Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 02:22 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Ironically, all these people couldn't even nail the IKEA store that they had so hoped for - just another championship game kissed goodbye... (Cbus-1/Cleve-0)
You might want to try to educate yourself on the issue before embarrassing yourself in a post. IKEA's moving on from the Brooklyn site had everything to do with environmental issues and nothing to do with the regional population.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:57 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
^The site is a wetland, correct?

Cleveland is a crowded city, but not exactly short on space like NYC or SF. There are lots of places big enough and with good enough highway access there for IKEA to choose. It's an awful big market to just "throw away".

I heard the idea of the Randall Park Mall site kicked around on UO, call me crazy but I think that might work because of the good highway access and (bizarrely) close proximity to the rich part of town - Orange, Gates Mills, Beachwood, etc.

IMO it's kinda like if Colerain/Forest Park/Mt. Healthy/College Hill was adjoining Indian Hill without Wyoming and all of the cities in Princeton Schools and Sycamore Schools inbetween. Wouldn't be a bad market or spot, but a lot of work would need to be done to clean up the infrastructure.

And call me crazy thinking IKEA would do revitalization, but keep in mind their Columbus location is on part of the land of a former amphitheater that was about as big as Riverbend.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:10 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You might want to try to educate yourself on the issue before embarrassing yourself in a post. IKEA's moving on from the Brooklyn site had everything to do with environmental issues and nothing to do with the regional population.
Let's just know that I'm highly educated and wise enough to "read between the lines" of professionally worded press releases especially tailored to mislead an ignorant and gullible public.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:27 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Let's just know that I'm highly educated and wise enough to "read between the lines" of professionally worded press releases especially tailored to mislead an ignorant and gullible public.
Just like your call on Cinci's guarantee win for the 2016 Republican National Convention. Recall your insider knowledge and the Republican powers that were going to land Cinci the convention.

Perhaps your issues with Cleveland would have a bit more credibility if you ever visited the city and area. It's odd that you dislike a city/region you've never been to.

Grasping at a ''no IKEA'' straw is really pathetic.

Anyway, back on topic, what is it about Cinci that makes it unique among national cities to garner national attention?

Old 02-21-2016, 01:09 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
I've never been able to understand the in state rivalry between Cincy and Cleveland. Why the hate? Do the people in Cleveland show as much contempt for Cincinnati that so many people in Cincinnati seem to show for Cleveland? In New England we have rivalries between cities but they are not as nasty as the apparent rift between citizens of Cincy and Cleveland.

Is this borne out of an inferiority complex or jealousy in each city when they view the other city and try to compare certain social aspects or cultural attractions and entertainment or their respective business climate? I really don't get it.

Aside from the Boston and NYC rivalry (again not nearly as nasty as this one) I can't think of any others like this around the country.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Just like your call on Cinci's guarantee win for the 2016 Republican National Convention. Recall your insider knowledge and the Republican powers that were going to land Cinci the convention.

Perhaps your issues with Cleveland would have a bit more credibility if you ever visited the city and area. It's odd that you dislike a city/region you've never been to.

Grasping at a ''no IKEA'' straw is really pathetic.

Anyway, back on topic, what is it about Cinci that makes it unique among national cities to garner national attention?
Good move on your part to wise up and realize what happens in Cleveland should stay in Cleveland, and that this Cincinnati thread's original concerns again take precedent.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:37 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I've never been able to understand the in state rivalry between Cincy and Cleveland. Why the hate? Do the people in Cleveland show as much contempt for Cincinnati that so many people in Cincinnati seem to show for Cleveland? In New England we have rivalries between cities but they are not as nasty as the apparent rift between citizens of Cincy and Cleveland.

Is this borne out of an inferiority complex or jealousy in each city when they view the other city and try to compare certain social aspects or cultural attractions and entertainment or their respective business climate? I really don't get it.

Aside from the Boston and NYC rivalry (again not nearly as nasty as this one) I can't think of any others like this around the country.
For most Ohioans IMO it's not a big deal.

On here it gets emphasized because this is an online forum and people like to puff their feathers out and look tough. In the real world, no one cares. Look at the City-vs-City forum on here if you want more examples of this behavior.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Trust me, I didn't know there was a rivalry until I lived in Cinci. Coming from Cleveland, never heard much about Cinci, let alone a rivalry. This is one of those one-way rivalries; one city has a rivalry with another, the latter city not about this rivalry.

I only comment on this because of Cinci's m.o.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Good move on your part to wise up and realize what happens in Cleveland should stay in Cleveland, and that this Cincinnati thread's original concerns again take precedent.
Yet you are the one taking this thread to the topic of Cleveland's IKEA issue.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
For most Ohioans IMO it's not a big deal.

On here it gets emphasized because this is an online forum and people like to puff their feathers out and look tough. In the real world, no one cares. Look at the City-vs-City forum on here if you want more examples of this behavior.
For me, I wanted to know which city best fit my personal interests so I spent some time living in all 3 of the big C's. I also wanted to know if Ohio was right for me so I spent some time living outside of Ohio. I concluded that Cincy area best fits my personal interests.

Cleveland behavior on this forum is just puzzling and baffling. I've never seen such a population base try to be so defensive and apologetic in nature. We have Cleveland boosters that try and funnel their own issues onto other cities, going so far as to criticize Cincinnati and try to bash it for having a more conservative mindset but as soon as it's announced that Cleveland is going to house a republican convention, all of a sudden they are whistling a different tune to best suit their personal agendas! Ironic.

Anyone who thinks that someone in Cincinnati or Columbus is jealous of Cleveland because Cleveland has an NBA team, an orchestra, or a west side market simply just doesn't get the big picture and will forever remain on the losing side of any such an argument.

My personal favorite:

Dan Gilbert's Open Letter - Cleveland Cavaliers

Quote:
"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER 'KING' WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.
Um...no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati