Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:36 AM

410 posts, read 586,672 times

Advertisements

Since there are so many Catholic grade schools in Cincinnati you might want to concentrate on an area that you feel comfortable in. You mentioned wanting a newer property that is closer to Downtown. Do you want to rent a house or an apartment? Do you have a pricepoint in mind?

Edited to add link for Catholic grade schools :
http://www.catholiccincinnati.org/mi...chools-office/

Last edited by mimi in cinci; 07-24-2015 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 10:12 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjsu View Post
Hello Zen Master, thank you for your comments. You have hit the nail on the head, in theory I was hoping for an easy answer but in practice it is hard, especially as I don't know the area, nor the differences in education, as my 5 year old is at a Catholic primary school in the UK, which is a public school and no fees are paid. I was hoping to do like for like. I wanted to compare the differences between public versus private, as I have never had to pay a school before. I think we get the opportunity to come and visit, was hoping to tie down the schools/areas to view. So will look at your suggestions.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Public and private schools are named differently in the U.S. vs the UK, at least according to my British friend. He said that public schools in England are what we call private schools in the U.S., and that your state schools are roughly equivalent to what we call public schools.

In the U.S., public schools are supported by tax dollars, while private schools are supported by tuition. Catholic schools are religious affiliated private schools. There are some private schools that have entrance exam criteria, while others will take anyone.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:20 AM

16 posts, read 28,866 times
Hi Mimi lovely to hear from you again and thanks for your help. My husband doesn't want a long commute to Downtown but doesn't want to live around Downtown. I think he seems keen on Mount Lookup and Anderson Township. The company will pay our rent, think around $2K per month. We would prefer a house, he prefers new (bearing in mind our house was built 2005). Myself I don't mind, I would prefer any type house as long as had a back garden, if possible, good schools and a nice location. Thank you so much for the link too.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:26 AM

Chemistry guy thank you, your reply made me chuckle because you are quite right. I was trying to use the American words. As our primary schools in the UK are Elementary in the US.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:49 PM

213 posts, read 674,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis123 View Post
Hi Majjsu,
I wouldnt recommend West Side for an expat, which Ive been before, not very many transplants there, nothing against the place or people but it is pretty insular.
It depends on what area of the west-side. Definitely wouldn't recommend Westwood, Cheviot, or Colerain / White Oak areas for transplants.

But there are a lot of out of town transplants in the far western suburbs, especially the North Bend/Cleves/Miami Heights areas where all those new subdivisions have been springing up in recent years. Even the western / newer part of Delhi has a lot of transplants.

Not sure I'd recommend the Oak Hills public schools anymore but there are some very strong nationally rated catholic grade schools in that area like Our Lady of the Visitation and Our Lady of Victory.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 AM

I appreciate opinions on the areas. Thank you Montrell.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:25 AM

26 posts, read 30,729 times
I am looking at homes in Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout and trying to be within walking diatance to the school my children go to. Not sure if I want public or private. Will probably start with public and then move to private if I need to. Which schools are better--

Public: Kilgour or Hyde Park School?

Private: St. Mary's School or Pacelli?

I am OK with a stricter school if one is stricter/more conservative than another.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:37 PM

410 posts, read 586,672 times
It depends on where you live for Kilgour or Hyde Park School. They are both public neighborhood schools that have boundaries. Hyde Park also houses Cincinnati Gifted Academy (grades 3-6) which is a magnet school for CPS.

Hyde Park School

St. Mary's and Cardinal Pacelli are both traditional parish schools. I would suggest a visit to see which one is a better fit for your family. You might want to schedule a visit at St. Ursula Villa in Mt. Lookout, also. It's a private Catholic grade school that is not parish based so there are families from all over the city.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:40 AM

26 posts, read 30,729 times
@mimi in cincy, are any of those schools more diverse than others? I would prefer more diversity and know there may not be as much on that side of town.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:22 AM

114 posts, read 228,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_boxster View Post
@mimi in cincy, are any of those schools more diverse than others? I would prefer more diversity and know there may not be as much on that side of town.
Hyde Park School is probably the most diverse of those 4 because it draws from Hyde Park, Oakley, and parts of Evanston. Plus the gifted academy draws from the entire city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: