Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,393 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on where to focus our search. My husband, daughter and I will be moving in July to the Cincinnati area (from New Orleans) for my job, which is actually located in Northern Kentucky (Highland Heights). My husband may be temporarily working in Northern Kentucky as well, but could end up working anywhere in the surrounding area once he’s settled in. It could take some time before we know where he ends up.

I’ve always thought it’s best to rent when first moving to a new city to get to know what area feels best for you before buying. That being said, I don’t love the idea of living in a rental complex. (When I’ve rented in the past, it’s been in smaller buildings, not sprawling complexes.) However, I would assume a rental complex might be more flexible for a shorter or month-to-month lease while we search for a home to purchase. Also, more stressful, is the fact that my daughter will be starting kindergarten in the Fall. I want to make the best choice in the hopes that we don’t have to switch schools. I know that’s a tall order given how small elementary school districts can be and limitations in rental properties.

We would like to purchase a home in the $175-$220K range within a good school district. We spend a lot of time playing in the park, so being close to park options is ideal. Having an only child, I’d want to be in a neighborhood with young kids with whom she can play. My husband and I like to jog (though I don’t know that we’ll be able to manage all the hills!) We’ve always liked older homes with character, yet are also drawn to the idea of newer amenities and more space. We’re torn on that one.

I’m very much looking forward to more affordable options for homes, better public schools, and safer neighborhoods. Though I have to admit, I’m used to living within a cities, in very walkable areas (Chicago/Roscoe Village neighborhood and New Orleans/Uptown neighborhood). I am a little distressed about all of the bustle and activities we’ll be leaving behind, not to mention great food.

So far, some folks have told me Anderson Township is the way to go for affordable homes and good public schools. I’ve also been told we might like Ft. Thomas. Those two areas would produce a short commute for me and also for my husband’s current situation. Some other areas/school districts thrown out to us were Mason and Lakota. Can anyone recommend some other areas we might search? Will we have a tough time renting in the same place we intend to buy? Also, how has the housing market fared in the area? Should we be concerned about a drop in home prices in the near future? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 09:37 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Welcome!

I'd give Oakley a hearty recommendation in this case, which may seem odd but given what you want it is the most logical choice.

Why?

The elementary schools serving Oakley are excellent, and the community is walkable. You'll also be able to get a decent house in your price range, and the commute to Highland Heights won't be horrible since most of it is on I-471. Same logic goes for Mariemont, which I would give a tie for first with Oakley too, although the commute might be discouraging.

Good second choices include Milford (downtown), Ft. Mitchell KY, and Ft. Thomas, although you are right that you won't be getting much house for the money there.

Anyways, some options:

Oakley:
3940 Briggs Pl, Cincinnati, OH 45209 | MLS #1481289 | Zillow
3961 Paxton Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45209 | MLS #1486851 | Zillow
2725 Atlantic Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45209 | MLS #1486442 | Zillow

Ft. Mitchell:
30 Pleasant Ridge Ave, Ft Mitchell, KY 41017 | MLS #452270 | Zillow
2480 Fountain Pl # 4D, Lakeside Park, KY 41017 | MLS #450688 | Zillow
2822 Campus Dr, Crestview Hills, KY 41017 | MLS #451321 | Zillow

Milford:
520 Garfield Ave, Milford, OH 45150 | MLS #1478286 | Zillow
(unique property, maybe worth a look, don't know what to make of it)
4 Brooklyn Ln, Milford, OH 45150 | MLS #1484591 | Zillow
Keep an eye out, more should be coming on the market.

Mariemont:
6735 Cambridge Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45227 | MLS #1481079 | Zillow
3698 Arrow Point Way, Cincinnati, OH 45227 | MLS #1476790 | Zillow
6647 Palmetto St, Cincinnati, OH 45227 | Zillow

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2016, 05:15 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Welcome and good luck! It sounds like renting for a while is the best idea. My sense is that you don't exactly know what you want yet, which is why renting while you figure it out is probably a very good idea. At some point you will have to compromise and make a decision, and that is nearly impossible without knowing the area. Among the choices - do you want to settle in the burbs or do you want to live somewhere with 'bustle and good food?' There are family-friendly options either way, but at some point a choice must be made.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:35 PM

649 posts, read 816,541 times
Half of Oakley goes to the "not good" elementary school so you would have to watch schools boundaries carefully when choosing a house. The city of Fairfax is a great bargain for getting into Mariemont schools but you will get less for your money than Anderson. Fairfax makes for the easiest commute however. Also consider Pleasant Ridge/Kennedy Heights which is a weird mix of fancy and very downmarket and zoned to a "good" public montessori elementary school in the Cincinnati district, You would have to again be careful about exactly which street but for neighbor-quality not schools.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
I've lived in Anderson since arriving in Cincinnati four years ago, and I love it. Your housing budget (for purchase) will get you a good-sized house here (3-4 bedrooms, 2+ baths), and it's a very family-oriented community.

There ARE some rentals here, though not as many as there were a few years ago - the housing market has picked up considerably. You might want to check with a company called Groveton Properties (I'm in no way affiliated with them, just know of them) - they own several rental properties, solely in Anderson. I'm sure they're all rented out right now, but you should be able to find out if any of them are about to be vacant. We looked at renting from them when we first moved here - it didn't work out, only because they didn't have anything right at the time we were able to move, but I was impressed with all of my communications with them. Other than that, check the usual sources - Craigslist, realty websites, etc.

Anderson is definitely suburbia, and people joke about the plethora of chain restaurants - and while that's true, there are some excellent local places to eat if you bother to look past the Outback and Applebee's. It probably won't be anything like what you're used to, but I'm happy to point you in the direction of some fun and unique local places, should you be interested.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:57 PM

124 posts, read 138,241 times
I moved here last summer. You will pay a premium for getting in a good school district. I live in Milford and the schools are okay. No way we could afford a home in Blue Ash (Sycamore Schools). I would have liked to move closer to the city like Oakley or Hyde Park but that is unaffordable to when you need a large house and quiet street for the kids. Not sure what schools people think are great in Oakley? The only good public school is Kilgour but most of Oakley isnt zoned for that.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:08 AM

610 posts, read 796,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherinTN View Post
I moved here last summer. You will pay a premium for getting in a good school district. I live in Milford and the schools are okay. No way we could afford a home in Blue Ash (Sycamore Schools). I would have liked to move closer to the city like Oakley or Hyde Park but that is unaffordable to when you need a large house and quiet street for the kids. Not sure what schools people think are great in Oakley? The only good public school is Kilgour but most of Oakley isnt zoned for that.
Kilgour is not the only good public school. Most of Oakley is zoned for Hyde Park Elementary. A very good school.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:32 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinola View Post
Hello everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on where to focus our search. My husband, daughter and I will be moving in July to the Cincinnati area (from New Orleans) for my job, which is actually located in Northern Kentucky (Highland Heights). My husband may be temporarily working in Northern Kentucky as well, but could end up working anywhere in the surrounding area once he’s settled in. It could take some time before we know where he ends up.

I’ve always thought it’s best to rent when first moving to a new city to get to know what area feels best for you before buying. That being said, I don’t love the idea of living in a rental complex. (When I’ve rented in the past, it’s been in smaller buildings, not sprawling complexes.) However, I would assume a rental complex might be more flexible for a shorter or month-to-month lease while we search for a home to purchase. Also, more stressful, is the fact that my daughter will be starting kindergarten in the Fall. I want to make the best choice in the hopes that we don’t have to switch schools. I know that’s a tall order given how small elementary school districts can be and limitations in rental properties.

We would like to purchase a home in the $175-$220K range within a good school district. We spend a lot of time playing in the park, so being close to park options is ideal. Having an only child, I’d want to be in a neighborhood with young kids with whom she can play. My husband and I like to jog (though I don’t know that we’ll be able to manage all the hills!) We’ve always liked older homes with character, yet are also drawn to the idea of newer amenities and more space. We’re torn on that one.

I’m very much looking forward to more affordable options for homes, better public schools, and safer neighborhoods. Though I have to admit, I’m used to living within a cities, in very walkable areas (Chicago/Roscoe Village neighborhood and New Orleans/Uptown neighborhood). I am a little distressed about all of the bustle and activities we’ll be leaving behind, not to mention great food.

So far, some folks have told me Anderson Township is the way to go for affordable homes and good public schools. I’ve also been told we might like Ft. Thomas. Those two areas would produce a short commute for me and also for my husband’s current situation. Some other areas/school districts thrown out to us were Mason and Lakota. Can anyone recommend some other areas we might search? Will we have a tough time renting in the same place we intend to buy? Also, how has the housing market fared in the area? Should we be concerned about a drop in home prices in the near future? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Checking in a little late, but I don't think other people commenting on the thread have given enough emphasis to the northern Kentucky communities of Ft. Mitchell and Ft. Thomas. Both would be good choices for you based on working in the area, their neighborhood feel (Ft. Thomas more than Ft. Mitchell), and their excellent school systems (named Beechwood in Ft. Mitchell). The down side is that these are desirable places to live with housing prices to match. That said, your budget should still be doable.

There's not a thing wrong with the recommendations you've been given already, especially if you're not terribly interested in living near where you work. Everyone who posts here naturally has their favorite neighborhoods and we tend to talk them up for newcomers.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:46 PM

124 posts, read 138,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Kilgour is not the only good public school. Most of Oakley is zoned for Hyde Park Elementary. A very good school.
Isn't that school a magnet school for the gifted? Anyone in the city can attend if they are accepted. I was told kids had to have been tested and qualify as gifted and have an IEP.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 PM

410 posts, read 586,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherinTN View Post
Isn't that school a magnet school for the gifted? Anyone in the city can attend if they are accepted. I was told kids had to have been tested and qualify as gifted and have an IEP.
No, Hyde Park School is a combination of gifted magnet (grades 3-6) and traditional neighborhood school K-5 with grade 6 being added in 2017-18.

Hyde Park School

It's a relatively new CPS school that opened 3 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati