Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 01:11 PM

9 posts, read 14,399 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I've read a ton of threads on there about people relocating to Cincy, but almost all of them are married couples with kids. That's totally not me, so I was hoping for some help.

Lived in Cincy a couple times as a kid (went to Lebanon HS), but never as an adult. So hoping I could get some advice where to look as a single guy with no kids who's in his early 40's. Not a downtown dweller, and need access to highways for work. Details below.

. Where is you current location and environment?
Denver, CO north suburbs. Just over a mile to the nearest rec center.
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?
Similar. I workout 4+ days a week and like to run in parks and areas designated for activity. Areas I can do workouts outside instead of always being indoors on nice days.
. Where will your work location be?
Home office, on road ~50% of time (OH/MI/West PA)
. What is you budget for housing?
Up to $350k preferred
. Rent or buy?
Buy
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family)
Single family or town home style (Patio home would be awesome for lower maintenance but still being a detached home)
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths)
2000+ sqft, 2br w/ office or 3br (no more than 4), 2+ baths
. Other specifics?
Basement (unfinished is fine), patio/deck, open floor plan, smaller lot or zero maintenance living.
. Neighborhood environment?
Active neighborhood with block parties and the like. People who actually know each other and say hi and get together.
. Urban, young professional, nightlife
41, single, no kids, IT professional, over the bar scene, but very physically active in Obstacle Course Racing and the like. So prefer easy access to parks, gyms/rec centers, etc. as well as running paths and any outdoors areas that can be used for workouts.
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
Suburban, more stable investment, but perhaps closer than farther out.
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere
Suburban, Low maintenance would be awesome (patio homes, single building house with little to no maintenance would be ideal)
. Family oriented
Not so much, but I know Cincy as a whole is family oriented so I may be out of luck for a more SINKs/DINKs scene, especially in my age bracket.
. Lots of same age kids, activities
Would love a city/town that has things to do, places to go, activities - farmers markets, parks, shopping, restaurants, etc.
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready
I don't mind having to redo a kitchen/bath/flooring/etc. I just prefer not to have a full on gut where walls have to come down and I'm replacing everything.
. Diversity of income, race, housing?
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more)
Smaller yard would be preferred if I can't find a maintenance free patio home style place.
. Very safe, low crime area?
Yes please
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities
Not really important to me. I use a rec center or an actual gym almost exclusively and don't do much swimming these days. If one is there, great. But doesn't matter to me.
. Schools?
No kids, so this is as important but I obviously keep it in mind for future resale.
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
Would love to see grocery stores, Walmart/Target, etc be within a 10-15 minute drive. Also really would love to have parks close by so I can go running and do outside workouts as I will be working from home most of the time.
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
This would be awesome. I can run to my rec center now and that would be nice. I really just need options for gyms close by, similar to places like Lifetime Fitness, but also small gyms run by a few people where everyone knows each other. Fitness is very important to me, from both a health and social perspective.
. Close proximity to public transportation?
Not really important. I do need access to the highways, as I will be traveling to Columbus as well as Michigan and parts of Pennsylvania for work.
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues
Parks yes, not so much on youth stuff.
. Jogging & biking trails
YES PLEASE!!

I'm not much on really old homes. Although a sweet mid-century modern could change my mind. I prefer newer homes that won't need a ton of work. My current place needed a kitchen and 2 bathroom remodels, and I'm totally up for stuff like that. I just don't want to have to tear apart an entire house to the studs and start over.

Thank you for taking the time to ready and reply, knowing it's another relo question. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 01:22 PM

610 posts, read 796,395 times
Wow, you are the first person I know to ever answer all the questions. Nice work!

As I read through the city that kept coming to mind was Loveland. Really nice area, has a 70 mile bike/running trail. Seems to meet most of your requirements. It is about a 30 minute commute to downtown though.

Here's a link to the trail:
Loveland Ohio Bike Trail, Maps, Suggested rides, Events, Loveland Ohio, Bike Trails

Old 06-15-2015, 02:41 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Wow, you are the first person I know to ever answer all the questions. Nice work!

As I read through the city that kept coming to mind was Loveland. Really nice area, has a 70 mile bike/running trail. Seems to meet most of your requirements. It is about a 30 minute commute to downtown though.

Here's a link to the trail:
Loveland Ohio Bike Trail, Maps, Suggested rides, Events, Loveland Ohio, Bike Trails
Good call. I'm thinking Blue Ash, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati