Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 06:18 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times

Advertisements

I have been meaning to post this, but MAN, I just wanted to say how impressed I am with 3CDC and what they have done with Cincy. Just tons going on. Is Liberty St the next barrier to cross in OTR? There are still some very rough corners in the city, but the progress is astounding and very pleasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 05:19 PM

17,320 posts, read 13,057,451 times
The question now becomes where do the current gang bangers (er, occupants) go? Price Hill and Westwood are already full of gang bangers?????????????

Old 01-02-2016, 09:12 AM

8,294 posts, read 3,863,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The question now becomes where do the current gang bangers (er, occupants) go? Price Hill and Westwood are already full of gang bangers?????????????
They've already moved to your suburban neighborhood, Mike. Expanding the sales of H to the hinterlands has become a very profitable enterprise.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:37 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,949,918 times
One can certainly see the effects of OTR's gentrification on the Colerain Avenue corridor, most notably the big Section 8 complexes in Mt. Airy, but also creeping ever northward now into Groesbeck, White Oak and Northgate. So there's one answer for you.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,992,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I have been meaning to post this, but MAN, I just wanted to say how impressed I am with 3CDC and what they have done with Cincy. Just tons going on.
Yes, the transformation of "Over-the-Rhine" from a dreaded city slum into a vibrant downtown showplace has become one of the most hyped urban-renewal business news stories in America. In fact, the reboot of OTR within Cincinnati's core has been so scrutinized nationally that I hesitate to add more about it, except to mention that 3CDC has given the expression gentrification a decidedly positive spin and provided strong evidence that the malign ghost of Buddy Gray has been finally vanquished to the grave.
Quote:
Is Liberty St the next barrier to cross in OTR? There are still some very rough corners in the city, but the progress is astounding and very pleasing.
Yes, just as in WWII the Allies had to breach the Rhine to enter Germany's heart of darkness and conquer all, so must 3CDC now cross Liberty Street to advance into OTR's forbidding northern streets and complete their mission. Sadly to say, even though Spanish-designed streetcars will also enter this landscape in 2016, overall gentrification will probably remain a decade away.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:16 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,480,666 times
I love Cincy... and I go every year with buds for a baseball weekend. It has gotten better every year since we started this... in 1999. People in another thread were talking about the next "It" city... and I think it could very well be Cincy.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:31 PM

549 posts, read 843,121 times
The most interesting part of Over-the-Rhine's story is how different it is from a typical gentrification story. 3CDC has actually built more low income housing that existed in Over-the Rhine pre-2001. The big change came in 2001 when the federal HUD policies on Section 8 changed to give the vouchers to tenants instead of landlords. This essentially allowed low income residents to choose where they wanted to live, rather than being forced into explicitly Section 8 approved residences.

Because this federal policy came just six short months after he riots, the Section 8 residents picked up their homes and left for the townships. This left the neighborhood nearly abandoned. 3CDC was formed to secure and stabilize vacant buildings which were being abused by criminals from outside neighborhood. Their approach from day one has been to create a mixed income neighborhood. It's a difficult balance, but they've been incredibly successful in bolstering an economy while keeping the remaining low-income residents in the neighborhood.

Regarding the area north of Liberty, I can assure you that it is not unsafe in any way. I live in McMicken and walk downtown daily. I have never once fealt threatened. The majority of the area north of Liberty is simply abandoned, and many of the properties started getting rehabbed as soon as construction on the streetcar continued. Unfortunately the area north of Liberty is being driven more by private developers than 3CDC, so we'll be seeing less low income housing added to this area, but it's all moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: