U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 9,584 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are relocating to Cincinnati in a few months and were just visiting the West Chester, Mason, Liberty Township area looking at new home developments. Need some advice/thoughts on a few. We have narrowed it down to The Trails at Four Bridges in Liberty, Willow Brooke in Mason, and Grace Meadows in West Chester. I love the community feel of The Trails but they are in the last phase of building (about 10 lots left) so not sure if it's a good choice since we would be buying at the high end of pricing. The house we would want would run about $415K. Would the home hold it's value? Is this a wise choice? Grace Meadows would run about $465K but no community pool, park, etc. which I like especially because we have two young kids. Willow Brooke has a community pool but is next to a water treatment center (not sure if that's an issue) and the taxes are higher and the lots not as desirable. However, I think we would be buying in the earlier stages in these two communities. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 09:20 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,737,226 times
It's so hard to say. I know people in liberty township who spent what you're talking about and then some over ten years ago at that development. I think prices have actually gone down in the later phases, not up.

but, all you can do is find something that you are satisfied with and pay the prevailing price. good luck with your search. in general, mason is a tighter market.

if you are working downtown, the mason commute might be somewhat less miserable.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 9,584 times
Thanks for the quick reply. That is my fear. The Trails is my first choice but since we are relocating we are not sure how long we will stay. Just don't want to lose money on a new construction home if we move again in a few year.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:51 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,229,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
It's so hard to say. I know people in liberty township who spent what you're talking about and then some over ten years ago at that development. I think prices have actually gone down in the later phases, not up.

but, all you can do is find something that you are satisfied with and pay the prevailing price. good luck with your search. in general, mason is a tighter market.

if you are working downtown, the mason commute might be somewhat less miserable.
THe recession hit some of the larger (more expensive) communities in the 'burbs. As a result, prices are just now getting back to what they were. So, while I think (depending on the 'burb) there's no reason to lose money, I would not buy the most expensive house in the neighborhood (never a good idea in any location).

Old 06-15-2015, 07:56 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,792,237 times
Best advice I can give is to start the search over again.

Spend less money and buy an "older" house in a great community. For instance, make it a priority to be in Mason or Blue Ash or Loveland or Lebanon and buy something well within your means. You'll be a lot more likely to keep the house value or increase it upon leaving.

I have said it before, but I would NOT spend over $300k anywhere in Lakota Schools unless you are moving to Wetherington, Carriage Hill, or maybe Four Bridges. So one out of the three options might work. Otherwise you are throwing your money down a drain, school quality has be degrading for ~10 years and shows no signs of stopping since every levy is a battle to even get the smallest increases for necessary infrastructure improvements. Also "West Chester" (WC Twp. and Liberty Twp.) are making few to no investments in community aesthetics like landscaping, sidewalks, adequate streets, parks, etc. so don't expect people to put up with it for much longer as other communities steal this market. Maineville / Little Miami Schools is likely to have the same issue.

As for the place in Mason near the water Treatment plant, do yourself a favor and stay far away. Nothing says "no resale value" like bad neighbors. Heck, I know a family that could barely sell their Fischer-built '90's West Chester home 10 years back because their property backed up to a cemetery. And the house was priced appropriately and in a high demand market pre-Housing bubble. Don't take the risk.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2015, 09:05 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,466,258 times
Four Bridges would be nice if you wanted to join the Country Club. A social membership is not terribly expensive and it has a large and socially active membership. I thought the new Mason subdivision had several tree lined back yards when I drove thru it.....additionally, they will be building a "cut thru" road thru Carmelle so you can bypass the Rt. 741 / Rt. 42 intersection in the next couple years....so you will be able to drive thru Carmelle to get to the new subdivision you're talking about.

There's convenient express bus routes from both West Chester and Mason to downtown. Route 42 and Route 71. They are life savers.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:02 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,027,607 times
Two separate friends of mine got stuck with homes in those areas when they were relo'ed, one to New York, the other to Singapore. It became clear to both of them that the only people who were looking at the homes were intent on new construction in the next subdivision over...their homes were simply being used as models, since it was cheaper to build than to buy. In the case of the former, they kept it and used it as an expensive rental property. In the case of the latter, their company finally bought the house.

While the sprawl in that part of town is appalling, building may be the way to go, since many of these types of homes that have been built in the last 15 years or so may be in need of major maintenance. There's a certain planned obsolescence in these homes...the materials used just don't last. I was at a grill out recently in a neighborhood of 15 to 20 year old homes, and all the people were talking about is the $20k-$30k they had to spend on new windows, or the rot and mold behind the siding, leaking plumbing in the walls, and such.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:53 PM

21 posts, read 69,180 times
I agree with everything said above and have lived in several of those communities.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:59 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,144,270 times
I almost bought new in Willow Brooke but decided to keep looking and wound up buying used in Mason. This was 2 years ago. Willow Brooke is Lakota schools. Also watch out for the pool parties at these places. Might run into an instance where people believe that parents shouldn't be held accountable for their illegal actions.

*Cough* fairfield pool *cough*

Old 06-24-2015, 05:02 PM

3,751 posts, read 10,229,734 times
[quote=maxmodder;40148804]I almost bought new in Willow Brooke but decided to keep looking and wound up buying used in Mason. This was 2 years ago. Willow Brooke is Lakota schools. Also watch out for the pool parties at these places. Might run into an instance where people believe that parents shouldn't be held accountable for their illegal actions.

*Cough* fairfield pool *cough*[/
QUOTE]

Is there any way that's helpful to the OP...?

They won't know what you're talking about. And, as the situation itself is controversial, how do you know they'd see your side of it?

Really, there's not much reason to keep dragging these types of issues into non related threads.

(see the comments on the thread about the recent death of the officer ... or rather see the fact that the moderator deleted numerous comments that were significantly off topic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati