/walking paths, fabulous parks, community pools, and a great recreation center. We would love to find some of those same amenities in a new community. Also, since we don’t know anyone in Cincinnati, we’ll be looking to meet other families and would love an area more open to newcomers. Our budget is $500k.

I have done some initial research into Mason, West Chester and Loveland. What are the pros and cons of each? What other areas should we consider?

Thanks so much in advance for any insights that you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,462,107 times
A lot of Catholic parishoners in Mason send their kids to St. Susanah's..........I think there's another Catholic elementary / middle school in Loveland, on Columbia road---something like "Our Mother of Mary? I'm Protestant, so I'm not too up to speed with Catholic school names. It looks nice from the outside.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:21 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,781,531 times
I would avoid West Chester. Reasons are here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/39670450-post11.html

As for Mason vs. Loveland, IMO it's a toss up.

Otherwise, I'd also look into anything within Sycamore and Milford schools. Possibly consider Maderia and Wyoming too.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:22 PM

688 posts, read 863,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternma View Post
Our family is considering a possible move to the Cincinnati area for a potential job opportunity. The job would be in the Amelia area. We are hoping to keep the commute to work to no more than a half-hour. We also have family in the Centerville area (south of Dayton) and would like to stay on the north or northwest side to be closer to them. We currently live in Central Ohio and are not very familiar with Cincinnati.

We have three elementary school-age children and plan to send them to a Catholic school. I am very interested in learning about good Catholic schools in the area, especially those that would be easier for a new family to become involved. Where we live now has great bike/walking paths, fabulous parks, community pools, and a great recreation center. We would love to find some of those same amenities in a new community. Also, since we don’t know anyone in Cincinnati, we’ll be looking to meet other families and would love an area more open to newcomers. Our budget is $500k.

I have done some initial research into Mason, West Chester and Loveland. What are the pros and cons of each? What other areas should we consider?

Thanks so much in advance for any insights that you can offer!
You are in luck. Cincinnati has a relatively large parochial population. I believe the Cincy metro is second only to St. Louis in students attending parochial schools per capita.

In the Loveland area you are most likely looking at St. Columban Parish. Good parish that experienced explosive growth in the late-90s early-00s but the school has been there since the 60s I believe. School is co-ed, grades 1-8. Two classrooms per grade with about 30 students per classroom. Enrollment may be selective as the area population has grown considerably in the last two decades.

You may also want to look into the Kings Mills / Landen area. The parish for the Kings Local School District is St. Margaret of York. Very similar to St. Columban from a socioeconomic and area population growth standpoint.

St. Susanna is the parish for the Mason area. Sorry, but I don't know much about it personally.

If you are willing to move a little closer to Cincinnati, there is a fine parish in the City of Madeira. The local parish there is St. Gertrude. Higher wealth demographics than the others mentioned but perhaps not by much anymore as Loveland/Landen/Mason have all evolved into higher income areas. But Maderia and neighboring Indian Hill have more of an old money flavor.

Between Madeira and the outer ring 'burbs of Loveland et al is Symmes Twp. / Montgomery / Sycamore Schools. All Saints Parish serves this area and is a very solid parish. The area is built out so don't expect enrollment or population growth but it is a well attended and well capitalized parish.

You really can't go wrong with any of the local parish-run schools. They are all overseen by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati so the differential as far as educational offerings is going to be minimal. The bigger question is where do you intend to send your children to high school. On the east/northeast side of Cincinnati the most popular parochial high school is Archbishop Moeller, followed by St. Xavier. Moeller is in the Marianist tradiation (same as Univ. of Dayton) and is overseen by the Archdiocese. St. X is Jesuit and is not governed by the local diocese. Other options, after the Archdiocese abolished the feeder school system some ten years ago, are La Salle and Elder for boys. Popular girls schools for eastside residents will be Mount Notre Dame (MND) and Ursuline. Both are great.

As far as meeting other families, if you are involved in the parish life you should have no problem. Youth sports is another obvious avenue to meet other families. This is just speculation but Loveland, Landen, and Mason are all newer housing stock and therefore may have proportionally higher number of transplants whereas Madeira and Indian Hill is more built out and therefore may have more long-time residents with established networks and circles of friends. Nothing empirical to support that but speculating based on community age.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:52 PM

63 posts, read 46,275 times
Mason- St. Susanna, West Chester/Liberty- Mother Teresa, Loveland- St. Margaret of York. St. Micheals and St. Gabriel's serves West Chester and Sharonville. I'm very familiar with St. Susanna, happy to answer any questions!

Old 05-26-2015, 05:43 AM

23 posts, read 36,591 times
We send our three children to St. Gertrude school in Madeira, we actually don't live anywhere close to it but we really do just love it there so we endure the long commute anyway. St. Gertrude is a bit different from other parishes in the area in that it is the only one of the Dominican Order, and it is also even rare amongst Dominican parishes in the country in that it has both Dominican Friars and Sisters on the same campus (many times the Dominican Sisters teach at schools whose parishes are of another order or a church with Dominican Friars does might not have a parish school). For that reason, we tend to bring in families from all over (like my family!) and not just the immediate neighboring areas of Madeira and Indian Hill, in fact Loveland from your list is one of our biggest, if not the biggest, enrollment areas (its a pretty easy drive on Loveland-Madeira Rd), but we have many from close by Montgomery as well, which is another area you might like to add to your list. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have if you'd like, just PM me! Good luck with your relocation!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati