Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy-rise View Post
ohhhhh ok, because that's a creditable source!
exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:58 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsman View Post
G have you been out late at night? i hear on the news it's bad
Actually, when I go back and read this, I sense some sarcasm.

If that was the case, my bad!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:35 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Cincy is not dangerous. Like every place there are good neighborhoods and not so good. If you stay in one of the nice neighborhoods you will be fine. If you stay in one of the not so nice you will still be fine as long as you dont get involved in drugs or worse.

G Man
That sums up the whole discussion nicely. I've lived in many of the northern Cincinnati suburbs and I've never had any issues.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:41 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsman View Post
G have you been out late at night? i hear on the news it's bad
Yeah exactly what Cincy-Rise said... local news, anywhere, is a joke. They report what people will tune in to watch - which is violence, sex, etc. People get shot but there is usually a reason for that. Does some crack head getting capped for a dime of rocks make a city dangerous? To me it doesnt. Some neighborhoods are a little sketchier than others but tell me a place where this isnt true. Generally speaking Cincy is one of the most friendliest and safest cities. Thats why its known as a city to raise a family in.

G Man

Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
what cities are dangerous, gman?
Once again, it is what you make it. Nothing is inheriently dangerous if you dont run with the wrong crowd. If you compare Cincy to other cities of its size i bet its "crime rate" is lower then most. But again - even then - its not like people cant go out at night and enjoy there life here. Cincy is perfectly safe and friendly.

G Man

Old 11-21-2008, 01:33 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Once again, it is what you make it. Nothing is inheriently dangerous if you dont run with the wrong crowd. If you compare Cincy to other cities of its size i bet its "crime rate" is lower then most. But again - even then - its not like people cant go out at night and enjoy there life here. Cincy is perfectly safe and friendly.

G Man
why don't you make a table comparing cities of cincinnati's size and the crime/homicide rate and how they rank nationally?

Old 11-21-2008, 02:08 PM

267 posts, read 722,476 times
detroit is very bad

Old 11-21-2008, 02:21 PM

710 posts, read 3,046,440 times
hillside, you have been told this many many times before but it is worth repeating. the borders of the city proper are arbitrary at best and not reflective of the actual city making direct comparisons meaningless. The only real way to compare the data would be to look at the entire region.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
hillside, you have been told this many many times before but it is worth repeating. the borders of the city proper are arbitrary at best and not reflective of the actual city making direct comparisons meaningless. The only real way to compare the data would be to look at the entire region.
there is a city and there are its accompanying suburbs. analyzing how safe a suburb is does not validate safety in a city. if you open that can, then you have to look into the isolated poverty rates, rates of concentration, the "floater" class that isn't always poor but can't sustain lower middle, and the placement of major employers in junction/comparison with the location of service industries, social services and highways. you have to look into dollars per development, and the demographic or entity targeted to serve capital. what school district does the community have? this is not dependent on city boundaries. poverty breeds on isolation, and the staggering socio-racial segregation in the cincinnati area disqualifies the idea that the suburban isn't that different from the urban.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM

710 posts, read 3,046,440 times
I understand that the safety of a suburb does not increase the safety of a city, but there are many cities that appear artificially safe due to the inclusion of their suburbs. It would actually probably be better to strip those cities of their outlying suburbs for the comparison rather than add the suburbs to the non-metro cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati