Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 10:56 PM

28 posts, read 43,516 times

Advertisements

My average loan size in West Chester is $250,000 and Forest Park/Tri-County is less than $100,000 if they even credit qualify and have enough equity, which most don't. Even in Milford where I live, we didn't pass a school levey and there was not bus service but the average person here has a far higher housing value and more income than the average person in Forest Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,124,525 times
If your company has loans that people in that income bracket would want, so be it. I can't advise you there. And if you are only renting, West Chester would be fine, but keep in mind those houses will be losing value and it is a declining community. Since you are local, you can see that I am sure.

Anyways, I have stuff I have to do tomorrow, so best of luck. Just don't think West Chester is going to stay the way it is, every factor in the book is going against it and unless they get a good scare, change won't happen (and even then it will likely be too late).

Old 01-31-2016, 05:55 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,823,199 times
I think the problem is online shopping. You can easily find something on Amazon or Ebay that you are looking for much cheaper with sometimes free shipping as well. That whole corridor will never be a Kenwood.

Also there is nothing wrong with buying a house and making $15+ an hour. At least they are working and not on the corner selling drugs.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:35 PM

17,328 posts, read 13,062,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Also, @Harvestman - Bass Pro is still in Forest Fair.
Not for long. They are moving to Union Center area. And, my guess is, Kohls is soon to follow

Old 01-31-2016, 08:55 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,463,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem148 View Post
They're supposed to move to a stand alone location in Liberty Township.
West Chester Township (Across 75 from IKEA and the new Holiday Inn Centre Park Event and Banquet Center).

Old 02-01-2016, 10:40 AM

113 posts, read 274,561 times
I think West Chester has a lot going on for it with commercial property, but the housing there seems on the down swing. Even the new housing seems questionable compared to Mason. Maybe the housing closest to the Mason border is still pretty good, but it just seems like it has aged poorly. I wouldn't love buying a home in West Chester. I'd much rather be in Mason. I think that northern expansion will continue, for the people who don't want/need to live near Cincinnati. But I think the reason you're seeing places like Tri County struggle is because people from the city and first ring suburbs are getting pushed out. That is becoming a highly desirable area to live. As property values continue to grow in those areas, lower income families are forced to move further out.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 PM

329 posts, read 696,235 times
I'd have to agree for the most part with most of Cincinnati's lower income earners moving north, and inevitably a small portion of these people will be bringing crime and poverty with them.

I think West Chester will remain relatively stable in terms of value for parts that border Mason and Liberty Township, but as for parts south of Tylersville, I could definitely see some of the older housing stock going in the same direction as Forest Park or Pleasant Run Farm within the next 5-10 years as Cincinnati will most likely continue it's amazing overhaul of gentrification (unless we get another recession, then 5-10 years could become less for this area) and push the lower income crowd further away from the urban center. While this definitely isn't the worst scenario, it's worth some serious consideration for people interested in moving up to West Chester new to the area or investing in rental properties.

People in OTR have seen their housing values increase as high as fivefold ever since the renaissance of gentrification has really shifted into gear.

People in West Chester & Fairfield haven't exactly seen anything close to this. While housing values in West Chester remain either relatively stable in certain areas or increase slowly in others, values in Fairfield have either decreased steadily or remained stable in newer neighborhoods.

The only way I see Westchester becoming a relevant and appealing place to live is for them to really shape up their so called "Downtown" area along Union Centre, it's a joke. More jobs, more infrastructure improvements, and more residential options aside from mcmansions and cookie cutter eyesores would be a good start. While mcmansions and cookie cutter homes continue to be built in smaller increments over the years as the township runs of of room, Westchester hasn't really done much in other areas to impress.

The school levees continue to fail which is NEVER a good sign, infrastructure is very outdated or constantly crowded, and people on the fringes of the township that border Hamilton, Fairfield, and Hamilton County are seeing declining values.

I think Union, KY has much of the same energy as West Chester had when it was first being majorly developed in the 90s/2000s. If you ever go on the Cincinnati Business Courier website, you almost never go a week without hearing of major job position additions in the Kentucky area.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I personally will ride the storm (I live in Mason) and if West Chester really does start taking a turn for the worse, I'll probably be moving closer to Cincinnati.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:51 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,525,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
^Mason is fine, they have strong community support, great services, and make good investments in their schools.

None of this is true in West Chester. It's declining, it's a fact, plain and simple. We can argue it all night, but if you can't see the truth then I don't have much else to say.
Not to mention that recent transplants to Mason have lit such a fire under its ass that it will burn bright and true for the unforesable future.

When I can stop watching Roger Federer play tennis live, ride roller coasters, ride water slides, and stay at Great Wolf Lodge all within the same day without having to leave Mason, then I might lift a worrisome finger.

This is why I laugh when the best excuse my friends from Cleveland can come up with is "but Cincy doesn't have an NBA team" as they deal with 70 inches of snow on average and can't understand that if there was enough interest, Cincy would have an NBA team like they once did.

Last edited by maxmodder; 02-02-2016 at 10:14 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 09:11 AM

389 posts, read 327,179 times
West Chester is not going to become undesirable anytime in the near future, that's for sure. I don't get over there that often but the homes I see going up are definitely upscale and expensive. Even Liberty Center wanted to build in West Chester but was rejected. So they built right on the line.

Once you go North of the Lakota school district, the ratings fall way off until you get to the Dayton suburbs. Most working professionals with a family and kids prefer the suburban lifestyle and good schools. That means competition for the housing stock.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:13 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,493,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
West Chester is not going to become undesirable anytime in the near future, that's for sure. I don't get over there that often but the homes I see going up are definitely upscale and expensive. Even Liberty Center wanted to build in West Chester but was rejected. So they built right on the line.

Once you go North of the Lakota school district, the ratings fall way off until you get to the Dayton suburbs. Most working professionals with a family and kids prefer the suburban lifestyle and good schools. That means competition for the housing stock.
I agree that overall WestChester is unlikely to become Forest Park tomorrow. But, that's also because West Chester township is a relatively large township, and is very heterogenous in housing stock. The areas in Pisgah (or near) are much older, relatively smaller, houses that likely did not cost $400K when they were built. It is not surprising they are not worth that now.

The areas north of Union Center, where fairly large, semi-custom homes have been built (wetherington, etc..) were more expensive to build, and seem to be holding values fairly well (new build in the few buildable subs in the area have gone back up in price again from what I've seen on posted signs).

Sure, if the school system totally tanks, it is possible that the whole township will collapse, but as it is it seems to be much more an area of "fancy Westchester" and "Starter Home Westchester" which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati