U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,170 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So my family is looking to move to Ohio. I'll be going to UCincinnati or Ohio state (leaning toward U Cincinnati) My son and sis will be hanging out at home and around the area, and it looks like mom will be working in Colombus if she can't get approved to telecommute. Any suggestions on places that are family friendly and don't have too much of a drive? We're moving from northern pandhandle, where commutes are often anywhere from 15 min - 2 hours for anything, so a drive up to an hour or so is fairly normal for us and we've got our playlists perfected. Any place that can put us in a good range to both cincinnati or columbus, that is family friendly? My son is 1 and sis just turned 18 if that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 07:06 PM

400 posts, read 398,540 times
If you give us a price range we can help you narrow down your search.

Without financial parameters, I would reccomend anything directly off I-71 from Blue Ash north to Mason-Monroe. It will be about 30 minutes south to UC/ Clifton and about 90 minutes north to Columbus.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:16 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,790,077 times
As a student, I would not recommend doing two separate cities. School takes up a lot of time, and especially at residential colleges like the ones you have picked, you will be asked to do a lot of group projects, use software programs that are only on campus, etc. at odd hours of the day. Because of that, I would strongly recommend staying in Columbus if your wife cannot leave there.

It's a nice city, and the commute is not worth it between the two cities. Cincinnati and Columbus are not close to each other.

Best of luck with the decision.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,170 times
Financial parameters are preferentially no more than 1800 - 2000/mo, but we could swing up to 2500/mo if we had to to stay in a family friendly area. We like smaller towns, since that's what we're used to, but mostly we just want to be in an area with a relatively low crime rate.

I'll check out that area! We were looking at Mason area, I'll look at stuff along I-71 and check it out!

Old 02-15-2016, 07:18 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,222,320 times
If I was commuting to both Cinci and Columbus - I would agree you'd want to stay along I-71.

Unfortunately, once you get above lebanon there's not a lot of communities along I-71 until you get to Columbus.

Maybe Xenia. Maybe Wilmington. Otherwise, civilization starts on the Columbus outskirts, and is empty until you get South to Lebanon... then civilization all the way to Cinci.

(Yes, I realize the rural areas along I-71 are "civilized" but not much in the way of "small towns" for the OP to live in).

When you're visiting - I'd focus on the I-71 corridor and see what fits the bill. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati