U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 13,853 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband is interviewing for a job in Dayton. A little about us: We have a daughter entering kindergarten in August. We're wanting a walkable area, close to parks, lots of activities (we like going to festivals, events, etc), young families, mature trees, etc. I work from home, so commute isn't an issue for me. Sense of community is high on the list...like a neighborhood that's easy to meet neighbors, kids playing outside, etc. Originally we were looking in Cincy for the job search and really liked Hyde Park...but job search has taken us sorta far out to Dayton. My husband is in a pretty niche industry (landscape architect)...so not a ton of options to pick from in the area.

So any recommendations of good places to live 1/2 way b/w Cincy and Dayton? No more than a 30 min commute? We would be moving from Louisville KY. I've heard Mason has great schools...but curious if it's mainly big box stores and chains, or does it have a downtown to it, walkable? What's the community vibe like? ....also any cute towns close to Dayton w/easy drive to Cincy for weekends?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-21-2015, 09:18 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,462,107 times
I'm not sure Mason fits your bill. It's not what I think of when I think of "walkable area and close to parks," but the schools are very good, and there's a ton of families with young kids.

That said, they just started building a new neighborhood in the old Crooked Tree golf course that should have a walking path and they hopefully keep some of the mature trees. I'd look at Centerville, Bellbrook and Springboro if I worked in Dayton.

New Homes in Mason, OH | Crooked Tree Preserve

Old 12-21-2015, 10:11 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,372,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp8888 View Post
My husband is interviewing for a job in Dayton. ... So any recommendations of good places to live 1/2 way b/w Cincy and Dayton?
What's the purpose of living half-way and giving the hubby more of a commute?
Quote:
....also any cute towns close to Dayton w/easy drive to Cincy for weekends?
Dayton is a close and easy drive to Cincinnati all the time if the weather is nice. However, commuting is a different animal than a leisurely unscheduled drive during off-hours.

To me, every minute commuting is a minute that you aren't living your life. ( Note that commuting by walking, biking or bus doesn't count ... )

Maybe I don't have all the information, but it seems to me that living close to work means that hubby can be home more and will be more relaxed when there.

From Dayton, if you are into such things, trips to Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, Louiville, et al are all easy to make.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:19 PM

The idea of living 1/2 way is that I see Mason is only 30 min commute to/from office for my husband...I was thinking there is more to do in Cincy than Dayton. We use to live in Downtown Chicago, and now live about 20 min away to downtown Louisville. I'm just not aware of things going on in Dayton. I'm afraid it would be an adjustment if Dayton doesn't have as much action going on?

Also, I assume the economy is better in Cincy than Dayton w/more Fortune 500 companies. I'm just thinking ahead down the road, if I ever need to switch companies there would be more job opportunities closer to the suburbs in Cincy...Also, for traveling if we ever want to fly...do people have to go to Cincy/NKY airport if they live in Dayton for decent flight prices?

If Dayton has a lot to offer and these areas are similar to what we're looking for, than I'm excited to look into them and cut the commute I just had thought areas closer to Cincy sounded more desirable....? I've never been to Dayton or have heard good or bad, hope to visit during the holiday break.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:52 PM

236 posts, read 214,919 times
Quote:
The idea of living 1/2 way is that I see Mason is only 30 min commute to/from office for my husband...I was thinking there is more to do in Cincy than Dayton. We use to live in Downtown Chicago, and now live about 20 min away to downtown Louisville. I'm just not aware of things going on in Dayton. I'm afraid it would be an adjustment if Dayton doesn't have as much action going on?

Also, I assume the economy is better in Cincy than Dayton w/more Fortune 500 companies. I'm just thinking ahead down the road, if I ever need to switch companies there would be more job opportunities closer to the suburbs in Cincy...Also, for traveling if we ever want to fly...do people have to go to Cincy/NKY airport if they live in Dayton for decent flight prices?

If Dayton has a lot to offer and these areas are similar to what we're looking for, than I'm excited to look into them and cut the commute I just had thought areas closer to Cincy sounded more desirable....? I've never been to Dayton or have heard good or bad, hope to visit during the holiday break.

My opinion of Dayton isn't very high, but I will point out that real estate is super cheap and there seem to be a whole lot of activities for family's with young children. There isn't a whole lot else going on in town (not to say there is nothing, but nothing even remotely close to larger metros). It's now primarily a military town with a large lower class population due to the complete abandonment of industry in the area.

You're not going to find anything really walkable between Dayton and Cincinnati. If you can stand the suburbs though, Mason and the surrounding areas have a lot going for them. Blue Ash is a little closer to Cincy and is nice as well.

I'd recommend trying to rent some place around Dayton for a year and if it's too slow consider trying the big commute from Cincinnati to Dayton. It's a tough commute though.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
The idea of living 1/2 way is that I see Mason is only 30 min commute to/from office for my husband....
I see. I suppose that some parts of Dayton would only be a 30 minute commute if everything is perfect.

You might want to provide a major intersection a few minutes away from your husband's office.

Again, loading up in the car on a Saturday and going to Cincinnati - even from N of Dayton is pretty easy.

I guess if you are planning on going to Cincinnati during the day while your husband is working, then living halfway would work, but I gathered that you were going to be working from home.

Also, going from N of Dayton to CVG for a better flight would not be a problem as long as you are not passing through during commute hours.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
You're not going to find anything really walkable between Dayton and Cincinnati. If you can stand the suburbs though, Mason and the surrounding areas have a lot going for them. Blue Ash is a little closer to Cincy and is nice as well.
Oakwood is walkable - VERY walkable, but that probably doesn't meet the definition of "between."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
I'd recommend trying to rent some place around Dayton for a year and if it's too slow consider trying the big commute from Cincinnati to Dayton. It's a tough commute though.
This is always the best advice for someone unsure of where to move.

Renting a place in Mason would also answer the question.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:07 PM

what about Oakwood? That seems pretty desireable area? I'd like to be around young families and professionals...budget is b/w $280-350k. We live in the suburbs now...and my husband isn't a fan...but I see the pro's w/sense of community for our daughter and nice yard.
I don't want to offend anyone- but trying to avoid really country/southern/redneck areas (we have pockets of that in the area we live in now). Is that pretty common in Dayton? You can be honest...I live in KY We're more midwest- is Dayton more midwest or southern? So let me know which area to avoid that....

Old 12-21-2015, 03:20 PM

6,106 posts, read 3,266,484 times
Quote:
Also, for traveling if we ever want to fly...do people have to go to Cincy/NKY airport if they live in Dayton for decent flight prices?4
No. Dayton has the better flight prices. Often have people in Cincy drive up to Dayton for better flights. Rarely, if ever hear of people in Dayton flying out of CVG. I often gave a ride to coworkers in Cincy or from other offices a ride to/from the Dayton airport.

I commuted from north Dayton(Huber Heights) to north Cincy for several years. I had a flexible schedule and could work from home a few days a week which made it bearable. Sometimes that 55 mile drive could be done in under an hour and sometimes when there were bad wrecks it was over 2hrs. I was also debating the middle of the road house purchase too in order to make switching between both easier as career prospects opened up. I would also recommend against that half measure. Better to eliminate as much of the commute as practical. If a better position opens up in Cincy it's not that bad of a commute to tolerate until you can move again. But I ended up moving to WA state instead and love it out here.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:30 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,781,531 times
Hey I'll answer over here haha. Then I'll do a better answer on Oakwood over on the other thread.

Dayton & Cincinnati both are culturally similar to Louisville. Both are where midwest meets south, if anything just because of the numerous factories that drew blue collar people to both cities. But for the most part "south" is WV-style Appalachian, and really it's very solidly midwestern, I'd argue even moreso than Indianapolis or St. Louis.

Cincinnati is a great deal more provincial than Dayton, and Dayton IMO is a bit more logical in orientation. This is probably because of the topography, Dayton flows together while Cincinnati is chopped into a dozen or more different pieces. To give you an idea, Dayton feels more like Cleveland while Cincinnati feels more like Pittsburgh. Historically speaking, the engineers and scientists live in Dayton while the creatives and marketers live in Cincinnati, but that's not to say both cities have a number of people that fit these professions.

I not only vehemently disagree but am really disappointed by Kevin's commentary on Dayton. It's ill-informed. I can assure you that 1) There's still a lot of industry here and 2) there's a lot to do for all age ranges in the city. From the awesome metroparks to the 300+ miles of off-street bike trails, several new craft breweries, great kayaking and canoeing opportunities, nice small towns, and oversized arts scene, I can guarantee you that Dayton isn't some sleepy, economically disadvantaged town. Plus, we're 45 minutes closer to Columbus, which has IMO the state's best zoo, COSI, better shopping due to the strong retail culture, and OSU sports too.

Cincy is great and it is a bigger town with more to do than Dayton, sure. But from Dayton there's more available within a 1-2 hr drive than from Cincy. All a matter of taste I guess.

If you're looking in the Cincinnati area, Wyoming might be worth a look given what you would like. I can't recommend West Chester for much of anyone doing a long-term move, and Mason is great but probably not your style. But Wyoming might be a good fit, along with Lebanon immediately south of its downtown.

Good luck!

Last edited by SWOH; 12-21-2015 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or