U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 11:33 AM

95 posts, read 59,857 times

Advertisements

the woman and went to yellow springs the other day. had the handsome and a couple of good and cheap tacos. nice space. for some reason i have a fondness for the industrial park breweries. anyways, i'm surprised i haven't been to more in the area. went to the taft ale house a few weeks ago and was blown away. holy crap! so here's a run down of the ones i've been to. and as you'll see, either it's very easy to make palatable beer or i'm incredibly not picky. or both

cincinnati

rivertown- nice space. crappy beer, however i haven't tried their new stuff
moerlein- see above
rhinegeist- cincinnati's flagship
listermann- the beer is ok, but it's my favorite even if it is by xavier. been a fan since before their taproom
urban artifact- terrible name, ok beer. but it's my hood. awesome spot though
taft ale house
50 west- not terribly familiar with their beer, but i love the spot. food is pricey

middle/southern ohio

yellow springs
portsmouth- good beer, but the second time i went, they changed their great staff to ditzy hooter's girls
moeller brew barn (maria stein)- odd location for a brewery, but not these days i suppose. surprised with the quality. the spot is great too. terribly fitting
jackie o's (athens)- they're f*cking incredible. been their many times
elevator (cbus)- way too upscale in appearance for me. cloth napkins? the beer is good though
barley's (cbus)- i barely remember this

kentucky

8 ball- i doubt i will ever have an opinion
west sixth (lexington)- love their beer. good environment in a suspect hood
cumberland (louisville)- cheap good beer and on bardstown

indiana

crescent city (aurora)- i want to like their beer soo much. the building is awesome, i love the town. their stout has the potential for greatness, but the taste evaporates seconds into your mouth
bloomington- here's good beer. but was this in a strip mall?
upland (bloomington)- like a mini rogue. their produce comes from a garden out back. all around excellent
new albanian (new albany) i cannot say enough great things about this place
half moon (kokomo)- i don't remember this beer at all
brugge brasserie (indy)- great spot in the summer. beer is fantastic and the frites, the frites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 06:13 AM

573 posts, read 441,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruschev View Post
the woman and went to yellow springs the other day. had the handsome and a couple of good and cheap tacos. nice space. for some reason i have a fondness for the industrial park breweries. anyways, i'm surprised i haven't been to more in the area. went to the taft ale house a few weeks ago and was blown away. holy crap! so here's a run down of the ones i've been to. and as you'll see, either it's very easy to make palatable beer or i'm incredibly not picky. or both

cincinnati

moerlein- see above
listermann- the beer is ok, but it's my favorite even if it is by xavier. been a fan since before their taproom
taft ale house
50 west- not terribly familiar with their beer, but i love the spot. food is pricey

middle/southern ohio

yellow springs
portsmouth- good beer, but the second time i went, they changed their great staff to ditzy hooter's girls
moeller brew barn (maria stein)- odd location for a brewery, but not these days i suppose. surprised with the quality. the spot is great too. terribly fitting
elevator (cbus)- way too upscale in appearance for me. cloth napkins? the beer is good though

kentucky

indiana

crescent city (aurora)- i want to like their beer soo much. the building is awesome, i love the town. their stout has the potential for greatness, but the taste evaporates seconds into your mouth
upland (bloomington)- like a mini rogue. their produce comes from a garden out back. all around excellent
brugge brasserie (indy)- great spot in the summer. beer is fantastic and the frites, the frites!

This is my kind of thread.

Rivertown has very good new beers IMO. They're location is just terrible. If you don't like sours you're not going to their new stuff. I love the Death and Roebling too. Listerman's beer is just always funky. People swear by the Chickow. I've only been Urban Artifact once, lots of sours. I enjoyed myself. Rhinegeist is obviously the king of Cincinnati, most of their bottle series brews are really good. The Ink just came back out, I need to pick some up. Surprised you didn't mention Mad Tree. They have a great tap room with tons of beer. I love their Thundersnow. I had my rehearsal dinner at 50 West, so I obviously love that place. You also need to go Blank Slate. The tap room is small and crowded but they brew some fantastic stuff.

Kentucky...8 Ball is okay, but it's just feels more like an after thought at Party Source. Braxton in Covington has a great big space and will mostly likely be the king of NKY. West 6 is the king of Lexington. I love their Coco Porter and enjoyed their brewery. The 2 other big ones in Lexington are Country Boy and Blue Stallion. Country Boy is okay beer but I did not like their brewery. Felt like a dingy bar. Blue Stallion is far and away my favorite brewery in Lexington.

The only other brewery I've been to you mentioned is Yellow Springs. I had a flight and enjoyed it. I've heard epic things about Jackie Os. I've enjoyed the beers I've had. I want to make a long weekend and go hiking/camping out in Hocking Hills and visit Jackie Os too.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:07 AM

236 posts, read 215,312 times
I've been impressed with MadTree's IPA's even if I'm not much of a hop head. The tasting room is pretty cool as well.

I also agree that Rivertown has some tasty brews. The Roebling is pretty damn good and their Helles is awesome in the summer.

I do love Morelein's OTR, but other than that their stuff is subpar.

Also props on listing the New Albanian. The place has been around forever and was ahead of it's time, so some of the beer feels a bit plain by today's standards but the food is amazing.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 PM

95 posts, read 59,857 times
i don't like chicow, but it wins all kinds of awards. goes down like molasses. and it's hazelnut. i've yet to be to mad tree and need to hit up braxton. haven't had any of the new rivertown offerings and i'm beginning to venture into sours. i suppose i should reserve judgement on rivertown until so. i've last had rivertown fare back in aught thirteen and that was merely for the curiosity. i do not like the otr, but i respect greg hardman a ton. we owe that guy a lot of gratitude

i've been going to the new albanian since aught nine i suppose. my father lives in louisville and works at the post office right next door to the brewery. terribly convenient. stop by there a few times a year

Old 12-28-2015, 07:00 PM

6,299 posts, read 13,194,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruschev View Post

cincinnati

moerlein- see above
taft ale house

middle/southern ohio

yellow springs

kentucky

indiana

You missed TONS of breweries in Louisville.

This site lists 17:

LouisvilleBeer.com - Where beer geeks get their news.
This list doesnt include MUST visit beer bars like Sergio's who has the most beers from EVERY continent I have ever seen, and Louisville Beer Store.

There is more. Louisville has a real and rapidly evolving scene for this, like much of the country.

Louisville has multiple city tours, but there is one specifically for beer!

Lou's Brew Bus - Book Now

Old 12-29-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You missed TONS of breweries in Louisville.

This site lists 17:

LouisvilleBeer.com - Where beer geeks get their news.
This list doesnt include MUST visit beer bars like Sergio's who has the most beers from EVERY continent I have ever seen, and Louisville Beer Store.

There is more. Louisville has a real and rapidly evolving scene for this, like much of the country.

Louisville has multiple city tours, but there is one specifically for beer!

Lou's Brew Bus - Book Now
He also missed tons in Cincinnati. Since there are around 30 breweries in Greater Cincinnati, I think he was just talking about places he'd been.

That being said, I need to go to some Louisville breweries. I have some friends from college who live there and they always say really good thing about Against the Grain.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 PM

6,299 posts, read 13,194,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
He also missed tons in Cincinnati. Since there are around 30 breweries in Greater Cincinnati, I think he was just talking about places he'd been.

That being said, I need to go to some Louisville breweries. I have some friends from college who live there and they always say really good thing about Against the Grain.
I think Cincinnati has more than 30 when you count NKY.

I also think Louisville has more than 17...I think probably in the mid 20s. I will look into it though. 5 breweries have literally opened in the last few months. Cincy and Louisville are in great times!

PM me if you visit Louisville and we can take that Lou's Brews bus tour. Sounds fun.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:06 AM

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/best...-beer-drinkers

Cincy is number 10!

Edit....Thanks for the offer Peter, I'll let you know whenever I plan to make it down there.

Last edited by cincydave8; 12-30-2015 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or