U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 PM

710 posts, read 2,012,037 times

Advertisements

Maderia, great schools, somewhat close to the urban core, kids can walk to the library
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 07:16 AM

2,462 posts, read 5,655,746 times
Knolls of Liberty is a nice development, located not too far from Tylersville Road (main shopping thoroughfare in Liberty Twp/West Chester. The original builder (Ryan) pulled out there (pulled out of all of Butler County) due to perceived loss of profit in the area, I don't know who is building there now (Perhaps Ashford or Dixon).

Monroe Crossing, your budget is too upscale for that area. I know you don't need to spend your whole budget, but honestly, I just think you'll be disappointed in that area.

Monroe is nice, and with the approved outlet malls at the highway - it will be growing, but I don't think it sounds like what you are looking for yet.

Personal suggestion - Cedar Trace in Lebanon. Its where we are building. 1 acre lots, 4 bdrm homes. They have about 20 lots left to build on, and there may be 1 home or two for sale in there. Development of maybe 150 homes.

Also Countryside in Lebanon. Right next to the Countryside YMCA (one of the largest Y's in Cincinnati area) with multiple pools, classes, bike trails etc..

Super cute development - nice big grassy park like common areas. Home sites are average for new development - 1/4 to 1/3 of acre

Also South of there (towards Mason/Mainville) there a couple of "miami" developments - access to the little miami bike trail, a lot of families.

Your best bet is to find a good local realtor and start calling. Or, if you want to build - look up the local builders (Ryan, Ashford, Dixon, Drees, Ryland, Beazer, Fischer, etc..) and find their communities that have the amenities you want.

Oh, even if you have an expressed preference for suburbs, a lot of people here will try to steer you towards the city, or the older near-ring suburbs. There a lot of people on the Cinci boards who are anti-sprawl and will always vote against Lebanon, Monroe, LIberty Twp, Mason, etc..

Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:42 AM

7 posts, read 9,986 times
Thanks Briolat21! That's the kind of info I'm looking for!! Since you are building in Cedar Trace, which builders are there? I figure that's probably the best way to look it up since I don't think you can search by subdivision on realtor.com
I've heard a lot of differing opinions on Lebanon..but have only been through there once (very briefly too) and didn't see what is considered the "downtown" area. I've heard some people say it's very small town and cute..but others describe it as scary??
If you wouldn't mind..can you tell me a little about it? Thanks so much!

Also, I see what you mean about those trying to steer you to the city...I've tried to read lots of posts before creating my own thread and it seems like city living IS very popular!! It's not something we would usually be opposed to..but are ruling it out simply because of distance from our family in Columbus and Cleveland....Lebanon would put us at a little over 2 hours from Columbus and a little over 3 from Cleveland....the closer we get to the city the closer my husband is to work (which is nice..but he's used to 2 hours in traffic everyday one way) but further from the family we've been desperately trying to move closer to for 7 years!! So, obviously not directed at you..but anyone who may read my post and try and steer...at least I have my reasoning so they don't waste their time Thanks so much for all your great advice!!!!!

Last edited by OHIOorBUST; 02-02-2008 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Forgot to comment on city living!

Old 02-03-2008, 06:04 AM

2,462 posts, read 5,655,746 times
I'm going to PM you with some of the details re: Lebanon and Cedar Trace.

I personally think city living is fine for people who want that, old suburbs fine for people who want that, and new houses fine for people who want that. So ultimately I have no preference where anyone goes. But it does irritate me a little when the same people in every thread keep suggesting things that are not necessarily compatible with what the Original Poster is looking for.

The city IS great. Just not great for EVERYONE.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:32 PM

10 posts, read 19,647 times
I'm looking too- relocating from Columbus. Did you check out Sycamore School District- the cities are Montgomery and Blue Ash. Am also considering Mason. Try Buy a home. Sell your home. Find a real estate agent. Real Living. as a resource for homes- it is more accurate than realtor.com. I hadn't heard of Liberty so I'm going to check that out.

edit: Just checked out Lakota school district on greatschools.net- I'm not too impressed with their ranking compared to the districts I mentioned above...

Last edited by Looney1; 04-03-2008 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 PM

25,438 posts, read 31,935,289 times
OHIOorBUST, there's nothing scary about Lebanon, and I can't imagine anyone describing it as such. It's a quintessential,old-fashioned small town (if you've ever seen the movies Harper Valley PTA or Milk Money, you've seen downtown Lebanon) with antique shops, restaurants, an old-fashioned hardware store, banks, post office, library, city hall, county courthouse, Victorian homes, etc. Brick sidewalks, train station, and the whole nine yards.

My take on the city/near suburbs vs. the newer suburbs is this: You go to work every day. You do not visit your family in Columbus or Cleveland every day. Compare the extra half-hour it would take to drive to Columbus or Cleveland every couple of weeks vs. the extra half-hour it takes to drive to work every day.

I drove every day for five years from Lebanon to the east side of Cincinnati, and then moved closer to my job. What a difference! I had more spare time, was less stressed, and began to actually enjoy the commute to work. I would have gone insane had I made that drive one day longer than I did!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:39 PM

28 posts, read 67,254 times
If you are working downtown, Anderson Township, and Eastgate area have tons of houses that fit your specs. Plus only a 20-25 minute commute vs. 30 plus from Butler or Warren County.

Plenty of new or recently built houses, decent schools etc.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 AM

7 posts, read 9,986 times
Thanks everyone for all the info! I actually haven't been on this site in a while because I wasn't getting too many responses and now I have lots!
Ohiogirl81, Thanks for all the info on Lebanon! It sounds great to me! As for the travel to and from work, My husband will be working downtown and I will continue to do what I've done for 4 years and stay home with our kids until they are in school full time. I know 1/2 hour commute may seem long to most, but my husband sits in DC traffic on average 2 hours each way to work everyday!! If we lived in Lebanon we'd be the same distance we are from DC now but his commute time would likely be a 1/4 of what he's used to I can't speak from experience, but I can tell you that my husband is a bear after he's sat in that traffic..so I understand you wanting to get closer, I think it's the thing he's most excited for with the transfer!! I completely understand what you're saying about not placing too much weight on the distance to our extended family..but after living 8 hours away we are very excited to be much closer!! We will be on our house hunting trip in May and can't wait to see all the areas in person..I think that will make a huge difference in our decision! Thanks for all the info!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 PM

23 posts, read 127,173 times
Have you thought about looking in the Northern Kentucky area? For your price range, you can get a very nice home in a great suburb. Close to everything...shopping, restaurants, international airport, and yes...downtown Cincy to see the museums, Reds and Bengals games. Wherever you choose to live, welcome to Cincinnati, I hope you and your family love it!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:58 AM

246 posts, read 622,108 times
Two places of good information.....
Check out this link, it breaks down a lot of neighborhood information
http://www.cincybusinessmag.com/medi.../RTB-top47.pdf

Also, I am not sure where you are working but if it is downtown, the commute to West Chester/liberty twnship can be awful. Of course, that is relative...you are coming from DC, so you probably wouldnt flinch at that commute.

I would highly recommend Sycamore School District. Check out sibcycline.com, it is one of the few housing/realtors websites that you can search for houses by school district. I personally live in Montgomery, but Sycamore pulls from several neighborhoods, MOntgomery, Symmes Twnship, Blue Ash, and Sycamore Twnship. YOu can definitely find a nice house in the range that you mentioned above.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati