Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 06:42 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Most dangerous cities, 2007-

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 — Infoplease.com

16.Cincinnati, Ohio

Most dangerous cities, 2006-

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2006 — Infoplease.com

18.Cincinnati, Ohio
Dont throw stats at me. They dont mean much of anything to me...living here everyday means something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 AM

1,009 posts, read 875,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Dont throw stats at me. They dont mean much of anything to me...living here everyday means something.

In other words, numbers and facts don't mean anything, only your personal experiences matter...

That'd be like somebody who comes back from a war, saying, "because I didn't get killed or wounded, the war wasn't dangerous!" ignoring the fact that 10% of their comrades were killed and 30% were wounded... Since it didn't happen to them, it isn't relevant and it doesn't mean anything.

The truth is that Cincinnati is a VERY dangerous city. You can scream it is not until you are blue in the face, but the numbers don't lie, they're not biased one way or another, all they do is convey facts. You're free to accept the facts or shrug the facts off, but it doesn't change the reality that those numbers are still FACTS.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
In other words, numbers and facts don't mean anything, only your personal experiences matter...

That'd be like somebody who comes back from a war, saying, "because I didn't get killed or wounded, the war wasn't dangerous!" ignoring the fact that 10% of their comrades were killed and 30% were wounded... Since it didn't happen to them, it isn't relevant and it doesn't mean anything.

The truth is that Cincinnati is a VERY dangerous city. You can scream it is not until you are blue in the face, but the numbers don't lie, they're not biased one way or another, all they do is convey facts. You're free to accept the facts or shrug the facts off, but it doesn't change the reality that those numbers are still FACTS.
Numbers can be twisted to use however you want, personal experiences cannot. I am a resident and I volunteer for my community everyday and your complete disregard for facts from someone who does live here and works for the good of the community is insulting.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Numbers can be twisted to use however you want, personal experiences cannot. I am a resident and I volunteer for my community everyday and your complete disregard for facts from someone who does live here and works for the good of the community is insulting.

Personal experiences? I could go find a dozen people who have lost a loved one to violence, or who have been raped, or who have had their cars stolen, in Cincinnati in the last year.

Do their experiences trump your experiences? Do yours trump theirs? Personal experiences don't really mean much, facts, figures, numbers, and data are what count in determining whether a city is safe or unsafe.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Personal experiences? I could go find a dozen people who have lost a loved one to violence, or who have been raped, or who have had their cars stolen, in Cincinnati in the last year.

Do their experiences trump your experiences? Do yours trump theirs? Personal experiences don't really mean much, facts, figures, numbers, and data are what count in determining whether a city is safe or unsafe.
I'm done, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 AM

710 posts, read 3,046,440 times
Quote:
Considering that in 2001, black protestors/rioters, upset at the police began attacking random white people, pulling approximately 500 white people from their cars and savagely beating them, it would seem appropriate that whites would view Cincinnati as a place to either avoid or exercise caution if entering.

That didn't happen

Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
That didn't happen

The FBI says that it did-

http://www.adversity.net/Cincinnati_...aries.htm]News: Cincinnati Race Riots

"But a law enforcement source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that the suspects were part of black gangs that rampaged during three days of disturbances in mid-April. ... some yanked white motorists from their cars and beat them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW9DMb0iVec

Last edited by OhioUberAlles; 01-22-2009 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 AM

some < 500

Old 01-22-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
some < 500
Police made approximately 100 arrests for rioters assaulting and attacking citizens. It is not hard to imagine that A- they didn't manage to arrest every suspect who was engaged in assaulting citizens and B- the ones they did arrest had assaulted multiple citizens.

It is fairly easy to arrive at the figure of 500 citizens attacked.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Police made approximately 100 arrests for rioters assaulting and attacking citizens. It is not hard to imagine that A- they didn't manage to arrest every suspect who was engaged in assaulting citizens and B- the ones they did arrest had assaulted multiple citizens.

It is fairly easy to arrive at the figure of 500 citizens attacked.
1. at least you are acknowledging that you just made that figure up
2. assaulting someone isn't the same as "pulling... people from their cars and savagely beating them"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati