U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,777 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Butler County, but needing to move closer to downtown as my boyfriend works there and he would like to shorten his two-hour-a-day commute.

Budget is roughly $150k.

We have seen quite a few houses we like in Northside, but we are wondering about safety. How is it walking around a nighttime? Safe? To be avoided? Also, I am a small young female and will be alone in the house on rare occasions - should I be worried?

Chase, Williamson and Brookside are all streets that we have looked on. Are these decent areas?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 AM

6 posts, read 6,777 times
...anyone?

Old 03-31-2016, 07:04 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times
It's a little tough to answer your question, because Northside is such a transitional neighborhood that a street can really change block by block. IMO the neighborhood's general trajectory has been and still is in an upward direction--for that reason a home in an area where restoration and gentrification are already underway will likely be a decent investment. And certainly the neighborhood's location within the greater Cincinnati area has a LOT to recommend it. But I think you have to realize it's an urban neighborhood that simply isn't going to offer the kind of safety and security as a place in a many of the suburbs.

If I were thinking about buying there, I'd do two things. First, ring neighboring doorbells and talk with the neighbors. Find out if they rent or own, ask specifically what their personal experience with crime, noise, etc. have been. Second, sit in your car on the street in front of the property for a couple hours at various times of day and night. Just observe what's happening on the street.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:02 AM

102 posts, read 68,447 times
You'll be fine at home alone for sure. I have a good female friend who lives alone on Chase. She is 25 and doesn't have any issues at all. I'd say the above advice is good, but I'd also suggest taking a walk around the neighborhood to see if you feel safe. If you don't then it probably won't be for you. Northside has a lot to commend about it, though I can't really speak to housing prices as my wife and I are currently renters and not in the market for five years or so.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:12 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,781,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
.... but I'd also suggest taking a walk around the neighborhood to see if you feel safe. If you don't then it probably won't be for you.
Would +1 this whole statement, especially this part.

Safety is a basic hygiene factor, so if you don't feel safe you won't be happy and it is not for you, regardless of what the statistics say.

Otherwise, a number of statements in your OP lead me to believe your mind is made up, specifically "Also, I am a small young female and will be alone in the house on rare occasions - should I be worried?" . If you don't think you'll be safe in your own house then it's probably not the place for you despite the fact that any event where someone is going to come into your house and cause you physical harm is negligible at the most.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2016, 11:15 AM

95 posts, read 59,753 times
i live in northside and close to those streets you mentioned. my wife and i and two cats. i work third shift every other week, so the pretty lady's home alone and she's not worried or stressed out. she's also of similar stature. but she doesn't venture out at night too often, mostly because she's a frugal farm girl. those streets you mentioned are fine, but the further west you go on chase (when it approaches kirby) is kinda rough. generally, west of hamilton ave is nice and east of it is coming up. as far as safety at night, i can't speak from a female's prospective but i would be hesitant walking alone, just like any urban neighborhood. but that doesn't seem to stop them. i would also avoid the sidestreets off knowlton. overall i think it's a pretty safe neighborhood. there's just enough blight to keep northside affordable and super dope. not a fan of the gantry-fictation however.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruschev View Post
i live in northside and close to those streets you mentioned. my wife and i and two cats. i work third shift every other week, so the pretty lady's home alone and she's not worried or stressed out. she's also of similar stature. but she doesn't venture out at night too often, mostly because she's a frugal farm girl. those streets you mentioned are fine, but the further west you go on chase (when it approaches kirby) is kinda rough. generally, west of hamilton ave is nice and east of it is coming up. as far as safety at night, i can't speak from a female's prospective but i would be hesitant walking alone, just like any urban neighborhood. but that doesn't seem to stop them. i would also avoid the sidestreets off knowlton. overall i think it's a pretty safe neighborhood. there's just enough blight to keep northside affordable and super dope. not a fan of the gantry-fictation however.

Helpful post, and I only want to address your last sentence. I bet you're a renter, not an owner, and primarily what gentrification means to you is that your rent may be rising.

Young folks buying a first home can benefit a lot from choosing a neighborhood where there's a lot of rehab activity, property values are rising, and higher-income people are moving in. Because a lot of 20-somethings who buy in Northside will eventually want to go elsewhere and trade up when they start having kids. Not everybody--I get that--but many will. The CPS school which serves Northside wouldn't be most people's first choice, by any means.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 AM

95 posts, read 59,753 times
we bought our house three years ago. i was referring to the building which went up on the corner of blue rock and hamilton. it's called the gantry. just a play on words.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruschev View Post
we bought our house three years ago. i was referring to the building which went up on the corner of blue rock and hamilton. it's called the gantry. just a play on words.

Ah, I get it now! I applaud the development of commercial space in Northside but I hate that building. The design is ugly, visually intrusive, and inappropriate for its surroundings.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:12 AM

14 posts, read 8,913 times
We just bought way out in Miami township for the schools for our autistic son.....But make sure you check out all the incentives for buying in the city! 5000 down payment money, there are environmental energy grants and loans. here is one link

Ohio energy tax credit, rebates, grants for solar, wind and geothermal | dasolar.com

especially in historical homes...there is free money...The city needs buyers like you!

we are currently staying in an airbnb on vine (st benards) till our house closes. I love being in the city....just wish Cincinnati Public Schools were a little more autism friendly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati