U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:03 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,237,296 times

Advertisements

I'm certain that the constant tension between the "metro" (approx 85% of the population) and the city (approx 15% of population) is really helping with your national recognition.

When people outside of Cincinnati say "Cincinnati" they are referring to everything from flying into CVG (not in Cincinnati) to going to Kings Island (not in Cincinnati).

Their opinion is generally informed by the WHOLE.

I suppose we could have checkpoints, when entering and leaving the city, to reinforce to people just how small the actual area of the CITY is, compared to the whole metro, so that folks won't mistaken attribute their pleasant experience in Blue Ash at their 4th of July celebration to something in the City. But personally, that feels silly to me.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:18 AM

400 posts, read 399,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
This isn't a surprise given that many people left Cincinnati; must have been the conservatives fleeing to the suburbs and outer ring counites leaving Obama liberals in the city I guess.

With a population of less than 300,000 in a metro of 2.1 million people, that's not saying much for the city of Cincinnati. So, the metro is conservative and little Cinci is liberal; a small fish of liberals in a big pond of conservatives.

Btw, we all know why the Creation Museum, The Ark Experience are in Cinci's metro and good old Kim Davis isn't too far away either.

I know Cinci likes to portray itself as being liberal but no one believes it given the dominance of conservatives in the area. The tri-state is Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky. C'mon.

If you'd check your geography, you will notice that Rowan County (Kim Davis) is over 100 miles from Cincinnati. Your post is the only time I have ever heard Kim Davis referred to as part of Cincinnati.

If you'd like to go that route try googling Jim Obergefell ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...eac_story.html

Old 02-23-2016, 08:08 AM

9,599 posts, read 20,512,817 times
Cincinnati can't start growing more until Ohio becomes a lower tax state. If Ohio had the same tax structure as Florida you'd see many people not leave and a few more move in. You can't change the weather or geography but a lot of Sun Belt Flight is self inflicted. How many more Ohio companies will leave before this happens?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:56 AM

3,386 posts, read 3,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I guess your post underscores my confusion with the original posters proposed question.

It is simple to get information on Cinci and its attributes/features if one is interested...
Yes. We really do need to remember the two observations you made above: first, that from the very beginning the original question was inherently a dubious one that could have been answered with more research; and, second, that from the very start, all such information (good and bad) was readily available.

Hopefully, we can trust that the OP by now has made a more extensive effort to learn about Cincinnati and discover not only just how many times the city actually has been mentioned in national media, but also the reasons why.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:38 AM

5,658 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Cincinnati can't start growing more until Ohio becomes a lower tax state. If Ohio had the same tax structure as Florida you'd see many people not leave and a few more move in. You can't change the weather or geography but a lot of Sun Belt Flight is self inflicted. How many more Ohio companies will leave before this happens?
Very true. This is precisely why I left my home state of Connecticut and also hundreds of thousands of other people have headed South for the most part. Taxes and the outrageous cost of living and doing business. For the most part with a few notable exceptions like Minnesota and possibly Iowa, the states that are seeing most positive business and population growth are down south now. I think even the west is not seeing the growth it once did except in a few major metro areas.

OH does have a high tax structure especially personal property taxes. That needs to be addressed.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:22 AM

4,237 posts, read 3,301,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
If you'd check your geography, you will notice that Rowan County (Kim Davis) is over 100 miles from Cincinnati. Your post is the only time I have ever heard Kim Davis referred to as part of Cincinnati.

If you'd like to go that route try googling Jim Obergefell ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...eac_story.html
Didn't say she was in ''Cincinnati'' but she's lurking just outside the metro....

Old 02-23-2016, 10:39 AM

4,237 posts, read 3,301,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Well city's population is finally starting to grow again. But yes, just make sure to say Cincinnati metro is conservative because just saying Cincinnati is conservative gives people the wrong impression. This a great city with a long of great things happening thanks to forward thinking leaders (the current mayor not being one of them).

I honestly don't know why the Creation Museum is Boone County. I guess the guy from Australia moved there? But why Boone County over other parts Ky? Boone County is one the most conservative counties in Ky, but not he most. I think that goes to Pulaski County. Like I said, I don't really care why its there.

You can't include Rowan County in Cincinnati's metro. That's just absurd.

So again just to make sure....Cincinnati is liberal, Cincinnati metro is not.
Didn't say Rowan County is in Cinci's metro; it does actually border it though.

I know the Cinci city is trying to re-invent itself as a progressive, liberal city, the Portland of Ohio (see the streetcar).

The Creation Museum and the Ark thingy are in Cinci because they are a cultural fit. No judgment on whether this is good or bad but a contradiction to Cinci portraying itself as being liberal.

Cincinnati is in Bluegrass Country.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:39 AM

3,386 posts, read 3,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
If you'd check your geography, you will notice that Rowan County (Kim Davis) is over 100 miles from Cincinnati. Your post is the only time I have ever heard Kim Davis referred to as part of Cincinnati...
I'm unsure whether your correctives will benefit this poster. Numerous other attempts to tell him the same thing have been unsuccessful. Neither facts nor sound reasoning deter him from repeating over and over his tiresome misconceptions about Greater Cincinnati in his desperate hope that someone, somewhere, somehow will actually believe them.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:44 AM

5,325 posts, read 6,636,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
The city is not conservative. The region has historically been yes, and the suburbs remain very conservative. But city is not. It's been awhile since this nonsense has come up but just to remind you that the city voted around 80% Obama. Just won a perfect score from Human Rights Watch for gay rights. We haven't had a Republican mayor in decades, though our current Democratic mayor isn't very popular with liberals in the city. Republican often don't even run a mayoral candidate because they know it's useless.

What's your point? Are Democratic leaders "better" than Republican leaders? The city of Detroit has had continuous Democratic leadership since the early 1960s. I don't see people running to move there.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:51 AM

400 posts, read 399,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I'm unsure whether your correctives will benefit this poster. Numerous other attempts to tell him the same thing have been unsuccessful. Neither facts nor sound reasoning deter him from repeating over and over his tiresome misconceptions about Greater Cincinnati in his desperate hope that someone, somewhere, somehow will actually believe them.
True enough. My hope is not to change Kamms mind but to provide the truth for the other poor readers of this ridiculous thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or