Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,404 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

The wife and I (early 30s) and our 2 kids are with the in-laws in Miami township after an interstate move, but need to buy (sub-$130k, cosmetic repairs okay). Rent is not really possible given as she runs a business from home and needs a lot of space. I'm to start teaching near Eastgate mall and dislike commuting.

Buying near downtown Loveland would be nice - Bike trails, parks, somewhat walkable, that elusive 'character' and a downtown of sorts, good schools, convenient to family. But it's 25 minutes to Eastgate, and sometimes feels a million miles from downtown, and I'm a city boy at heart.

So I've been trying to find neighborhoods that would be worth giving up regular free babysitting for. I'm not sure if Fairfax fits the bill but it seems fine - cheap, good schools, walkable to Mariemont, near river, parks, and trails, easier to Eastgate and to downtown. What am I missing?

Old Milford is a maybe, but I don't know enough about the neighborhood. Newtown? Anderson? Union township? Any advice on daily life here, or are there other areas I should consider?

-----

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry?
. What specific topic have you not found answers to?
Eastside options at under $130k

. Where is you current location and environment?
Miami township with in laws
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?
Definitely a change, sidewalks are a priority

. Where will your work location be?
. Maximum commute time desired?
Near Eastgate mall, ideally 20 summer minutes

. What is your budget for housing?
$130k buy, single family, 1200sqft+, 3/1.5, can do cosmetic repairs

. Neighborhood environment?
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
. Family oriented
. Lots of same age kids, activities
. Great schools
. Older, distinctive architecture
. All Diversity fine
. Yard - small okay, but need one
. Can tolerate some degree of crime, I've lived in the city before
. No association

. Public school, ideally tight knit and high quality/improving

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks
. Town/city community center for adults & kids
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs
. Close proximity to public transportation?
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues
. Jogging & biking trails
Yes to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 06:08 PM

688 posts, read 1,116,824 times
While no one would confuse Camp Dennison with anything resembling the city, it is situated directly on the expansive bike trail system and would permit a short (maybe a mile or two) ride to downtown Milford. Demographics should be somewhat favorable. Feeds into Indian Hills schools if I'm not mistaken. Housing stock is going to be similar to Old Loveland or Old Milford.

To check off some of the items on your list:

Crime? Non-existent.
Parks? Yes, a big one in fact exclusive to residents of Indian Hill. Other options are abundance of open fields surrounding the area where they occasionally perform Civil War reenactments and the Little Miami River runs right through Camp Dennison.
Trails? Yes. See above.
Community Centers/Facilities? Not that I'm aware of. Maybe something affiliated with Symmed Twp or Milford or Indian Hill possibly.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:58 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Do try Milford. I have several friends who have lived there for 20+ years, and they love it. Their neighborhood is between Main Street and the river; there's quite a range of housing, all built in the early 20th Century. A similar neighborhood is South Milford. Downtown Cincinnati is a not-unreasonable dash via !-275 and I-471, or U.S. 50.

Anderson Township is a large, typical postwar suburb with a solid school district. Some of the streets will have sidewalks, some won't. The residential areas are mostly built as subdivisions coming off old farm lanes; not much of a grid system at all.

Union and Pierce townships in Clermont County are very similar to Anderson - Pierce is a little more upscale, and some of the subdivisions in Union Township have been showing a little wear, so you might be able to find an inexpensive home - and you'd be living in the same school district you're working in. The development is mostly typical postwar subdivisions, and the tiny towns that once dotted the map within the township (Glen Este, Willowville, Withamsville, Summerside) have been mostly wiped off the map by development, except for Mt. Carmel, just west of the mall.

You might even consider Batavia, the county seat, about 5 miles east of Glen Este. It doesn't have as much charm as Loveland or Milford, and is much smaller but it has some nice historic housing and a reasonably good school district.

Fairfax is OK, it's in the Mariemont school district, and has a community pool. The houses and lots are small, so be prepared for that.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:00 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
I'll second what Ohiogirl81 posted.

Milford is overall your best option as far as choice goes, but the others are good too.
In particular the Camp Dennison recommendation is interesting and worth looking into.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2015, 09:05 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
btw here's some options in Milford

601 Garfield Ave, Milford, OH 45150 is For Sale | Zillow
544 Cooper Ave, Milford, OH 45150 is For Sale | Zillow
519 Dot St, Milford, OH 45150 is For Sale | Zillow

Old 07-13-2015, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Drove through Milford today, will take a walk around when I don't fear drowning. I do wonder whether it would be an upgrade on Loveland though, since it's not terribly convenient.

I'll check out any houses that come to market in Camp Dennison, it's certainly a curveball!

It's easy to knock subdivisions and the suburban life; it's popular for a reason! But public transport, lazy evenings people-watching in public squares, and walking to a neighborhood bar is what I've known, and it would be nice to have a little piece of that here.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 PM

224 posts, read 297,172 times
Seems to me the drive from Milford to Eastgate would be fairly easy - not clear why you say it isn't terribly convenient.

With the situation you've described, Milford would be my first choice, though I have never been to Camp Dennison and can't comment on it.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
Seems to me the drive from Milford to Eastgate would be fairly easy - not clear why you say it isn't terribly convenient.

With the situation you've described, Milford would be my first choice, though I have never been to Camp Dennison and can't comment on it.
You're right, I wasn't very clear. What I meant was old Loveland to eastgate is 24-25 minutes, while old Milford to eastgate is still 18-19 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati