Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:22 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
An interesting contrast with "unknown" Cincy is better known Indianapolis. Indy is topographically boring, has a high violent crime rate, has fewer good restaurants and museums, etc yet it host Super Bowls and NCAA championships and is the hub of IndyCar racing. IMO Cincy bests Indy of most fronts but Indy is in a low tax / business friendly state and the city is better at thinking ahead. Rather than build an outdoor NFL only stadium that did an indoor stadium that could host a Feb Super Bowl and NCAAs. They didn't allow their airport to be taken over by one airline.

The big things that hurt Cincy are being in high tax Ohio and across from low tax but corrupt Kentucky and having an expensive mid sized airport that is losing flights. Cincy needs a new large indoor arena to maybe get the NBA but at least get more concerts and NCAA tourney games.
Indy promoted and developed itself as a ''sports'' town. Cinci would need a guarantee on an NBA franchise before landing a new arena. Look at Kansas City; new arena, no expansion or relocation of any team to use it. Concerts and possible NCAA tournament games will land a new arena; a city needs at least one sports franchise (NHL or NBA) to use it.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:38 AM

383 posts, read 512,035 times
Too much competition from surrounding metros. I can't think of anywhere else in the country, where so many 1 to 2.5 million metros are bunched together so close. Indy, Cbus, Dayton, Louisville, Pitt, Cleveland. Collectively they would be a mega city but the are just a bit too far apart and have drawn resources, companies and talent from one another.
If Ciny would have grown like Chicago, then I think the cities of Cleveland and Columbus would be nowhere near the size they are today. Ohio would look much more like Illinois.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:16 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
Revenue Management in Sport Stadiums | Revenue Management Applications In Untraditional Industries

Guarantee of landing a pro sports team is not going to assure that a stadium would or could be built. And it is not always necessary to utilize a large arena by professional sports teams. The following coliseums are among the largest in the country yet don't have a pro sports team utilizing the facility.

Syracuse has the Carrier Dome.

Tacoma has the Tacoma Done.

Memphis Pyramid.

Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

BOK Center in Tulsa.

Freedom Hall in Louisville.

XL Center in Hartford (former home of the NHL Whalers)

Verizon Arena in Little Rock.

Centurylink Arena in Omaha.

Allstate Arena in Rosemont, IL (Minor League sports currently)

Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex in Birmingham.

Nassau Coliseum in Long Island (former home of the NHL Islanders)

And the list goes on. Minor league teams along with a variety of other events being held at the arena could help to insure stable revenue on a year to year basis. But given the debt that Cincinnati has right now I doubt they can afford to spend any money on such a venue unless they find a way to increase (probably city and Hamilton County) without an appreciable impact on local taxes.

Pro and minor league sports are just one component of achieving more national recognition. Many cities are best known for their world class cultural institutions and entertainment, architecture, schools, parks etc.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Too much competition from surrounding metros. I can't think of anywhere else in the country, where so many 1 to 2.5 million metros are bunched together so close. Indy, Cbus, Dayton, Louisville, Pitt, Cleveland. Collectively they would be a mega city but the are just a bit too far apart and have drawn resources, companies and talent from one another.
If Ciny would have grown like Chicago, then I think the cities of Cleveland and Columbus would be nowhere near the size they are today. Ohio would look much more like Illinois.
Well it's a given that Cinci is boxed in pro sports wise, as is Columbus. Cleveland's metro no longer includes adjancent Akron metro but Cleveland's CSA is about 3.5 million.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:01 PM

368 posts, read 638,457 times
There was a study by the Wall Street journal about a metro areas capacity to support a specific number of major league sports franchises based on factors like population ,growth,income,avg age,fortune 500 companies etc..interestingly,cincy,Cleveland,Indy,and cbus all were rated for 2.Cleveland and Pittsburgh,buffalo,new Orleans all had more than their rating..so Cleveland is blessed even though the browns and Indians are underperforming.how bad is haslam as an owner?

Old 02-18-2016, 01:14 PM

610 posts, read 796,499 times
Yahoo had a nice write up on a visit to Cincinnati recently

https://www.yahoo.com/food/yahoo-foo...225202451.html

Old 02-18-2016, 01:51 PM

597 posts, read 666,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Only embarrassed to live in some of them. And I agree there is no point in arguing about where the Midwest starts or ends. I'm merely trying to straighten out a point that is factually incorrect in Briola's post.

To call Pittsburgh a Midwest city is absurd. It's located in PA and that is an eastern State. Utilizing that logic one might was well call Burlington, VT a part of Quebec since many signs in northern New England are in French in addition to English and also a good percentage of the population traces its roots to French Canada. The same can be said for Hartford. Lots of people trace their roots back to Quebec.

Cincinnati is a Midwest city despite the fact that many area residents trace their roots to the South. Perhaps if enough people from KY and TN move into Cincinnati it will be then be considered a southern city?

Hope this clears up my point.
Pittsburgh is Midwestern in character, but located in an "eastern" State. Granted that state is pretty long east to west. The eastern side abuts states of the East Coast and the western side abuts an undisputed Midwest state. I understand not calling Pittsburgh a Midwest city despite it's character, but it's certainly not a Northeast or East Coast city either. Though few use the term, maybe it should properly be called a "Mideast" city (lying between the Midwest and the East Coast).

Last edited by goillini8; 02-18-2016 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
There was a study by the Wall Street journal about a metro areas capacity to support a specific number of major league sports franchises based on factors like population ,growth,income,avg age,fortune 500 companies etc..interestingly,cincy,Cleveland,Indy,and cbus all were rated for 2.Cleveland and Pittsburgh,buffalo,new Orleans all had more than their rating..so Cleveland is blessed even though the browns and Indians are underperforming.how bad is haslam as an owner?
Well, with Cleveland's revised msa population, it is now comparable to Indy, Cbus and Cinci. Cleveland's CSA is closer to 3.5 million, which is why there are 3 pro league teams. Akron's msa, though adjacent to Cleveland, is not counted any longer with Cleveland. NEO has about 4.5 million to pull from for Cleveland teams.

I posted the kind of the same thing a bit upstream here.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:02 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
...Many people define the midwest culturally, and Pittsburgh, being a long ago king of big steel, culturally has a lot more to do with the midwest and the large rust belt cities, than it does with Philly or NYC. (My relatives in Pittsburgh and it's surrounding MSA are very midwestern, in thought/deed)
Agreed. By my reckoning, the Midwest begins just west of Frederick, MD, or Harrisburg, PA. It doesn't end until the eastern suburbs of Denver. In the south, it's bordered by the Texas panhandle. And the northern border is of course the US-Canadian border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Are you embarrassed to be living in a Midwestern city?
Yes. Because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruschev View Post
... blue collar, ...rust belt,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruschev View Post
... i like chicago, it's great. but i don't wanna live there.
Well, of course nobody asked me, but I consider Chicago to be the only livable city between the DC-Philly-NYC-Boston axis, and SD-LA-SF-Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Cincinnati loses some of its prominence due the fact that historic, geographic and economic influences are all (slightly) stacked against it.
This is true for all Midwestern/Heartland cities, with the exception of Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
...If Ciny would have grown like Chicago, then I think the cities of Cleveland and Columbus would be nowhere near the size they are today. Ohio would look much more like Illinois.
Agreed. And again, no one asked me, but I'd prefer a scheme where there is one truly enormous city (Tokyo, Jakarta, Shanghai, Sao Paolo,...) surrounded by hundreds of miles of abject nothingness.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:25 AM

95 posts, read 102,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant
I'd prefer a scheme where there is one truly enormous city (Tokyo, Jakarta, Shanghai, Sao Paolo,...) surrounded by hundreds of miles of abject nothingness.
i dunno. i love small towns. what are your reasons for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati