U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,096 times

Advertisements

My family and I have just relocated to the Cincinnati area and are looking to buy a home in the next few months. My husband is working in the Fairfield market and prefers to have a commute of no more than 30 minutes. We are currently renting in the West Chester area but are considering either buying or building in the surrounding areas. Curious if anyone can lend advice as to which area may be better for resale value, schools etc. We have a 3 year old and newborn. We have looked into buying in Four Bridges, building in Roberts Park or building in the new Estates area of Foxborough. Budget is around $500k. Appreciate any help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 06:41 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,461,700 times
One of my favorite neighborhoods in Mason is on Hickory Woods Blvd (off Bethany Rd). It has extra wide walking trails including one that circles a pond. In the summer, this path is very active with kids playing soccer and a lot of little kids fishing in the pond. Additionally, you can walk to Mason Early Childhood Center (kindergarten thru 2nd grade).

Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 PM

3,514 posts, read 3,780,583 times
I would avoid west Chester, especially with a $500k budget. You'll want to look in mason instead of you want suburbia in the same location, Glendale or Wyoming if you'd prefer small town, and Lebanon if you want land.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2016, 07:04 PM

124 posts, read 97,318 times
You won't get as much house for your money but Blu Ash is highly desirable and the Sycamore school system is one of the best. I would think a home in this area would appreciate more than West Chester. The housing stock is older so the trend is People are even demolishing 50 year old homes and building new there. Mason is also a good bet and newer with an equally good school system. The only negative I hear is how huge it is and that kids can get lost in the mix.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:08 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,080 times
Sycamore would be great. It just depends on the commute from where in Sycamore's Schools (Montgomery or Blue Ash) to where in Fairfield. I-275 along the section between I-71 and I-75 can be either OK at best, or gridlocked at worst. It really depends on where point A and point B reside.

Mason wouldn't be a bad choice, as it has great parks, programs (in school and out), a wonderful rec center (which Blue Ash has going for it as well) and decent lot sizes. The houses, especially the ones built between 2000-2007 can be a little cookie-cutter and some haven't aged as well as others (in terms of style, vs. neglect). Schools are big, however, and can become daunting to some.

With Wyoming, you may have an older home, but the schools are smaller, and the district usually resides in the top 5 (or at worst, top 10) statewide. Keep in mind, the state has some 611 individual school districts. Wyoming would also be reverse much of the commute traffic on I-75, though there may be some congestion around the GE engine plant in Evendale. There are also concerns near the Mill Creek in the lower part of Wyoming on contaminants. That only affects a small portion of the city though, but worth a note. Glendale, just to the north of Wyoming, is nice. It has many old, charter-laden homes. But keep in mind, you will be in the more diverse (think socio-economic lines) Princeton schools versus a Wyoming or Mason or Sycamore. The latter three have much more wealth backing their families than some parts of the Princeton district.

Liberty Township, which is the township north of West Chester, is where the hot-bed of development in Lakota Schools is now. That and even parts of Monroe's southern edge have taken off where West Chester Township left off / built-out in the mid-2000's. That may be an option, though you do have Lakota Schools, which like Mason, are huge. And they can be knocked down a peg or two compared to some of the other school districts in the area, but are still well-respected.

Lebanon itself would probably be a hike, though parts of its township (Turtlecreek Township) may be desirable if you need an acre. Or maybe 5. Still, it will be a longer commute, and may depend on where point A is relative to point B. There is also a large prison along the western edge of the township against the Monroe border. Not always the nicest thing to have as neighbors. Still, development has been popping up all across the area up there.

My personal ranking if it was my half-a-million in housing budget... 1) Wyoming 2) Mason 3) Blue Ash/Montgomery/Sycamore 4) Liberty Township

Keep in mind, I feel 2 and 3 are interchangeable depending on what you are looking for in a home and community.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:20 PM

104 posts, read 74,857 times
I'm jumping in here. Thank you wrightflyer for so much info. I have just started my research on the Cincy area but will be buying with a much smaller budget as a single mother. Mason appears to be more affordable than Wyoming, and I am also looking at Loveland and Anderson Twp. If you have any insight or feelings on these two areas I welcome your comments. I likely will post my own questions soon too.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:41 AM

124 posts, read 97,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyspring View Post
I'm jumping in here. Thank you wrightflyer for so much info. I have just started my research on the Cincy area but will be buying with a much smaller budget as a single mother. Mason appears to be more affordable than Wyoming, and I am also looking at Loveland and Anderson Twp. If you have any insight or feelings on these two areas I welcome your comments. I likely will post my own questions soon too.
Look into Milford as well (between Loveland and Anderson Twp) you can get more house for your money. Of course not knowing where you work makes any suggestion not very helpful.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:04 PM

443 posts, read 1,018,094 times
I think Liberty Township, Lebanon, Mason, Kings Mill only thing I don't like about Wyoming and Glendale is the grocery stories are trashy.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:52 AM

104 posts, read 74,857 times
Thank you both TeacherinTN. I'm bringing my job with me, work remote, so I need cable or fiber optic internet is all. I have Milford in the search by my realtor but not much is showing up there in my price range. Patience is a virtue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or