U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2015, 06:40 AM
 
1,577 posts, read 1,669,258 times
Reputation: 1683

Advertisements

Time to buy some property around Wilmington on the cheap?


A Secretive Air Cargo Operation Is Running in Ohio, and Signs Point to Amazon | Motherboard
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2015, 08:46 AM
 
3,763 posts, read 11,240,089 times
Reputation: 6775
While I'm pretty sure finding property around Wilimington on the cheap wouldn't be a particularly difficult task ... I thank you for posting this.

Very interesting article.

Not surprising really that Amazon might be getting into the transportation game, but I can see why they'd want to keep that quiet (would be harder to negotiate great prices with UPS/USPS/FedEx if they know you're about to try to supplant them)

For Wilmington's sake - I hope this (whatever it is) turns into a full time venture and supports some full time jobs in the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,530 posts, read 4,257,444 times
Reputation: 1879
Agreed, a really informative article, but also a troubling one. Most certainly, Wilmington should cheer such good tidings as this, but what will the city (and to a lesser extent, the region) actually be be receiving? Maybe either a gift-horse or a trojan-horse, considering Amazon's ulterior purposes.

This retail giant already employs thousands in NKY in proximity to CVG, and will do so shortly in central Ohio upon completion of large distribution centers in Obetz/Etna, in proximitry to both Rickenbacker and Port Columbus. So exactly why would Amazon wish to utilize Wilmington, except for heavy-duty holiday shipping? Yes, Wilmington's air park can handle any such needs and more, but Amazon could conceivably end up dominating Midwestern retailing from such an ideal centralized airport as this.

So, just what is happening here and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 11:25 AM
 
3,763 posts, read 11,240,089 times
Reputation: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Agreed, a really informative article, but also a troubling one. Most certainly, Wilmington should cheer such good tidings as this, but what will the city (and to a lesser extent, the region) actually be be receiving? Maybe either a gift-horse or a trojan-horse, considering Amazon's ulterior purposes.

This retail giant already employs thousands in NKY in proximity to CVG, and will do so shortly in central Ohio upon completion of large distribution centers in Obetz/Etna, in proximitry to both Rickenbacker and Port Columbus. So exactly why would Amazon wish to utilize Wilmington, except for heavy-duty holiday shipping? Yes, Wilmington's air park can handle any such needs and more, but Amazon could conceivably end up dominating Midwestern retailing from such an ideal centralized airport as this.

So, just what is happening here and why?
The article seems to hint at Amazon getting into the transportation game long-term... which, in that situation, sounds like it could be a win in getting some more stable opportunities to Wilmington.

Funny, because years ago "integrated" business models (ford owned rubber plantations to grow rubber to make tires, etc...) were the way to do it ... and then all the conglomerates broke apart and sold off their "non-core" interests (P&G has been doing this for a decade +) to concentrate on one or two aspects of their business ... contracting out all the other steps/work.

Amazon seems to be going back to more of an "integrated model" ... especially their media empire (producing content, selling a means to view content, selling the means to access that content..)

So shipping would fit right into that scenario.

Interesting to see what plays out... hope ultimately its a stable utilization of that airport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,530 posts, read 4,257,444 times
Reputation: 1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
...Amazon seems to be going back to more of an "integrated model" ... especially their media empire (producing content, selling a means to view content, selling the means to access that content..)

So shipping would fit right into that scenario.

Interesting to see what plays out... hope ultimately its a stable utilization of that airport.
I appreciate your insightful observations and, like you, I want something good to happen for Wilmington.

Neverthess, as much as I've personally benefited from Amazon and admire the company for how it's revolutionized retailing, I've not lost sight of also how quickly it has evolved into the arch nemesis of so many other retailers, including Macy's in Cincinnati and L Brands in Columbus.

Let's face it - if you were either Terry Lundgren or Les Wexner, wouldn't you be a little distraught to learn that Jeff Bezos was seen snooping around Wilmington, Ohio? (such an admirable retailing genius...such a shape-shifting T1000 retailing presence)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Northside, Cincinnati Ohio
26 posts, read 30,709 times
Reputation: 41
My Wife's family is from and remains in Wilmington. Its unbelievable how often they talk about the good ole days when Airborne and then DHL were operating up there and the town was booming. Then they usually like to point out that the Bengals used to use Wilmington College for training camp. Now its a lifeless small town with a serious drug problem. Meth lab busts are routine there these days and route 68 that connects Wilmington and Dayton via 35 has become something of a heroin highway. So anything that can bring some jobs, money, and life back to Wilmington would be a great thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2015, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,530 posts, read 4,257,444 times
Reputation: 1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCity45223 View Post
My Wife's family is from and remains in Wilmington. Its unbelievable how often they talk about the good ole days when Airborne and then DHL were operating up there and the town was booming. Then they usually like to point out that the Bengals used to use Wilmington College for training camp. Now its a lifeless small town with a serious drug problem. Meth lab busts are routine there these days and route 68 that connects Wilmington and Dayton via 35 has become something of a heroin highway. So anything that can bring some jobs, money, and life back to Wilmington would be a great thing.
I share such feelings about Wilmington. Personally, as an OSU student of long ago who drove back and forth between Cincy and Cbus on a heavily-traveled Rt. 22 before I-71 was fully completed, I can remember how vital and alive Wilmington once was.

Then, decades later as a truck driver in the early 1990's, I recall my many trips, via Rt.73, from Franklin to both Wilmington itself and farther on to Hillsboro, where I routinely passed closely by Airborne's huge operation. As you mentioned, nothing like that in the dead town today, except for this dream of Amazon's redeeming presence.

Last edited by motorman; 11-26-2015 at 08:42 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 05:37 AM
 
3,763 posts, read 11,240,089 times
Reputation: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I appreciate your insightful observations and, like you, I want something good to happen for Wilmington.

Neverthess, as much as I've personally benefited from Amazon and admire the company for how it's revolutionized retailing, I've not lost sight of also how quickly it has evolved into the arch nemesis of so many other retailers, including Macy's in Cincinnati and L Brands in Columbus.

Let's face it - if you were either Terry Lundgren or Les Wexner, wouldn't you be a little distraught to learn that Jeff Bezos was seen snooping around Wilmington, Ohio? (such an admirable retailing genius...such a shape-shifting T1000 retailing presence)
I can't say I'm a huge fan of Amazon's work practices, because a lot of info on their fulfillment centers suggests they're pretty brutal.

That said - I am an Amazon prime member, and I do shop for little stuff from them fairly frequently (1x+ per month...) ...

Usually I'll try one or two "brick and mortar" stores, and if I strike out at #2 I'll get frustrated and - Look! They have it on Amazon.

Order it, and its at my house in 2 days (or less).

Hard to beat that -- (instead of driving to store #3, #4, #5 and still striking out).

We mostly use it for odds and ends (shoe glue, a certain door handle, a particular repair part..).

Been very handy for some mower parts when we needed to replace the starter in our mower last summer.



Anyway - all that is to say, the brick and mortar stores will either adapt their business model, or yeah - they'll be significantly affected. Amazon has such a lead right now in online retailing - and all of their years of "not making money" - where they redirected all their profits back into R&D and new models ... are paying off big time as their long term bets in infratructure, etc.. are paying off hugely -- as seen by HUGE profits this year.


I would never compare Macys to Amazon. (That said, Macys has its own problems). I use Amazon mostly like a large online Target or Hardware store. That said, I think the younger generation (which I am not a member of) are much more comfortable with buying clothing/shoes/cosmetics online -- which as that generation continues to age/gain disposable income - will definitely pose a threat to retailers like Macys/Nordstroms...

That said, I think Macys core issues go beyond online competition at the moment.


I hate to see dead/dying towns - anywhere! So as always - hoping for some source of stability for Wilmington and its populace.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 03:47 PM
 
12,078 posts, read 7,791,052 times
Reputation: 23174
The only downside will be that Amazon will now start charging Ohio sales because they will have a facility in Ohio.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 06:17 PM
 
Location: In a happy place
3,834 posts, read 7,399,199 times
Reputation: 7604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The only downside will be that Amazon will now start charging Ohio sales because they will have a facility in Ohio.
As well they should. IMO, They should not have an "advantage" over the other businesses who have invested in the state and have been supporting the infrastructure and services.

I have always had an issue with businesses who were selling in Ohio but not supporting the people. The reason I still purchase very few things online or through the mail if I can purchase it locally. I figure if I can't afford to pay a few extra cents on the dollar to the business that they then pass along to the state along with their due portion, then I probably don't really need it in the first place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 PM.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top