U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,394 times

Advertisements

Great forum with tons of info! Recently took a permanent role in Dayton and have decided the 2.5-3 hrs of commuting from the Eastgate area per day is too much. Interested in staying between Cincinnati and Dayton to keep options open as well as the wife covering Clermont county for her job. We asked in the Dayton forum and curious for done other ideas from the Cincinnati folks.

-Where you are working? Downtown Dayton
-How much you are willing to spend on housing? 200k-225k
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - 35 min
-If you have kids (4 yrs old and 6 mo old): Private school or public school? Public, but definitely want good ones
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: looking for a fun community with younger families, park/activities within walking distance, trails/fishing a plus, love the water/outdoors stuff, would love a true neighborhood feel. Need to have some sense of privacy in our back yard. Love having camp fires and just playing outside.
-Community amenities important to you? Would be nice but not deal breaker - pool, playground, sports related.
-closeness to some good restaraunts/stores and/or some nightlife (geared for the 25+ crowd - days of teeny bopper bear scenes are over for us lol) would be nice. Would love a country feel where the neighbors all waive and have block parties, but close to amenities/civilization.

Am ideal option would be to have a lake/water we could boat on, but I'm feeling like that's a tall order given the other criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 02:03 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
I don't blame you; I'd rather marinate myself in the Mill Creek for two hours a day over driving back and forth to Dayton.

Look into Waynesville or Lebanon. Lebanon especially is a quick jaunt to Clermont County; Waynesville is closer to Dayton and there are plenty of backroads from Waynesville that will get you into the city. Waynesville is also just a stone's throw from Caesar Creek Lake and the state park, the Little Miami bike trail, etc.

The only thing missing from both towns is nightlife -- oh, yeah, and Waynesville was dry until recently -- but I lived in Lebanon for nine years while I was in my 20s, and managed.

If you want to stay closer to Clermont County, you could look at Loveland.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:03 AM

3,750 posts, read 10,203,909 times
Lebanon's got the "wine cellar" (or something like that) as well as the black horse tavern for "bars" (well, respectable, won't get shivved, bars)..

They're usually quite busy. Not surprising I guess, as that's about it after 7pm.

However, Lebanon is a relatively short drive to the shopping/restaurant meccas of Field's Ertl and Kenwood, as well as the new Liberty Center.

Lebanon does seem to have good schools overall, I don't know anything about Waynesville.

Really, the main negative that I see as a "general" negative (not just something specific to my desires) is that it's small town - and it seems like it would take a bit to "break in" to social circles. However, I assume if you have kids, that barrier is much less. (We don't have kids). Please note - I don't think that's unique to Lebanon around here, but part of a wider trend of the Cinci metro area in general.

Housing stock covers most price ranges - from starter to custom. You can get larger parcels (some in town in specific neighborhoods, most in the township immediately adjoining, but still with lebanon schools), or you can have a very small parcel right in town along the parade route.

Easy enough commute to Dayton. Not bad to Clermont (back roads, or I-71 to 275 East/South).

Old 01-07-2016, 05:57 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,462,107 times
Springboro

Old 01-07-2016, 08:16 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,781,531 times
My best suggestion if you are set on going closer to Cincy and doing the I-75 drive every day is Shaker Run specifically in Lebanon.

Fischer Homes is building new houses there in your price range:
Lebanon, OH New Single Family Homes - Shaker Run - Fischer Homes Builder

It has the community amenities you desire, along with a large lake for boating. Armco Park, a throwback to the industrial days, is accessible via walking path. The commute also isn't horrible, and the location might become more desirable within the next 5-10 years if the Greentree interchange is built. To top it off, you'd be in a golf course community.

Again, it won't meet your max commute, but nothing in the Cincy area will. This would be a good compromise spot.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2016, 10:24 AM

400 posts, read 397,352 times
OP, I'm curious if you've looked at some of the southern Dayton suburbs like Centerville? It's got more of a small town feel but has great public schools. You might want to cross post in the Dayton forum to get additional information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or