U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:28 AM
 
18 posts, read 11,384 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Hey all. I'll piggy back off this thread for now. Another family of 3 strongly considering the Cincinnati area for our next move, probably this summer. Similar budget to the OP as well.

First question - I wonder why no one has mentioned Park Hills yet. What is that neighborhood like? I see there are some affordable houses, it's near what looks like a great big park (Devou), and it's not very far from the city.

Also, I wonder if some people can provide insight into what realistic rush hour commute times are like from some places a little farther from the city. Trying to determine what's the right balance between affordability, availability of larger lots, and commute time.

So anyone know realistic commute times for these random places?
- Milford
- Florence
- Deer Park

Let me know if there are other suggestions! Would love to end up on 1/3 acre or more, but would settle for a decent suburb-sized yard of 0.2 acres or so.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (P Ridge)
576 posts, read 447,755 times
Reputation: 476
Park Hills is probably never mentioned just based on its size. I believe only 2500 people live there. Honestly, there are lot of nice small cities like Park Hills in NKY that don't get mentioned much for the same reason. That part of Kenton County alone is home to Lakeside Park, Ft Mitchell, Ft Wright, Crescent Springs, Villa Hills and Crestview Hills. All are nice little towns where it's hard to even tell when you cross in from one town to another.

Others should be able to help on commute times the town you listed but the warning about living in KY and commuting to Ohio is traffic can be terrible with the bridges. If there is a wreck on one bridge all the other bridges will become a nightmare.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:58 AM
 
18 posts, read 11,384 times
Reputation: 17
Great, thanks cincydave8.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:07 PM
 
124 posts, read 98,551 times
Reputation: 101
I drive the top part of 275 loop everyday (From Milford to hwy 74). So I can speak on that strip of road. It takes me 45 minutes for the morning commute. What I have noticed is this. Traffic Is slow when traveling west on 275 with brakes lights all the way from Milford to about Reed Hartman Hwy exit. That's because everyone is heading north to catch 71. If you stay on 275 it is a breeze from Reed Hartman all the way to 74. West siders have the same problem but in reverse. Traffic heading east is really bad on 275 out of Colerain towards 75. All these people are heading for 75 and 71 as well. Once past 75, traffic lightens up and then is smooth sailing all the way down past Milford. I cannot speak for traffic on 71 and 75 traffic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:47 PM
 
18 posts, read 11,384 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherinTN View Post
I drive the top part of 275 loop everyday (From Milford to hwy 74). So I can speak on that strip of road. It takes me 45 minutes for the morning commute. What I have noticed is this. Traffic Is slow when traveling west on 275 with brakes lights all the way from Milford to about Reed Hartman Hwy exit. That's because everyone is heading north to catch 71. If you stay on 275 it is a breeze from Reed Hartman all the way to 74. West siders have the same problem but in reverse. Traffic heading east is really bad on 275 out of Colerain towards 75. All these people are heading for 75 and 71 as well. Once past 75, traffic lightens up and then is smooth sailing all the way down past Milford. I cannot speak for traffic on 71 and 75 traffic.
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 03:07 PM
 
630 posts, read 455,332 times
Reputation: 1151
It just depends where you are commuting TO, very few people work downtown, so how long it takes to get THERE covers only like 10% of your possible commutes.

Many jobs are actually north of Cincinnati which makes KY a bad choice unless you work downtown or in KY.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 03:12 PM
 
18 posts, read 11,384 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
It just depends where you are commuting TO, very few people work downtown, so how long it takes to get THERE covers only like 10% of your possible commutes.

Many jobs are actually north of Cincinnati which makes KY a bad choice unless you work downtown or in KY.
Interesting, thanks, that's helpful. I would probably be working remotely for at least 6 months, and potentially continuing to work remotely long-term. However, there's a good chance I'll be looking for a new job in 6 months as well.

Sounds like signs are pointing to renting for me at first. Only problem with that is I have a baby mama who is ready to start nesting RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! ;-)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (P Ridge)
576 posts, read 447,755 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
It just depends where you are commuting TO, very few people work downtown, so how long it takes to get THERE covers only like 10% of your possible commutes.

Many jobs are actually north of Cincinnati which makes KY a bad choice unless you work downtown or in KY.

Very few people? "60,028 people work in downtown, Over-the-Rhine or Pendleton"

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...opulation.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 05:55 PM
 
630 posts, read 455,332 times
Reputation: 1151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post

Very few people? "60,028 people work in downtown, Over-the-Rhine or Pendleton"

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...opulation.html
That is only 7% of the population of Hamilton County, the other 93% don't work in the CBD. Most people do not work downtown.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 06:55 PM
 
874 posts, read 1,039,323 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
That is only 7% of the population of Hamilton County, the other 93% don't work in the CBD. Most people do not work downtown.
And it's likely that a large amount of that 60,028 don't even live in Hamilton County, so that number is a much smaller percentage of the Cincinnati metro area.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top