U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:59 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,787,736 times

Advertisements

Si Wa, before you do this move make sure you do a long and thorough visit. Minneapolis is a whole different world than Cincinnati.

You'll likely be shooting for Walnut Hills HS and JH schools, which are the best in the state of Ohio. And for neighborhoods, I wouldn't hesitate to look in KY too along with the traditional Cincy choices of Hyde Park, Clifton Gaslight, Mt. Lookout, Mt. Adams, and increasingly OTR. If you do look into KY, try Ft. Thomas.

Also, Avondale might be worth a shot, but it can get dicier.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 07:33 PM

20 posts, read 17,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Si Wa, before you do this move make sure you do a long and thorough visit. Minneapolis is a whole different world than Cincinnati.

You'll likely be shooting for Walnut Hills HS and JH schools, which are the best in the state of Ohio. And for neighborhoods, I wouldn't hesitate to look in KY too along with the traditional Cincy choices of Hyde Park, Clifton Gaslight, Mt. Lookout, Mt. Adams, and increasingly OTR. If you do look into KY, try Ft. Thomas.

Also, Avondale might be worth a shot, but it can get dicier.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply!

I'm fine with it being different and very much looking for something different!

Are those schools in good/decent areas? I had a friend who lived there for a brief time and went to a fantastic public school but I remember them telling me the area it is in wasn't the greatest.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2016, 06:09 AM

400 posts, read 398,183 times
All of these areas (aside from KY) would be Cincinnati Public Schools. Cincinnati Public Schools |
Some (Hyde Park/Oakley/Mt Lookout) have neighborhood schools while some (N. Avondale, Clifton) are city-wide magnet programs that require a lottery. Do your research.

I think SWOH was referring to living in NORTH Avondale which is much different than Avondale.

Also, you might want to look at Northside. It's a fun & progressive community that is experiencing a revitalization. Lots of younger families & great live music.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:22 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,732,394 times
Oakley seems like a fantastic fit. By Cincinnati standards, 400k is a spectacular budget and in line with something really nice in Oakley. There are a lot of young families there.

I know families moving into so many different neighborhoods all around the City, Oakley, Paddock Hills / North Avondale, Pleasant Ridge, Kennedy Heights, Westwood, Covedale, Northside, and East Walnut Hills are probably where most land these days. The trajectory of everything seems very positive. But, being realistic, this is a fairly normal inland City and change is slow. I wouldn't come here expecting to see dramatic changes in 5 or 10 years.

We have far far far far far more in common with Milwaukee than we do Portland.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:12 AM

110 posts, read 165,427 times
Progmac - I'd argue there has been a crazy amount of change in the last 5 years, more than most cities would ever hope to see. Not to say that it's San Francisco now or something, but it's really amazing what they've accomplished. And they seem to be doing it in a way that will last a long time. Good local businesses and restaurants going in. There are still plenty of issues here but it seems like the future is brighter than most cities that have had major struggles.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:19 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,301,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Wa View Post
I'm curious is it relatively segregated or does everyone seem to co-exist with relatively little trouble? I was in Milwaukee and that city had a polarizing level of segregation that really put me off. My neighborhood now is overall white but other ethnic groups live on my block and others in the area with no issues.
I see Cinti as relatively segregated. Yes, people get along but that's because it's "relatively segregated."

"My neighborhood now is overall white but other ethnic groups live on my block and others in the area with no issues." Of course, there are many blocks that roll like this, but you will spend every bit of that $400k to live on such a block. Educated people respect all people and most seem to be living at that price point, plus.

Yes, ignorance knows no particular level of wealth or home price. But my experience was that I was not comfortable in many of the well kept lower middle class areas of the city. They were lily white & proud of it. When I say not comfortable, I mean I was put off.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:44 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,954,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
I see Cinti as relatively segregated. Yes, people get along but that's because it's "relatively segregated."

"My neighborhood now is overall white but other ethnic groups live on my block and others in the area with no issues." Of course, there are many blocks that roll like this, but you will spend every bit of that $400k to live on such a block. Educated people respect all people and most seem to be living at that price point, plus.

Yes, ignorance knows no particular level of wealth or home price. But my experience was that I was not comfortable in many of the well kept lower middle class areas of the city. They were lily white & proud of it. When I say not comfortable, I mean I was put off.

Commenting on the second paragraph, in which you certainly make a good point, except that respectful diversity IS available at a somewhat lower price point. My own neighborhood is extremely diverse, racially and ethnically, and has plenty of houses in the $200-$250K price range (although some higher). The only people who aren't welcome or accepted in the neighborhood are the ones who don't maintain their property. The worst longtime offender is an older white man who owns a successful business, has the resources to take care of his home, and just chooses to let it stay an eyesore.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:58 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,732,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Commenting on the second paragraph, in which you certainly make a good point, except that respectful diversity IS available at a somewhat lower price point. My own neighborhood is extremely diverse, racially and ethnically, and has plenty of houses in the $200-$250K price range (although some higher). The only people who aren't welcome or accepted in the neighborhood are the ones who don't maintain their property. The worst longtime offender is an older white man who owns a successful business, has the resources to take care of his home, and just chooses to let it stay an eyesore.
Speaking at least for the areas around me -- say Pleasant Ridge, Silverton, and Kennedy Heights (Although I think places like Madisonville and Paddock Hills are similar) -- I think these places are racially mixed and relatively affordable (far under 400k) KH in particular has quite a few streets like this in the mid 100s. I like to think that we mostly judge people only by the content of their character, all though I am sure we all have room to grow in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati