U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:38 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,354,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioscholar View Post
Will Hyde Park/Mount Lookout/ Oakley be a closer drive in to work even during rush hour? I heard those areas would take about 30 minutes during rush hour too.
It depends on where you are in Hyde Park. The area around Madison Rd. and Dana is very convenient for Clifton, but the Hyde Park country club area is an extra 10-15 minutes away during rush hour. Oakley is similar. In both cases, the mess near Wasson/Edwards/Madison can be a big bottleneck certain times of day. I lived near Erie and Marburg in Oakley and on Burch near the square in grad school at UC. Burch was about 10 minutes during rush hour and the Oakley place was 20 or so. This was 2003 or so and I think traffic has gotten worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 AM

627 posts, read 445,499 times
I can reliably get to UC in roughly 20minutes from Mariemont, longer to get home in traffic due to lane drop on Wooster in Fairfax. Wooster Pike is not like 75/71 trafficwise. I imagine the new MLK exit will make Madeira and Kenwood an easier commute to UC than before. When I lived by the mall in Kenwood I could be at UC in nonrush hour in 10 minutes very reliably.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:03 AM

31 posts, read 19,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
I can reliably get to UC in roughly 20minutes from Mariemont, longer to get home in traffic due to lane drop on Wooster in Fairfax. Wooster Pike is not like 75/71 trafficwise. I imagine the new MLK exit will make Madeira and Kenwood an easier commute to UC than before. When I lived by the mall in Kenwood I could be at UC in nonrush hour in 10 minutes very reliably.
Someone from my work just moved to Mariemont and told me it takes them over 30 minutes to get to work in rush hour. It said way less on google maps but is taking them way longer. I'll mainly only be commuting during rush hour times so I'm thinking Wyoming is about the furthest suburb away from work that I want to be. Going to be back in town next weekend and hopefully will check out some houses.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 AM

400 posts, read 397,783 times
Quote:
Someone from my work just moved to Mariemont and told me it takes them over 30 minutes to get to work in rush hour. It said way less on google maps but is taking them way longer. I'll mainly only be commuting during rush hour times so I'm thinking Wyoming is about the furthest suburb away from work that I want to be. Going to be back in town next weekend and hopefully will check out some houses.
Driving from Mariemont to Clifton and the reverse is absolutely going to be 30 minutes during rush hour. If your goal is to be out of Cincinnati Public Schools (just guessing) you will be looking at Mariemont, Maderia or Wyoming would be your closest Ohio neighborhoods. All three will be about 30 minutes in traffic.

My suggestion to you if time is that important would be to look in Clifton or East Walnut Hills. Both have the eclectic type of housing stock you've posted at your price point. If the public schools aren't for you there are many, many private school selections very close. In fact if you will be teaching at UC look into their preschool,
Arlitt Center. The Arlitt Center for Education, Research & Sustainability, University of Cincinnati

Old 02-02-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
Driving from Mariemont to Clifton and the reverse is absolutely going to be 30 minutes during rush hour. If your goal is to be out of Cincinnati Public Schools (just guessing) you will be looking at Mariemont, Maderia or Wyoming would be your closest Ohio neighborhoods. All three will be about 30 minutes in traffic.

My suggestion to you if time is that important would be to look in Clifton or East Walnut Hills. Both have the eclectic type of housing stock you've posted at your price point. If the public schools aren't for you there are many, many private school selections very close. In fact if you will be teaching at UC look into their preschool,
Arlitt Center. The Arlitt Center for Education, Research & Sustainability, University of Cincinnati
Here's what I've heard about the three areas that you've mentioned and I've heard all 3 are walkable and have great schools that are all about the same quality. Is that true or is one significantly better than the others.

Madiera: Smallest lots, nice downtown, borders Indian Hills & close to Kenwood mall area
Mariemont: On desirable east side of town (lots to do nearby in Oakley/Hyde Park), smallish lots (sometimes bigger than Madiera), usually cottage sized homes.
Wyoming: Largest lots/yards out of these three suburbs, older homes, nice island in the middle of things that are not as nice as Madiera and Mariemont. More diverse than the other two suburbs.

Decisions, decisions. Now you are all making my decision harder. I have yet to see any 2000+ sq ft home on the market in Mariemont but I'm sure there will be some come spring. I've seen some in Terrace Park but that definitely seems too far.

I'll take a look at Clifton and East Walnut Hills but not loving those areas right now. My trips to Wyoming, I just feel like I'm in a nice neighborhood where most of it is nice across many many blocks. I only feel like that on particular streets in Clifton and EWH and then I turn the corner or get to the end of the street and it takes a nose dive.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:35 PM

573 posts, read 440,456 times
Quote:
Here's what I've heard about the three areas that you've mentioned and I've heard all 3 are walkable and have great schools that are all about the same quality. Is that true or is one significantly better than the others.

Madiera: Smallest lots, nice downtown, borders Indian Hills & close to Kenwood mall area
Mariemont: On desirable east side of town (lots to do nearby in Oakley/Hyde Park), smallish lots (sometimes bigger than Madiera), usually cottage sized homes.
Wyoming: Largest lots/yards out of these three suburbs, older homes, nice island in the middle of things that are not as nice as Madiera and Mariemont. More diverse than the other two suburbs.

Decisions, decisions. Now you are all making my decision harder. I have yet to see any 2000+ sq ft home on the market in Mariemont but I'm sure there will be some come spring. I've seen some in Terrace Park but that definitely seems too far.

I'll take a look at Clifton and East Walnut Hills but not loving those areas right now. My trips to Wyoming, I just feel like I'm in a nice neighborhood where most of it is nice across many many blocks. I only feel like that on particular streets in Clifton and EWH and then I turn the corner or get to the end of the street and it takes a nose dive.
My knowledge is limited on Maderia and Wyoming but all of this seems to be exactly right. That last paragraph is especially true. City neighborhoods are interesting to me because after years of red lining (among other factors) you have very nice streets that can change instantly.

I mentioned Fort Thomas before. Have you looked there? I feel like that would be a good hit for you.

At the end of the day, you'll probably be happy with any of the places you listed though.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:22 PM

Default Mariemont vs Wyoming

Ok. I finally was able to take a look at Mariemont. It seems like a 2-5 minutes further commute depending on time of day but that doesn't seem to be that bad if the area is considered nicer. There are not many nice sized homes on the market there in my price range yet but looking at prior sales, there seems to be homes that will fit my criteria - not many - seems more expensive than Wyoming. I do have questions about the two areas. What are the pros and cons? Is the school system better in one area than the other? Does one offer better resale than the other? Are there good day cares/preschools (under 3 years old) in either area? I couldn't find one in Mariemont. Seemed like the closest one was Goddard School off Red Bank in Oakley area.

There are some homes in Mariemont north of the Pike on the border with Madison Place/Madisonville, they seem less expensive than south of the Pike. Is bordering Madison Place/Madisonville safe or would the streets that border them be considered dangerous? I haven't seen too many houses in Wyoming on the border except maybe Burns Ave but the homes in Mariemont on the border are literally across the street from Madison Place/Madisonville - should that scare me away from buying on those streets or is it safe enough not to worry?

Old 02-04-2016, 01:10 PM

110 posts, read 165,270 times
When I google Madeira to Campus it says 15 min. My wife commutes down 71 to downtown and it takes her 15-20 min everyday. 71 is a lot more reliable than 75 in my experience. I would suggest driving it, just to see it for yourself. Anyway, all that said, all I can say from experience is that Madeira is exactly what you described in your initial post. It's a place where kids are walking home after school, where parents walk to pick up their kids. You can walk to restaurants, grocery stores, parks, a great farmer's market. It's a true sense of community here. They have so many great events in the town! I just can't speak more highly of a place to raise a family. I have a bias to Madeira because I live here, but I'm from out of state and have only been here for 7 months, so it's not like it's all I've ever experienced.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:17 PM

Ok, I spent some time in both Wyoming and Mariemont and noticed some interesting things about both. Maybe I'm off base but this is what I observed.

Sundays - why is every restaurant in Wyoming and most in Glendale closed on Sunday? Wouldn't a breakfast place like Half Day Cafe or Bluebird bakery do well on a Sunday? That baffles me. Seems like you have to drive into town on Sundays to grab breakfast/lunch/dinner if you live in Wyoming. Mariemont places seem open on Sundays.

Coffee - Mariemont has a ton of coffee places. Wyoming has none except the Wyoming Bakery and it is closed on Sundays. Has a Dunkin Donuts or another coffee shop ever opened shot in or around Wyoming? Seems to me, that would be a big opportunity. Mariemont has Starbucks, and a Dunkin Donuts & Coffee on Wooster right outside in Fairfax.

Snob factor - Mariemont seems to trump Wyoming in this regard. Maybe I'm off but that's what I observed. Not saying that's a good thing.

Schools - I researched a lot on schools and Wyoming schools seem to be better than Mariemont schools. Mariemont schools are pretty good, too, but Wyoming seems to be always in the top 3 (in the greater Cincy area and state) and usually leading the pack year after year.

Taxes - both seem high. Wyoming seems to charge less (lower millage rate) on property tax but charges upto 2% on income tax. Mariemont has a higher property tax and does not charge you twice if you pay taxes in another jurisdiction like city of Cincinnati. Wyoming charges you income tax either way.

OK - feel free to chime in and correct me.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:13 AM

24 posts, read 17,784 times
I don't know much about Mariemont, so I'll just chime in about Wyoming coffee places.

The closest that would be open on Sunday are a Dunkin Donuts on Winton Rd. (8611 Winton Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45231) and the Starbucks inside the Brentwood Kroger (8421 Winton Rd.). There's also a Waffle House at the corner of Springfield Pike and Glendale Milford Rd., Frisch's in Hartwell, Bob Evans' in Finneytown on Winton Rd. (though they don't sound quite like the kind of breakfast you are looking for)

There is also La Terza https://www.laterzacoffee.com/directions.php Which has a roasting facility in an industrial park in Lockland (across from the brewing/tasting/pub facility of Rivertown Brewing). They very recently opened a coffee bar there; I visited once and the coffee was absolutely amazing, one of the best lattes I've ever had, but there was no "coffee shop" ambiance yet, maybe they'll improve that over time. I don't know what their weekend hours are, website doesn't seem to say anything about it yet. They sell at a number of area farmer's markets.

If you visit again, don't overlook the business district of Hartwell; many business look dated on the outside but are great community resources. There is a relocated Mexican restaurant called LaCasita at 7 Woodsdale Ave (was Margarita's in Reading) it is small, family-run, they are still in process of renovating the building, but the food is the best! (though I think they are closed on Sundays too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or