U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 AM

628 posts, read 449,166 times

Advertisements

I was just reading that Enquirer article about them adding a skywheel to the Levee, which included info about the possible departure of Barnes and Noble and an IMAX theater that's sitting empty. I can't help but think that adding more stuff to the Levee is not going to solve it's inherent problem of "who is this a entertainment destination for?"

We went to a Friday night movie there about 6 mo ago, and the entire place was overrun by rowdy teens for whom it obviously was their usual destination, lots of stuff inside was closed and the layout is weird. It was hard to figure out how and where to go for the movie once we were in there. The self contained nature of the behemoth almost totally ignored the street and was not built to allow people to naturally flow to other "destinations" (lol) in Newport.

I don't think that adding a big wad of apartments, or a ferris wheel, is going to help that area become anything since it seems to lack a human-scale development plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:07 AM

400 posts, read 399,637 times
I agree completely. The Levee has always reminded me of a smaller version of Forest Fair Mall. Upscale adult restaurants, family activities and yet appealing to the teenage set to hang out- It seems to want to be all things to all people.

The sky wheel is not a bad idea. I would like to see how The Levee plans to incorporate it.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,796,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
I was just reading that Enquirer article about them adding a skywheel to the Levee, which included info about the possible departure of Barnes and Noble and an IMAX theater that's sitting empty. I can't help but think that adding more stuff to the Levee is not going to solve it's inherent problem of "who is this a entertainment destination for?"

We went to a Friday night movie there about 6 mo ago, and the entire place was overrun by rowdy teens for whom it obviously was their usual destination, lots of stuff inside was closed and the layout is weird. It was hard to figure out how and where to go for the movie once we were in there. The self contained nature of the behemoth almost totally ignored the street and was not built to allow people to naturally flow to other "destinations" (lol) in Newport.

I don't think that adding a big wad of apartments, or a ferris wheel, is going to help that area become anything since it seems to lack a human-scale development plan.
I'd also agree, especially with the bolded point. It is built at suburban scale.

But the other side of the coin is that it does help draw in suburbanites, despite the stiff competition it gets for that sector from The Banks. To that end, I think projects like Aqua on The Levee, the Ferris Wheel, etc. will help.

IMO, its purpose if equitable to that of Navy Pier to Chicago. It's not really a mall, but more of a quasi-urban, quasi-not tourist trap that makes for good pictures and a Disneyified city experience. Again, great for bringing in suburbanites.

If I were the property managers, I'd work fast to convert the back port of the large building (facing east) into a hotel. This will take care of most of the IMAX space, and if it's done fast enough it can establish itself in the market before the hotel bubble pops. Barnes & Noble would be an easy conversion to theme restaurants and nightclubs (Hard Rock Cafe or Rainforest Cafe, anyone?).

Old 06-04-2016, 04:35 PM

390 posts, read 208,178 times
As a bonafide suburbanite I can confirm we like the levy. Not for traditional shopping but we like the atmosphere, the family friendliness, the walking bridge, and the nearby parks. I really hope they get the money to maintain the walking bridge. Its a great asset for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or