U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 10,221 times

Advertisements

The quality of retailers along Beechmont Avenue has really gotten seedy with Title Loan, Cash for Gold, and other discount stores seemingly every few hundred feet. Has anyone else seen this? When I lived in Anderson Twp. nearly a decade ago it used to seem up and coming with lots of professional types and nice housing. Is this starting to change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 07:44 AM

5,318 posts, read 6,619,303 times
Anderson has been slowly going downhill since the early 1990s. Beechmont Mall (when it was a real mall) was a hopping place back in the 1980s. Anderson is much more blue collar now vs. the 1990s and earlier. You never saw vacant storefronts along Beechmont 30 years ago.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:59 AM

628 posts, read 445,835 times
Anderson has changed dramatically as the bulk of it's housing stock has aged out of desireability and will not make fiscal sense to renovate until there is much more dramatic demand. Anderson has mismanaged its growth for decades and is now paying the price. That being said, it is still the cheapest place with predictably decent schools in greater Cincinnati and that will float it until the scores drop. If their schools stats drop it will start to blight out at the core.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:45 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,353,566 times
It may surprise you all, but not everyone wants to live in a brand new McMansion.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:18 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,942,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It may surprise you all, but not everyone wants to live in a brand new McMansion.
That's right! Just look at Springdale...Finneytown...Greenhills...then again...

Old 01-01-2016, 04:47 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,353,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
That's right! Just look at Springdale...Finneytown...Greenhills...then again...
Or Madeira, Kenwood, Montgomery, Blue Ash ... nevermind Pleasant Ridge, Hyde Park, Oakley. Yeah, those houses are too old, and the neighborhoods suck.

Wait, don't look at Montgomery. Too many ranch-to-McMansion teardowns.

What's wrong with Finneytown?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:29 PM

628 posts, read 445,835 times
Anderson's housing stock has far more in common with Montgomery than any of the others in the last post, so what is keeping up the value of Montgomery's 1965 4/2.5 filter tip colonials? location location location and Anderson doesn't got it. Montgomery has a "there" there while Anderson attempts to fabricate a center for it's community after the fact. This "center" is much much much better than it was when it was a Krogers behind a mall but it is still just a place where three strip malls cross. Additionally Anderson is just much bigger and has allowed Beechmont Avenue to become a dense retail abomination that is much more like New Jersey than the rest of what you see in Ohio.

City Data could tell us but I imagine that for every 1965 faux-lonial in Montgomery there are 3 or 4 in Anderson and that is too many needing rehab to keep the value of the subdivisions high.

I also recently befriended someone who surprised me when she let me know that no one in her expensive Ivy Hills development (those four words in a row make me laugh) would send their kids to Forest Hills.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 AM

4,082 posts, read 1,471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
location location location and Anderson doesn't got it. Montgomery has a "there" there while Anderson attempts to fabricate a center for it's community after the fact.
You pretty much hit on it here. The location is extremely inconvenient. Can't get to it easily from any direction.

In my opinion though, Anderson has the most beautiful topography of any suburban area in Cincinnati. Some absolutely spectacular home sites. If I never had to go anywhere I'd like to live there.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:02 PM

194 posts, read 178,866 times
We looked at houses in Anderson about 10 years ago and I was starting to wonder about the area's future even back then. Anderson is bordered by another increasingly shaky neighborhood (Mt. Washington) on one side and then you have the Picadilly area on the other. I've heard some wild stories from reliable sources about Picadilly. Stands to reason this could have an effect on Anderson.

Last time I drove Beechmont from 275 into the city, I thought it was looking more and more like Colerain Avenue, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:35 PM

16 posts, read 14,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarFan55 View Post
The quality of retailers along Beechmont Avenue has really gotten seedy with Title Loan, Cash for Gold, and other discount stores seemingly every few hundred feet. Has anyone else seen this? When I lived in Anderson Twp. nearly a decade ago it used to seem up and coming with lots of professional types and nice housing. Is this starting to change?
StreetcarFan55:
Retail is pathetic too.
Susie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or