U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 06:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,955,279 times

Advertisements

I'm a big fan of Wyoming because I think it's a beautiful, safe community with outstanding public services and one of the best school systems in the state. The notion that it would be within a 20-25 minute commute to UC is ridiculous, IMO, at least during anyone's normal working hours. As are many of the other suburban places on the thread like Madiera and Ft. Thomas. If a quick commute is important to you, you're going to have to stick with places like Clifton, Hyde Park, and Oakley.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:49 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,356,855 times
At 6:00 A.M. my house in Amberley is 15-20 minutes from UC. At 6:00 P.M. on a weekday it is a 35-45 minute commute from UC to my house. I would imagine both Wyoming and Madeira would be very similar numbers.

My sister lives in Clifton with her husband and baby a few blocks from Fairview elementary on Woolper. She loves the neighborhood, and she has made friends with several other young couples in the area. There is a very granola vibe in the neighborhood, and plenty of racial diversity. The houses in the area are mostly older, with lots of character. However, they are very expensive to heat and maintain. Lots of high plaster ceilings, wood trim, sloping hardwood floors, and "scary" unfinished basements. Compared to other areas, garages are also a little less common, and attached 2-3 car garages are a rarity. For someone that loves quirks and character, I highly recommend the area. Another great area in Clifton is along Terrace and Howell behind the old IGA. That is where the UC professors who want to stay local tend to live. The housing stock is similar, and I have seen very nice houses as low as $250-300K, although the average is probably a bit higher. (if my wife ever got a long term job in Clifton we would consider moving there.) However, the demographics are a lot older with retirees outnumbering young couples by a large margin. It is much further insulated from the crime in the Vine Street corridor than where my sister lives. Clifton feels urban. With the exception of the large estates, parking can be an issue certain times of day, and the streets get a fair amount of traffic during all daylight hours.

One complaint I have about the Clifton area is that many of the houses are owned by investors, divided up, and rented out. I guess that comes with the territory, being so close to the University, but it does inflate the property values and add a lot of variability to the neighborhood composition. Ultimately I think this is a good thing overall when it comes to integrating socioeconomic classes, but it can be frustrating when it happens too close to home. When I was at UC my PhD adviser lived on a beautiful house in the aforementioned professor-heavy area behind IGA. The stately house next door was divided up into four units, and over the years some of the tenants were somewhat unsavory. One year our annual summer picnic was interrupted by a heated domestic disturbance and police interaction next door. Another time, some college aged renters had a big party on and damaged one of his classic Porsches that had just won a prize in a car show. He still loves his street, although he said that it was quite difficult when he had small kids. His kids are older than me, and long moved out.

I would not live in Clifton just because it is close if you are not comfortable with the urban character. If you want an island of suburbia in the middle of the city, Clifton is most definitely not it. If you want a more suburban neighborhood you will probably have to settle for at least a 25 minute commute during business hours. Cincinnati does have some nice inner ring suburbs (by this I mean inside of 275) that can be nearly as convenient as being in the city.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:45 AM

31 posts, read 19,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I'm a big fan of Wyoming because I think it's a beautiful, safe community with outstanding public services and one of the best school systems in the state. The notion that it would be within a 20-25 minute commute to UC is ridiculous, IMO, at least during anyone's normal working hours. As are many of the other suburban places on the thread like Madiera and Ft. Thomas. If a quick commute is important to you, you're going to have to stick with places like Clifton, Hyde Park, and Oakley.
Ok, so it looks like it will take 25 minutes to get to UC. I plan to stay off I-75 during rush hour and only take side streets. I thought the side street route would be more predictable and less increased time during rush hour. I'm not sure if you can see what I mapped but here is a link of three options taking either Winton Rd, Este Ave, or Vine St to Reading (my least favorite option).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wyom...m1!1b1!3e0!5i1

Old 01-22-2016, 12:01 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,955,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioscholar View Post
Ok, so it looks like it will take 25 minutes to get to UC. I plan to stay off I-75 during rush hour and only take side streets. I thought the side street route would be more predictable and less increased time during rush hour. I'm not sure if you can see what I mapped but here is a link of three options taking either Winton Rd, Este Ave, or Vine St to Reading (my least favorite option).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wyom...m1!1b1!3e0!5i1

I probably should have clarified that I suspect you can actually get from parts of Wyoming to, say, the nearest edge of the UC campus in 25 minutes, assuming you don't run into any kind of tie-up. I'd also say you're well into a half hour to 40 minutes by the time you navigate the heavy traffic in the immediate vicinity of campus and actually put your car into a parking space.

I commend you for thinking about commute times. We had what I thought was a sad case of a newcomer here recently who had apparently made up his mind about a neighborhood where he wanted to buy WITHOUT EVER HAVING BEEN TO THE AREA and had zero interest in hearing about other similar neighborhoods very close to his work. I think he ended up buying himself about an hour commute each way. A shame when you think about what that 1.5 hours or so five days a week would probably mean to his kids.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:12 PM

24 posts, read 17,790 times
I highly recommend the Este Ave. route. Minimal stoplights, minimal traffic, don't remember exactly what the speed limit is, but you can go 40-45

Depending on what time you have to be at UC, even the commute on I-75 is not too bad. I can leave home 8:30 am or later and almost always have it take just under 20 minutes to get to my campus parking garage (15 minutes on early Saturday mornings). Granted, that will depend on exactly where you live in Wyoming, where on campus you are going, and potential construction/accident delays. Tip - drive south and get on I-75 at the Paddock Rd. ramps to avoid a lot of on-ramp congestion in the "Lockland split"

But anytime I try to drive in afternoon (or earlier morning) rush, even taking one of the alternate routes, can take 30+ minutes.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
At 6:00 A.M. my house in Amberley is 15-20 minutes from UC. At 6:00 P.M. on a weekday it is a 35-45 minute commute from UC to my house. I would imagine both Wyoming and Madeira would be very similar numbers.

My sister lives in Clifton with her husband and baby a few blocks from Fairview elementary on Woolper. She loves the neighborhood, and she has made friends with several other young couples in the area. There is a very granola vibe in the neighborhood, and plenty of racial diversity. The houses in the area are mostly older, with lots of character. However, they are very expensive to heat and maintain. Lots of high plaster ceilings, wood trim, sloping hardwood floors, and "scary" unfinished basements. Compared to other areas, garages are also a little less common, and attached 2-3 car garages are a rarity. For someone that loves quirks and character, I highly recommend the area. Another great area in Clifton is along Terrace and Howell behind the old IGA. That is where the UC professors who want to stay local tend to live. The housing stock is similar, and I have seen very nice houses as low as $250-300K, although the average is probably a bit higher. (if my wife ever got a long term job in Clifton we would consider moving there.) However, the demographics are a lot older with retirees outnumbering young couples by a large margin. It is much further insulated from the crime in the Vine Street corridor than where my sister lives. Clifton feels urban. With the exception of the large estates, parking can be an issue certain times of day, and the streets get a fair amount of traffic during all daylight hours.

One complaint I have about the Clifton area is that many of the houses are owned by investors, divided up, and rented out. I guess that comes with the territory, being so close to the University, but it does inflate the property values and add a lot of variability to the neighborhood composition. Ultimately I think this is a good thing overall when it comes to integrating socioeconomic classes, but it can be frustrating when it happens too close to home. When I was at UC my PhD adviser lived on a beautiful house in the aforementioned professor-heavy area behind IGA. The stately house next door was divided up into four units, and over the years some of the tenants were somewhat unsavory. One year our annual summer picnic was interrupted by a heated domestic disturbance and police interaction next door. Another time, some college aged renters had a big party on and damaged one of his classic Porsches that had just won a prize in a car show. He still loves his street, although he said that it was quite difficult when he had small kids. His kids are older than me, and long moved out.

I would not live in Clifton just because it is close if you are not comfortable with the urban character. If you want an island of suburbia in the middle of the city, Clifton is most definitely not it. If you want a more suburban neighborhood you will probably have to settle for at least a 25 minute commute during business hours. Cincinnati does have some nice inner ring suburbs (by this I mean inside of 275) that can be nearly as convenient as being in the city.
This is great information, thank you. With my limited experience in Clifton, I kinda felt like the streets might be like you stated. That's not really what I want. I love the character of the homes in Clifton, I just don't like all the apartments, rentals next to nice homes. I'm not sure I want to buy in an area like that. I'd love to have a more Wyoming experience closer to my work. The challenge is finding housing in my price range closer in. Will Hyde Park/Mount Lookout/ Oakley be a closer drive in to work even during rush hour? I heard those areas would take about 30 minutes during rush hour too. I also heard Amberley would be further away than Wyoming because Amberley you'd almost have to take either I-75 or I-71 to get to work on time and those frequently back up. Hence my thinking Wyoming would not be a bad drive as I could take Winton Rd or Este Ave route and avoid the highway.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2home View Post
I highly recommend the Este Ave. route. Minimal stoplights, minimal traffic, don't remember exactly what the speed limit is, but you can go 40-45

Depending on what time you have to be at UC, even the commute on I-75 is not too bad. I can leave home 8:30 am or later and almost always have it take just under 20 minutes to get to my campus parking garage (15 minutes on early Saturday mornings). Granted, that will depend on exactly where you live in Wyoming, where on campus you are going, and potential construction/accident delays. Tip - drive south and get on I-75 at the Paddock Rd. ramps to avoid a lot of on-ramp congestion in the "Lockland split"

But anytime I try to drive in afternoon (or earlier morning) rush, even taking one of the alternate routes, can take 30+ minutes.
So you live in Wyoming? Did you think any of the homes I linked to in an early post stood out as better than the others?

Old 01-23-2016, 03:54 PM

Yes, I live in Wyoming (guess I didn't come right out and say that. oops)

Like I said in an earlier post, none of those houses raise a red flag; it all depends on your preferences.

So far you've said you want "walkable" to parks, you have young children (so I'm assuming a walk to a primary school would be good), and a good commute time to UC. So here are a few comments.
  • 368 Oliver - most of the way up the "hill"; very walkable to Hilltop School and its adjacent park; also walkable to high school, longer-ish walk tot-lot behind high school; some might walk to middle school, library from here (bit far and up the hill on the way home).
  • 749 Stout - across the street from high school; walkable to village center and middle school and library; area of town where kids tend get sent to whatever of three primary schools has openings in their grade when they first enroll...long walk to any of them
  • 101 W. Hill - No sidewalks but very low-traffic (and narrow, private? road), very walkable to Golf Course (private); could walk to Elm school, but have to cross busy Springfield Pike. Could walk to library, middle school, some might walk to shopping in Hartwell (bit far); one of shorter commutes to UC
  • 520 Laramie Trail - Can walk to Hilltop; further commute to UC; could walk to the Wyoming Swim Club (private, outdoor pool)
  • 301 Pleasant Hill - Not walkable. No sidewalks this far up the hill on Mt. Pleasant (or nearby Compton).
  • 134 Burns - Very walkable; easy walk to Elm Primary (many cut through backyards across the street to get there), Grove Park, Crescent Park, Village Center, middle school, probably the shortest commute to UC.
  • 1215 Morts Pass - Can walk to Hilltop; longer commute to UC; could walk to the Wyoming Swim Club

I really recommend you visit to get a feel for the areas of the community. True for the other areas you are thinking about too.

Also, when dealing with old houses, as most of these are, you really don't know what problems may be lurking without going through them and getting a really thorough, independent home inspection.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:43 PM

This is great info. Couple quick Wyoming questions. How do they decide which elementary school your child goes to? Does it depend on which street you live on, do you get to pick?? Is one better than the other? Is one of the swimming pools more desireable than the others? I think there's a pool at the country club and rec center too? Which is best for under 40s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2home View Post
Yes, I live in Wyoming (guess I didn't come right out and say that. oops)

Like I said in an earlier post, none of those houses raise a red flag; it all depends on your preferences.

So far you've said you want "walkable" to parks, you have young children (so I'm assuming a walk to a primary school would be good), and a good commute time to UC. So here are a few comments.
  • 368 Oliver - most of the way up the "hill"; very walkable to Hilltop School and its adjacent park; also walkable to high school, longer-ish walk tot-lot behind high school; some might walk to middle school, library from here (bit far and up the hill on the way home).
  • 749 Stout - across the street from high school; walkable to village center and middle school and library; area of town where kids tend get sent to whatever of three primary schools has openings in their grade when they first enroll...long walk to any of them
  • 101 W. Hill - No sidewalks but very low-traffic (and narrow, private? road), very walkable to Golf Course (private); could walk to Elm school, but have to cross busy Springfield Pike. Could walk to library, middle school, some might walk to shopping in Hartwell (bit far); one of shorter commutes to UC
  • 520 Laramie Trail - Can walk to Hilltop; further commute to UC; could walk to the Wyoming Swim Club (private, outdoor pool)
  • 301 Pleasant Hill - Not walkable. No sidewalks this far up the hill on Mt. Pleasant (or nearby Compton).
  • 134 Burns - Very walkable; easy walk to Elm Primary (many cut through backyards across the street to get there), Grove Park, Crescent Park, Village Center, middle school, probably the shortest commute to UC.
  • 1215 Morts Pass - Can walk to Hilltop; longer commute to UC; could walk to the Wyoming Swim Club

I really recommend you visit to get a feel for the areas of the community. True for the other areas you are thinking about too.

Also, when dealing with old houses, as most of these are, you really don't know what problems may be lurking without going through them and getting a really thorough, independent home inspection.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:53 AM

Primarily school attendance is determined mostly by geography. They all share the same administration (principal, vp, guidance counselor) and art/music teachers. They are all good schools.

We aren't big on swimming but here is what I've picked up. The golf course pool is pretty small. The Swim Club has a smaller summer swim team, is very much a social gathering spot for young families. The City Rec Center has a larger summer swim team, is a larger, newer facility, including toddler splash area (just outdoor pools though) adjacent to the Recreation Center (both of which are outside Wyoming boundaries, in Woodlawn, at the site of a former YMCA), there is a hike/bike path from the north end of Wyoming to get there; also schedules a good number of family activities / serves as summer social spot for young families. Other swim options include the Powel Crosley, Jr., YMCA on Winton Rd. which has large indoor pool (and outdoor), and year-round beginner swim lessons through highly-competitive year-round swim team. The Meyerson JCC at Ridge Rd. in Amberley also has a nice indoor pool and an outdoor pool, and year-round swim lessons. You can find websites for all of these facilities online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or