U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:21 PM

660 posts, read 433,590 times

Advertisements

When I graduate college in a few years, Cincinnati is one of the cities I would consider moving to to start my career.

1. Is Downtown Cincinnati bustling with young people around the under 25 age range?

2. Is there a good amount of computer science jobs in Downtown?

3. Are there a lot of apartments in Downtown?

4. How safe in Cincinnati?

5. Is there a lot of walking traffic in Downtown?

6. Would you consider Downtown Cincinnati as a "stepping stone" city where it would be good for two-three years before moving on, or a city that would be good to settle in for a few decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,795,638 times
1. yes
2. sure
3. yes
4. fine
5. depends
6. idk

sorry normally im more helpful but im tired now. others will do a good job, ill reply in depth later

Old 04-11-2016, 08:53 PM

8 posts, read 13,068 times
1. Yes. Downtown Cincinnati and the Northside areas are great for young people. Also, there are some great bars and nightlife across the river in Northern Kentucky for young people.
2. I actually can't answer this one, I don't know anything about that industry.
3. Yes, there are a lot of apartments downtown, but they are mostly very expensive. If they are within your price range, there are some great ones. Cincinnati neighborhoods are mostly hit and miss. You can have some really nice neighborhoods right next to some really rough neighborhoods. I would recommend areas outside of downtown.
4. Again, this is relative. Race relations in Cincinnati have not been great for quite some time. I personally do not feel safe in Cincinnati, which is why when I lived there I always stayed outside the city center. There are quite a lot of homeless in the city, as well as a raging heroin epidemic.
5. No, not so much. If you're used to walking traffic in cities like New York, the streets will feel abandoned.
6. I mean, I moved from the Cincinnati area with no plans to return. I was born and raised there, and truly, it's not a bad area in general. The weather there is bipolar. You can expect it to be 60 degrees one day and 30 degrees with freezing rain the next day, then back again. If you can handle that for more than a few years, more power to you.

Good luck if you do decide to move to Cincinnati. The city has a lot of negative points, but also has a lot to offer.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:48 AM

7,119 posts, read 4,110,661 times
Here's a thread about downtown:

How Is Living In Downtown Cleveland??

Check out this website:

DCA Quarterly Market Update, Downtown Cleveland - Downtown Cleveland Alliance

Many of the high tech jobs, including IT, in Cleveland are healthcare related.

Hyland Software, top large employer, believes in life beyond work: Top Workplaces 2015 (photos) | cleveland.com

Old 04-12-2016, 05:45 AM

3,386 posts, read 3,711,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
You are so desperate to draw attention to Cleveland that you blatantly hijacked this thread, which is clearly about Cincinnati. (Surely you must have noticed that the OP posted the very same questions exactly one minute later on the Cleveland forum!)

Old 04-12-2016, 06:16 AM

573 posts, read 442,884 times
Cincinnati was literally just named a top city for college grads: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...ent-grads.html

1. Yes, and tons more just north of downtown in OTR

2. No idea

3. Yes, tons. But price range will effect how many you can actually rent

4. Use common sense and you'll be fine. I've never felt unsafe walking around downtown.

5. I guess so? There's always people walking around the banks, fountain square and Vine St and Main St.

6. I don't have any plans to move out. The city doing a lot of exciting things and is finally starting to see growth in population after decades of decline. So, both?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:18 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,612,995 times
This guy isn't even in college yet.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:50 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
This guy isn't even in college yet.
I was going to be more helpful, then I saw this (thanks for doing the research there Am Lux) and now I'm not. At least for the topic question. But I do think a discussion is necessary elsewhere.

OP, my best advice is to get the most out of college that you can. Enjoy the ride, it's a heck of a time and never in your life will you have the same kind of lifestyle or experience as your undergraduate college years. Don't waste it. Make friends, have fun, PARTY!!! (please don't skip this step! drink, Drink, DRINK!! as much as you can without blacking out, shooting your grades in the crapper, or getting in trouble with the law). Again, if I didn't emphasize it enough already, do yourself a favor and start partying and drinking, you never get this time back to do it when it's socially acceptable and you'll learn more about yourself through that than a book or talking head could ever teach you. So join that frat, go to that Wednesday night bar special, throw it up like MAKONNEN on a Tuesday. Go hard bro! Have fun. Make friends. Go for the memories. But keep the 3.0. I wish I wouldn't have missed my own freshman year partying like I did..... staying in is not a wise choice to make.

That being said, college isn't easy. It's a massive adjustment to have to make all new friends and learn how to live in a new place. It's hard. And the classes are even worse sometimes. You'll want to cry and go back home. Lord knows I did. But that's life, things change and it's not easy, so you have to appreciate what you have while you have it (which reminds me, I'm going to enjoy the library tonight and this nice day outside today while I can, I'm in my last semester on campus). Don't look too far in the future, at least not yet. I always have the same issue too. But if you keep looking ahead you won't have time to enjoy what you have now.... and it'll be gone before you know it.

Last point is really think hard about your major. Take as much time as you need to understand what life would really be like after graduating with that degree. Is that the life you want? Would you enjoy the job it leads to (or may not lead to)? That's a big decision you'll have to make, it really sets the course for the rest of your life. Make sure you go into something you are ok with doing, from both a personal fulfillment perspective and earnings perspective. To that question, you don't have to have the answer right now, nor should you. Please, for your own personal development, take a class or two in an area of interest that doesn't fit the rigid curriculum. You might find out that's what you want to do for the rest of your life!

Good luck! If you ever want advice from someone who's just finishing college on a dual business/engineering degree track, feel free to send me a DM. I made my fair share of mistakes along the way, and at your age I was a ringer for you personally, probably indistinguishable almost from what I'm gathering here. We're too ambitious haha. So seriously, sorry this post is so long and best of luck at Syracuse!

Old 04-14-2016, 06:23 PM

660 posts, read 433,590 times
After college, I think Minneapolis and Cincy is at the top of my list with Pittsburgh and Kansas City behind. What I like about those two cities is availability to everything, once I get a job and make a steady income I could do many things such as going to a few Reds game per month as I am a big baseball fan. I could get season tickets to Paul Brown Stadium or leave the city and drive an hour or so out of Cincy to go snowboarding, hunting, and fishing. And in Downtown, everything is relatively walkable.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,145,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
OP isn't asking about Cleveland in this thread. He's asking about Cincinnati. A city that got more votes than Cleveland after a recent poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or