U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 03:34 PM

31,199 posts, read 57,331,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschooler81 View Post
btw, just taking a guess by the 81 in your username that you must be 34 or 35. You must have an amazing memory! Did you remember seeing him on TV when you were a kid?
I moved to Cincinnati in 1983 as a full-fledged adult and news junkie. My memory is good despite all the abuse I've heaped on my brain over the past 40 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
I remember he had a fair number of thoughtful commentaries on WLWT. A lot of people I know in other cities are surprised when I tell them he was actually a respectable journalist once upon a time.
A lot of people in Cincinnati were surprised when he turned out to be a respectable journalist ...

I'd never heard of him until the gubernatorial primary in 1982, when he played up the prostitute scandal to illustrate himself as an honest guy. He ran as a Democrat along with William J. Brown and eventual governor Dick Celeste; I was a newspaper reporter in a Cleveland suburb at the time, and saw him a few times at campaign appearances. I never met him once I moved to Cincinnati.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I used to see him in Mt. Adams all of the time when I was in grad school. He did a lot of Elvis karaoke at Longworth's. He was really quite good.
Dang, I didn't hang out in Mt. Adams back then. LOL I was witnessing Dennis Jansen chasing women 20 years his junior at Neon's.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 05-09-2016 at 03:48 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 12:45 PM

29 posts, read 65,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I moved to Cincinnati in 1983 as a full-fledged adult and news junkie. My memory is good despite all the abuse I've heaped on my brain over the past 40 years.

A lot of people in Cincinnati were surprised when he turned out to be a respectable journalist ...

I'd never heard of him until the gubernatorial primary in 1982, when he played up the prostitute scandal to illustrate himself as an honest guy. He ran as a Democrat along with William J. Brown and eventual governor Dick Celeste; I was a newspaper reporter in a Cleveland suburb at the time, and saw him a few times at campaign appearances. I never met him once I moved to Cincinnati. .
Ohh my bad! Guess I'm so used to numbers in people's profiles referring to their birthyear, but that's pretty neat you're in the news media yourself. And speaking of singing, another great thing about Jerry is he's a big fan of oldies/classic rock. As crazy as it may sound, I actually might prefer his 1988 cover of "Me and Bobby McGee" more than Janis' original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64b6NZDK3Ec

Old 05-10-2016, 03:05 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,354,585 times
Maybe his Elvis is better than his Bobby McGee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3F6Nu2S6NM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw7WS-lHI2g

Old 05-10-2016, 05:47 PM

^ Yeah, his Elvis impressions are classic!

Btw, not sure if it's against board rules to mention anything like this, but does anyone have 80s and early 90s footage of him taped? If so please message me 'cause I'd be happy to set up a trade or buy the tapes, etc. It must be pretty rare since its 25-30 years ago and just local, and I figured this would be the best place to try and ask.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:38 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,616,053 times
[quote=Oldschooler81;43982398

I was always especially interested in this part of his career, especially the commentaries he did, since I'm quite liberal and love politics and news. I always wanted to chat with locals who watched him at the time and figured here's as good a place as any to try, lol. Did anybody meet him back then, or have any memories of him while on the local news? (Or during the 70s when he was mayor and councilman.) Since those days are so long ago now, quite a bit of it probably doesn't even have so much as a mention online.

[/quote]

Jerry Springer gave conservative commentaries during his tv news stint.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:17 AM

682 posts, read 475,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschooler81 View Post

Whatever happened to Norma R?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,354,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Whatever happened to Norma R?
I believe she teaches communications at UC. There was a big stink when she was replaced.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,181,984 times
I always thought he was generally a good guy also. Learning to ballroom dance on TV for his daughter's wedding, etc., and I do agree that his heart is in the right place.
1) Reminded me of Bill Clinton in many ways. Had the natural smoothness of a younger politician, shaking hands and kissing babies and smiling and all that. Not to mention ridiculously bright. And people just generally liked him and were drawn to him. But he also reminded me of Clinton in that for all of his obvious positives, attractive women were a major issue for him and his personal and professional life. In '92 he was all over my girlfriend in the concession line at Riverfront during a Reds game. Harmless (kinda sorta) and she shrugged it off, but didn't surprise me at all, and it didn't anger me (we were in our twenties then and he was...uh...older), it just made us feel a bit sorry for him. Like Clinton, he found ways to derail and self-sabotage his own progress and seemingly limitless potential.
2) The other thing I remember about Springer was that during a short stretch of time in the early '90's ('92 or even '93 maybe), he would have his crazy tabloid talk show with trashy women rolling around on the ground punching each other out, and a few minutes later he immediately would be seen anchoring the Cincinnati evening news talking about the Middle East or a shooting in Price Hill. I guess none of it seemed weird to anyone else but to me it was outright bizarre to see that the same guy egging on a catfight was trying minutes later to be Walter Cronkite. If ever the lines were blurred between entertainment and "serious and important" TV news, it was there at that moment. Eventually the TV station also saw the craziness of the visual transition and Springer was out as an anchor, but it was all so bizarre to see while it existed for that short span of time.

Last edited by kpl1228; 05-12-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 02:08 PM

59 posts, read 82,986 times
I remember one broadcast with Norma Rashid and Jerry in particular. Norma had finished a story about an abused child and turned the next story over to Jerry. The camera focused on Jerry and he was so visibly broken up that he could not speak. After a few seconds, Norma (with camera back on her) announced an unscripted commercial break (to give Jerry time to gain control). Commercial breaks are not normally announced. This shows how sensitive he is and that he has a heart. He has a daughter with a disability, so maybe this makes him more sensitive to children.

At the end of each show he had his usual sign-off: Take care or yourself, and each other.

During a trip to Colorado, Norma contracted an incurable life threatening illness that affected her heart, viral cardiomyopathy. It was said then that in time she might require a heart transplant. Norma covered the Lucasville prison riots in 1993 and she was very pregnant at the time.

Unfortunately, in about 1999, Norma received a dui. She was fired in about 2000 and filed an age and sex discrimination suit.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $honey View Post
I remember one broadcast with Norma Rashid and Jerry in particular. Norma had finished a story about an abused child and turned the next story over to Jerry. The camera focused on Jerry and he was so visibly broken up that he could not speak. After a few seconds, Norma (with camera back on her) announced an unscripted commercial break (to give Jerry time to gain control). Commercial breaks are not normally announced. This shows how sensitive he is and that he has a heart. He has a daughter with a disability, so maybe this makes him more sensitive to children.

At the end of each show he had his usual sign-off: Take care or yourself, and each other.

During a trip to Colorado, Norma contracted an incurable life threatening illness that affected her heart, viral cardiomyopathy. It was said then that in time she might require a heart transplant. Norma covered the Lucasville prison riots in 1993 and she was very pregnant at the time.

Unfortunately, in about 1999, Norma received a dui. She was fired in about 2000 and filed an age and sex discrimination suit.
That's powerful. Could easily see him doing that... in the 90s episodes of his talk show as a young teen, I can remember him having a big heart for children and anyone in abusive situations. Honestly I think if he had just gone onto the next story like it was no big deal, that would've seemed unnatural and cold. That kind of honesty I think sets him apart from so many others. Loved him on DWTS in 2006 too, you can tell how much his daughter means to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati