Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 PM

20 posts, read 26,115 times

Advertisements

I'm potentially moving to Cincinnati in a few weeks and have a few questions. I'm 27/M and single. I've been to Cincinnati a few times and have been out in Mount Adams, which was a lot of fun. From reading these forums, OTR is really up and coming, but maybe a bit too hipster. Any other suggestions for neighborhoods? I do enjoy nightlife and sports, both playing and watching.

My job would be in West Chester. My questions are:

-parking in either neighborhood... Advantages and disadvantages of each?

- commute time on I75 if I left at 7AM and left work to come home at 4:30PM. Is it worse leaving or entering the city in the morning?

- how safe is OTR at night? How easy is it to find yourself on the wrong street if you're not familiar with the area?

I would be comfortable with $1000/month rent but I'd rather not spend more unless the place was just fantastic.

Thank you for considering my questions!

Last edited by zogster; 08-26-2015 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:18 PM

688 posts, read 1,116,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
I'm potentially moving to Cincinnati in a few weeks and have a few questions. I'm 27/M and single. I've been to Cincinnati a few times and have been out in Mount Adams, which was a lot of fun. From reading these forums, OTR is really up and coming, but maybe a bit too hipster. Any other suggestions for neighborhoods? I do enjoy nightlife and sports, both playing and watching.

- commute time on I75 if I left at 7AM and left work to come home at 4:30PM. Is it worse leaving or entering the city in the morning?

- how safe is OTR at night? How easy is it to find yourself on the wrong street if you're not familiar with the area?

Mt. Adams is expensive. Parking is a PITA. OTR is the proverbial "up and coming" part of the city. ten years ago no one was saying that. But for all intents and purposes it is a success story. I would say it is possible to find yourself on the wrong side of the tracks if you are not familiar with the area.

Consider other neighborhoods where the younger demo resides - Oakley, Mt. Lookout, and Hyde Park are solid choices. If you consider your local corner bar "going out" then Blue Ash, Silverton, and even Kenwood could be options.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 AM

610 posts, read 796,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post

I would be comfortable with $1000/month rent but I'd rather not spend more unless the place was just fantastic.

Parking can vary from street to street but it will be hard in both Mt Adams and OTR. You might look in to a monthly garage if you have trouble.

From both OTR and Mt Adams you're probably looking at 30 minute commute each morning and probably a little longer in the afternoon. Basically because 75 is just the worst.

OTR is safe at night if you stick the revitalized areas (south of Liberty Street). It has been up and coming for a long time because it's a very large neighborhood and it costs a lot of money to rehab 100+ year old buildings. Use your common sense at night and you should be okay.

Mt Adams always feels a bit too college bar dominated for my taste where OTR has bars and restaurant's that anyone can enjoy.

The other city neighborhood you should look at is Oakley. Great big square with plenty of night life options.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Your commute's going to be a bit of PITA, but as long as you make peace with that, you'll be fine.

I commuted from Northside to WC for work for about 6 months -- there are plenty of other people making "the reverse commute" every morning. There are certain places where traffic will just stop in the morning (I-75 at the bend to the Norwood Lateral, coming up on GE (mile marker 15), I-275 - for no apparent reason. And again on the drive home. Southbound (afternoon commute), its really the worst right around the Lockland split.

But, you'll figure out the pattern and adjust, its not like it will take you two hours, but pushing 1 hour (for what is really a 30 minute drive) won't be totally unlikely.

If you hop on I-71 instead of I-75, you might avoid some of it, but I-71 angles NE, so unless you change from 71-> 75 early on (like the norwood lateral), you're really driving a bit out of your way. Of course, might be worth it, depending on different congestion patterns.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:36 AM

236 posts, read 318,965 times
Most of Mount Adam's bars are restaurants do have a more college or immediately post college vibe. There are exceptions of course like the Blind Lemon. Parking can be next to impossible if you live in the wrong area. Normally it's not a big deal to park a few blocks away and walk but those hills are steep.

OTR is a bit hipsterish, but it's not overwhelming IMO. As long as you stay South of Liberty around the park or on Main and Vine Streets you should have no problem. If you have basic street smarts you'll do just fine.

Both neighborhoods are VERY urban my Midwestern standards. Some may not like all the density, personally I loved it but it's not for everyone.

As far as the drive, my experience was that it's worse in the afternoon trying to get back into the city. Leave as early as you are able.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:59 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
I'd also throw in recommendations for Newport on the Levee (new Apt. complex going up right next to it, across the street from Hofbrauhaus) and the Banks/downtown.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:04 PM

224 posts, read 297,079 times
If I was in your demographic, I'd look at Oakley.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:02 PM

20 posts, read 26,115 times
What areas in Oakley are best?

Is there a north/south/east/west "border" of OTR that you don't want to venture outside of? I have found a new complex, Mercer Commons, but from what I have read it may be a bit far West in OTR to be in the safest areas. It apparently has a parking garage which would be a huge plus, however.

I am visiting Cincinnati this weekend to go look around, any advice tonight/tomorrow would be very helpful!

Old 09-04-2015, 07:57 AM

236 posts, read 318,965 times
Mercer Commons is perfectly fine, it's in maybe the most gentrified area of OTR. It's on Vine St which is one of the two busiest streets in OTR. You'll have easy access to packaged food at the nearby Kroger (although was still pretty sketchy when I was there last, fresh produce at Finley Market, tons of restaurants and bars on Vine Street and easy access to downtown or Clifton should you need anything else. There's plenty of pedestrian traffic. Easy access to Washington Park as well, which is West of Mercer Commons and still very safe. The streetcar (while severely overrated by it's proponents and even more underrated by it's detractors) will be a block or two away giving you access to a fairly decent mode of transit.

During the day, you will be fine walking through just about anywhere South of Liberty. Stick on Main and Market Streets and Washington Park and you'll have zero issues. East of Sycamore isn't bad by any means, but there's not much in the way of businesses past that. At night I'd recommend driving if you want to go to Rhinegeist. Walking to Finley Market during the day should offer you no trouble. Most people who feel it is severely dangerous only believe so because the have a dramatic fear of African Americans IMO. If you have any street sense, just follow that and you won't have a problem. If you're not comfortable on a street, don't go down it.

As for stuff outside of OTR, I'd highly recommend dinner/drinks at Mecklenburg Gardens or Dewey's Pizza in Clifton or City View Tavern or the Blind Lemon in Mt. Adams. There's been so much new stuff in OTR since I lived there last, it's tough to keep up but Taste of Belgium is fantastic and I thought the Eagle was quite good when I went. Downtown wise I'd recommend either Arnold's or Morelein Lager House.

Checkout Neons for beer, Japps for cocktails, and do everything you can to get to Rhinegiest if you are a beer person. Be sure to spend some time at the new parks at the Banks (between the stadiums, there is a ton of parking underground) and don't miss spending a few minutes at Fountain Square, one of my favorite urban plazas in the US.

I realize that is more than anyone could achieve on a long weekend much less a day and a half but that is the shortlist of things to go to. Enjoy your time, typing all this out makes me wish I was spending the weekend there haha.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:01 AM

610 posts, read 796,395 times
Kevin nailed it on OTR.

As far as Oakley, the 2 new big apartment projects are very nice and you can walk to everything on Oakley Square:
The Boulevard Apartments for rent in Cincinnati, OH 45209 and http://www.madmarflats.com/

Lots of older buildings along Madison road that rent. Most of them should be fine between Oakley Square (at Markbreit Ave) down to Edwards Ave.

Oakley has a few bars and restaurants. Habits is more established bar with good food, nice patio. Animations is a pool hall. The Oak is your typical bar, I mean that in a good way. Oakley Pub and Grill is college kids. Sleepy Bee has delicious breakfast. Plus there's a Fresh Market and CVS right the middle of it all. Also, Mad Tree Brewing is just around the corner the square on Kennedy Ave. Maybe a 5 minute drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati