Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Cincinnati is a nice city in general not as violent as people say but overall region is conservative in nature socially and politically and Cincinnati is a corporate city very business orientated with P@G and a lot of fortune 500 companies in town...
The fact that Cincinnati is a "conservative, corporate, business oriented city" may be its greatest asset. Few other American cities its size are able to sustain the array of cultural amenities that Cincinnati does--and the reason why it can is because of its large and influential corporations.

First, consider that Cincinnati is home to more Fortune 500 companies than any other Midwestern city than Chicago, Minn/St Paul or Detroit. Second, consider that three of these F500 companies dominate American retailing. Not only is Kroger the nation's largest grocery chain, but it's also the world's third largest retailer (after Wal-Mart and Costco). In turn, Procter & Gamble is the world's largest consumer-products company and finally, Macy's is the nation's largest department-store chain. And all three of their headquarters are centered only blocks from each other in the downtown core.

What this all means to our blue-collar OP's existence may seem inconsequential, but it's not--namely because she will soon realize that blue-collar and white-collar pass by each other every day in the city, but that they inhabit parallel universes far apart. And that's why the critics are often so lacking when they try to critique Cincinnati; what they hope to look at up close is so out of reach.

Detractors want everyone to think that Cincinnati's nothing more than a provincial boondocks stuck next to backwater Kentucky. So maybe it does appear that way to tumble-weeds stranded at the Greyhound bus station or visitors whose only measure of a city is the hip coolness, raw energy, and gritty existence of street people and bars.

Cincinnati does have the bus terminal, street people, plus the bars and the grit, but it also has people who may never, ever be seen. These individuals simply cannot be scrutinized indiscriminately in meaningless street encounters or causal associations. Obviously, they're Cincinnati's wealthiest, most refined, educated, well-traveled and beautiful citizens. Who examines them and their influence, this powerful elite who provide the city the high-culture and class it has? Certainly not our vocal critics here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 11:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You are wrong. Dead wrong. Theres tons in common. Any one who has lived in both would see. The arts, festivals, german/irish, parochial schools, restaurants, neighborhood focus, historic architecture, weather, river, demographics., and even politics of greater metro region (cincy more conservative though)The size isnt as different as you say. 2.1 million vs 1.3 million. There are several areas around Louisville which would add amdbring it to 1.5-1.6 million but are not included. Both cities are still in the~1-2 million range (Louisville's MSA covers a much smaller geographic area) and the real difference is Louisville lacks Mason sprawlburbs

Bear in mind I never brought up Louisville on this thread.

People didn't like what I had to say so they tried to Louisville bash which is fine. The data, numbers, and national buzz speak volumes.

Now, lets get back to topic. I just feel there are better places than Cincy for the OP.
I notice you didn't respond to my questions up-thread. I'm still curious.

You make the very good point that "similar" or "different" are extremely nebulous terms. Yeah, if you want to say that having a lot of parochial schools makes two cities similar, sure (although I suspect that Louisville's religious demographic is not the same as Cincinnati's). If you want to say that 2.1 million and 1.3 million are similar population sizes, sure. If you want to talk about "neighborhood focus," I have to admit I'm not even sure what that means.

There might be better places than Cincinnati for the OP, but I doubt if Louisville rises to the top of the list either. Now I'm going to leave this conversation to you to have the last word--if you want it.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:39 AM

236 posts, read 319,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You are wrong. Dead wrong. Theres tons in common. Any one who has lived in both would see. The arts, festivals, german/irish, parochial schools, restaurants, neighborhood focus, historic architecture, weather, river, demographics., and even politics of greater metro region (cincy more conservative though)The size isnt as different as you say. 2.1 million vs 1.3 million. There are several areas around Louisville which would add amdbring it to 1.5-1.6 million but are not included. Both cities are still in the~1-2 million range (Louisville's MSA covers a much smaller geographic area) and the real difference is Louisville lacks Mason sprawlburbs

Bear in mind I never brought up Louisville on this thread.

People didn't like what I had to say so they tried to Louisville bash which is fine. The data, numbers, and national buzz speak volumes.

Now, lets get back to topic. I just feel there are better places than Cincy for the OP.
I agree to a point. I think Louisville and Cincinnati have far more in common with each other than either does with any other regional city except perhaps Louisville and Lexington. Similar culture, architecture, demographics, history, etc.

You and I have had this conversation before. 2.1 is mathmatically 1.5x larger than 1.3. That's quite a bit. Not to mention, Dayton is just as connected (if not more) to the Cinci metro area than some of the smaller towns you'd like to add to Louisville's MSA. This may not fit into your worldview, but that's just the way it is.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:20 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
I agree to a point. I think Louisville and Cincinnati have far more in common with each other than either does with any other regional city except perhaps Louisville and Lexington. Similar culture, architecture, demographics, history, etc.

You and I have had this conversation before. 2.1 is mathmatically 1.5x larger than 1.3. That's quite a bit. Not to mention, Dayton is just as connected (if not more) to the Cinci metro area than some of the smaller towns you'd like to add to Louisville's MSA. This may not fit into your worldview, but that's just the way it is.
I agree with you. Size wise, the difference is really mega burbs like Mason. Also, Louisville's Indiana burbs are not nearly as developed as Cincy's KY burbs. Therein lies the metro difference.

If you want to throw in Dayton to Cincy, you can just as easily throw in Lexington, Richmond, Frankfort, Elizabethtown, Scottsburg, and Seymour to Louisiville, making it in the 2.5 million range.

My thoughts on Cincy is the whole north suburbs are almost feeling like their own world compared to the city of Cincinnati. Often, the two worlds don't even cross. Some of the fastest growth in Louisville is off exit 25 on I-71. Likewise, some of the fastest growth in Cincy is actually Boone County, KY in the exit 75-78 range. Right now there is only 50 miles of rural area between the cities. I can see in 50 years the Louisville/Lexington/Dayton/Cincinnati mega region being able to attract much more business as a super region of 6 million people versus what you have now.

I think this is much more likely than Cincy joining with Indy or Columbus because of the present growth patterns. It is something for the region to think about.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:37 PM

6 posts, read 8,392 times
Check out Clifton, Hartwell, and Oakley. You may particularly like Over-the-Rhine and Northside too based on your liberal leanings and enjoying cooler, urban areas.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:51 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
The fact that Cincinnati is a "conservative, corporate, business oriented city" may be its greatest asset. Few other American cities its size are able to sustain the array of cultural amenities that Cincinnati does--and the reason why it can is because of its large and influential corporations.

First, consider that Cincinnati is home to more Fortune 500 companies than any other Midwestern city than Chicago, Minn/St Paul or Detroit. Second, consider that three of these F500 companies dominate American retailing. Not only is Kroger the nation's largest grocery chain, but it's also the world's third largest retailer (after Wal-Mart and Costco). In turn, Procter & Gamble is the world's largest consumer-products company and finally, Macy's is the nation's largest department-store chain. And all three of their headquarters are centered only blocks from each other in the downtown core.

What this all means to our blue-collar OP's existence may seem inconsequential, but it's not--namely because she will soon realize that blue-collar and white-collar pass by each other every day in the city, but that they inhabit parallel universes far apart. And that's why the critics are often so lacking when they try to critique Cincinnati; what they hope to look at up close is so out of reach.

Detractors want everyone to think that Cincinnati's nothing more than a provincial boondocks stuck next to backwater Kentucky. So maybe it does appear that way to tumble-weeds stranded at the Greyhound bus station or visitors whose only measure of a city is the hip coolness, raw energy, and gritty existence of street people and bars.

Cincinnati does have the bus terminal, street people, plus the bars and the grit, but it also has people who may never, ever be seen. These individuals simply cannot be scrutinized indiscriminately in meaningless street encounters or causal associations. Obviously, they're Cincinnati's wealthiest, most refined, educated, well-traveled and beautiful citizens. Who examines them and their influence, this powerful elite who provide the city the high-culture and class it has? Certainly not our vocal critics here.
And here I thought all along that if I wanted to run in these same circles that the way to do it was to complain, feel entitled, and blame everyone else and past history for my problems. Who knew?!?

/sarcasm

Who examines them? People that actually want to acquire that level of status. People that have the courage to make the necessary risks to someday run in those same circles. The people that don't have their head so far up their self indulging ass that they can take the time to learn from others and see how others made their success to that they may replicate.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:06 PM

35 posts, read 52,983 times
Since this thread was recently bumped from months ago, I post with the hopes that OP was able to find a helpful response in this mess. I am sure any of us would be happy to answer remaining questions.

Please leave Louisville out of this. Nobody really cares and it is not even on OPs radar. The facts are that Cincinnati is bigger, and the cities are both similar and different. Lousiville doesn't need defended on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati