U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 01:03 AM

1 posts, read 855 times

Advertisements

Hoping some locals can help me out with this one. My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a property in North College Hill, Larry Ave to be exact. We currently live in Australia. I lived in AZ when I was a teenager for a few years, but other than that have no real experience living in the US. I have been to Cincinnati once when I was in my early twenties.

Our intention is to rent the house out for 12-18 months and then renovate it, mostly ourselves, some with contractors.

Our main concerns is that the area needs to be safe. We don't have kids yet, but will in the next few years. I've tried to do a search and can see that College Hill is a little sketchy, but can't find anything on NCH.

Ideally, we'd like a safe, family friendly neighbourhood. Some restaurants on offer, relatively quick commute to downtown (currently in Sydney, where traffic is worse than Los Angeles for daily commute), decent schools, etc, etc.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 08:12 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,284,944 times
I have a sister and brother in law that lives in College Hill and they like it. They have had not one problem concerning safety in the all the years residing there. It is probably about a 15 to 20 minute relatively easy commute to downtown if you take Hamilton - Ludlow to Central Parkway.

Last edited by Coseau; 03-15-2016 at 08:35 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 07:43 AM

628 posts, read 447,017 times
Who is your local contact who will be renting this out for you and then handling the renovation? The rents in Cincinnati are so low I can't imagine you would make enough to cover the property manager's fee.

By buying into a neighborhood and then renting out you are becoming a destabilizing force in that neighborhood, no matter that you are eventually renovating and moving in. So expect that whatever positive trajectory your neighborhood has now will be decelerated by your acquisition while any negative trajectory will be accelerated.

A good way to assess the current state of NCH would be to use Citydata to see rate of home ownership.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:38 AM

172 posts, read 183,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Who is your local contact who will be renting this out for you and then handling the renovation? The rents in Cincinnati are so low I can't imagine you would make enough to cover the property manager's fee.

By buying into a neighborhood and then renting out you are becoming a destabilizing force in that neighborhood, no matter that you are eventually renovating and moving in. So expect that whatever positive trajectory your neighborhood has now will be decelerated by your acquisition while any negative trajectory will be accelerated.

A good way to assess the current state of NCH would be to use Citydata to see rate of home ownership.

Salamander ...... in general I agree with you but something to consider:

If the house is already a rental property (I do not know current status) and aarbro is going to buy it, rehab it (while renting it out to someone at the same time?) and eventually move in as owner-occupant, would you regard that as a negative?

Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 PM

6 posts, read 6,806 times
Larry Ave specifically are pretty nice homes. It's directly across the street from Hollywood, which is one of the better streets in NCH.

I lived in NCH briefly before going back up north to Hamilton where my family lives. We are currently trying to go back closer to downtown Cincinnati and would consider NCH/College Hill if we can't find any properties closer to Columbia-Tusculum.

Truth is, I really liked that area. There are some really scummy parts and their "downtown" is a bit of a joke besides their coffee shop and Marty's Hops and Vines. The good news, though, is that business-packed Northside is a quick 5-10 minutes down Hamilton Ave and about 10 minutes further than that is downtown Cincinnati. Makes for a nice location; you'll find large, Victorian homes with decent yards without being too far away from all of the action.

It seems that the worse areas of NCH are when you are heading towards Finneytown. We lived on Elkton and while we loved that street (tree lined, older cared for homes - for the most part - friendly neighbors) there were section 8 apartments at the very end and they'd get rowdy at times. Elkton continues going across Hamilton Ave and that area is really quiet and is covered in beautiful, mature trees.

Anyway, yes I think that area should be a contender if you're looking for stately homes on a conservative budget. If you are looking for more action, simply navigate your search just a few minutes down the road and check out Northside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or