U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2016, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
4,011 posts, read 3,299,894 times
Reputation: 3800

Advertisements

I'm not exactly sure, but it seems like cities with a cluster of corporate headquarters, hub airport, and universities get the most recognition. Unfortunately Delta airline significant reduction in flights did not help. Cincy does have a beautiful skyline.

 
Old 02-07-2016, 12:44 PM
 
95 posts, read 60,381 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I'm not exactly sure, but it seems like cities with a cluster of corporate headquarters, hub airport, and universities get the most recognition. Unfortunately Delta airline significant reduction in flights did not help. Cincy does have a beautiful skyline.
pro sports trumps all that. nobody could tell you where kroger or p&g are located, but they know where the bengals call home. that's what the average citizen knows about. cincinnati isn't a destination place but that doesn't mean it cannot be an attractive regional getaway.
 
Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,602 posts, read 20,539,991 times
Reputation: 9090
An interesting contrast with "unknown" Cincy is better known Indianapolis. Indy is topographically boring, has a high violent crime rate, has fewer good restaurants and museums, etc yet it host Super Bowls and NCAA championships and is the hub of IndyCar racing. IMO Cincy bests Indy of most fronts but Indy is in a low tax / business friendly state and the city is better at thinking ahead. Rather than build an outdoor NFL only stadium that did an indoor stadium that could host a Feb Super Bowl and NCAAs. They didn't allow their airport to be taken over by one airline.


The big things that hurt Cincy are being in high tax Ohio and across from low tax but corrupt Kentucky and having an expensive mid sized airport that is losing flights. Cincy needs a new large indoor arena to maybe get the NBA but at least get more concerts and NCAA tourney games.
 
Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 AM
 
5,324 posts, read 6,649,060 times
Reputation: 2666
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
.


The big things that hurt Cincy are being in high tax Ohio and across from low tax but corrupt Kentucky and having an expensive mid sized airport that is losing flights.


Interesting how times change. In the early 1980s, Cincinnati was considered to have low taxes compared to other cities. I had one neighbor back then who had lived all over the US and he told me Cincinnati was a bargain vs. other cities.
 
Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 PM
 
5,659 posts, read 8,788,672 times
Reputation: 2368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Interesting how times change. In the early 1980s, Cincinnati was considered to have low taxes compared to other cities. I had one neighbor back then who had lived all over the US and he told me Cincinnati was a bargain vs. other cities.
Property taxes in Hamilton County are pretty high now. Learned this when I was shopping for a house in the area. Noticeably higher taxes now compared to a decade ago. KY side has more favorable property taxes though I've found insurance can be higher than the OH side.
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,963 posts, read 6,894,658 times
Reputation: 6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
An interesting contrast with "unknown" Cincy is better known Indianapolis. Indy is topographically boring, has a high violent crime rate, has fewer good restaurants and museums, etc yet it host Super Bowls and NCAA championships and is the hub of IndyCar racing. IMO Cincy bests Indy of most fronts but Indy is in a low tax / business friendly state and the city is better at thinking ahead. Rather than build an outdoor NFL only stadium that did an indoor stadium that could host a Feb Super Bowl and NCAAs. They didn't allow their airport to be taken over by one airline.


The big things that hurt Cincy are being in high tax Ohio and across from low tax but corrupt Kentucky and having an expensive mid sized airport that is losing flights. Cincy needs a new large indoor arena to maybe get the NBA but at least get more concerts and NCAA tourney games.
I can't think of a more wasteful idea than building an NBA arena.
 
Old 02-12-2016, 08:02 PM
 
1,046 posts, read 1,147,763 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
An interesting contrast with "unknown" Cincy is better known Indianapolis. Indy is topographically boring, has a high violent crime rate, has fewer good restaurants and museums, etc yet it host Super Bowls and NCAA championships and is the hub of IndyCar racing. IMO Cincy bests Indy of most fronts but Indy is in a low tax / business friendly state and the city is better at thinking ahead. Rather than build an outdoor NFL only stadium that did an indoor stadium that could host a Feb Super Bowl and NCAAs. They didn't allow their airport to be taken over by one airline.


The big things that hurt Cincy are being in high tax Ohio and across from low tax but corrupt Kentucky and having an expensive mid sized airport that is losing flights. Cincy needs a new large indoor arena to maybe get the NBA but at least get more concerts and NCAA tourney games.
There's not enough interest here for an NBA or Hockey team. If there was, Cincy would have it. People here seemed to be more focused on other things that sports. Besides, a 2 hour drive to Indy is nothing. We visited there last summer and loved the convenience of parking the car at the hotel and being able to walk everywhere. When they designed that city, they did it right. And when you have great suburbs like Carmel to back it up, it's basically a win/win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I can't think of a more wasteful idea than building an NBA arena.
Don't worry, some Cleveland resident will be in shortly to comment about why Cleveland is better because it has an NBA arena and Cincy doesn't LOL!
 
Old 02-13-2016, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (Norwood)
3,386 posts, read 3,720,370 times
Reputation: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
There's not enough interest here for an NBA or Hockey team. If there was, Cincy would have it. People here seemed to be more focused on other things that sports. Besides, a 2 hour drive to Indy is nothing... ,,,Don't worry, some Cleveland resident will be in shortly to comment about why Cleveland is better because it has an NBA arena and Cincy doesn't LOL!
Agreed. First of all, Cincinnati has long been Grand Central Station to winning college basketball, whether it be UC, XU, UK, or UD. Nothing like this in Cleveland. And, unlike college football (where no FB program in Ohio challenges OSU), college basketball in and around Cincy easily rivals hoop action in Cbus.

Second, Cincinnati has never been much of a hockey town; the city just doesn't value ice skates as much as do polar Ohio cities to the far north.

And third, yes I'm sure the usual suspects will chime in about their marvelous NBA team and hometown (Akron) King of Kings, LBJ. Personally, I've enjoyed all the intoxicating, ribald stories about LJFB (*) a lot more - but, unfortunately for us all (unlike LBJ's "$$little sojourn to Miami$$), LJFB's excursion of March, 2016 will be one way only - so we won't be hearing about him ever again - and Clevelanders will be in tears as they relinquish another one of their cherished civic champions...

(*) Little Johnny Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
When I have free time, I often google street view places that I've never been, and Cincinnati looks like one of the coolest cities that I've never visited. Lots of dive bars, great housing stock, decent downtown/skyline, plenty of restaurants...how come you never really hear about it among cities its size around here and in the national spotlight?
As for myself, I've refrained from comment, at least up until now. (maxmodder just seems to bring out the best in me!)

From the very beginning, this original post has been a problematic one because it poses a "problem" that may not even exist except in the eyes of the beholder. While I can't criticize the OP's personal observations about Cincinnati, I can challenge him to verify their validity. In short, who's to say that, for a midsized Midwestern city, Cincinnati hasn't garnered a fair share of news coverage? Maybe not in this person's experience (possibly in Memphis?), but where else? Has anyone or anything (a computer algorithm?) actually ever determined an objective answer to a question such as this? Yet all too many forum members have attempted to do so, subjectively at best.

Last edited by motorman; 02-13-2016 at 07:52 AM..
 
Old 02-13-2016, 10:32 AM
 
5,659 posts, read 8,788,672 times
Reputation: 2368
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
There's not enough interest here for an NBA or Hockey team. If there was, Cincy would have it. People here seemed to be more focused on other things that sports. Besides, a 2 hour drive to Indy is nothing. We visited there last summer and loved the convenience of parking the car at the hotel and being able to walk everywhere. When they designed that city, they did it right. And when you have great suburbs like Carmel to back it up, it's basically a win/win.



Don't worry, some Cleveland resident will be in shortly to comment about why Cleveland is better because it has an NBA arena and Cincy doesn't LOL!
It's and OK place to visit but I sincerely doubt you'd prefer living there over the Cincinnati region. Cincinnati is a more well rounded city with more assets that enhance day to day living than Indy. While Indy is the amateur sports Capital of the USA, it has little else going for it.
 
Old 02-13-2016, 10:36 AM
 
5,659 posts, read 8,788,672 times
Reputation: 2368
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Agreed. First of all, Cincinnati has long been Grand Central Station to winning college basketball, whether it be UC, XU, UK, or UD. Nothing like this in Cleveland. And, unlike college football (where no FB program in Ohio challenges OSU), college basketball in and around Cincy easily rivals hoop action in Cbus.

Second, Cincinnati has never been much of a hockey town; the city just doesn't value ice skates as much as do polar Ohio cities to the far north.

And third, yes I'm sure the usual suspects will chime in about their marvelous NBA team and hometown (Akron) King of Kings, LBJ. Personally, I've enjoyed all the intoxicating, ribald stories about LJFB (*) a lot more - but, unfortunately for us all (unlike LBJ's "$$little sojourn to Miami$$), LJFB's excursion of March, 2016 will be one way only - so we won't be hearing about him ever again - and Clevelanders will be in tears as they relinquish another one of their cherished civic champions...

(*) Little Johnny Football

As for myself, I've refrained from comment, at least up until now. (maxmodder just seems to bring out the best in me!)

From the very beginning, this original post has been a problematic one because it poses a "problem" that may not even exist except in the eyes of the beholder. While I can't criticize the OP's personal observations about Cincinnati, I can challenge him to verify their validity. In short, who's to say that, for a midsized Midwestern city, Cincinnati hasn't garnered a fair share of news coverage? Maybe not in this person's experience (possibly in Memphis?), but where else? Has anyone or anything (a computer algorithm?) actually ever determined an objective answer to a question such as this? Yet all too many forum members have attempted to do so, subjectively at best.
Motorman. Cincy has had plenty of national publicity in the past but not all of it good. Marge Schott, the riots in 2001 are two that come immediately to mind. OTOH I've also seen a couple of good things reported in years past on the national stage such as the great restaurants being played up by the main stream media (back when Cincy still had more Five Star Restaurants per Capita than any city other than San Francisco and I think NYC) and some of the museums.

No news is good news. If Cincy is not making national headlines that seems to be a good thing. No drama and life goes on at a slow but steady pace. That's how I look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top