Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:12 AM

108 posts, read 119,598 times

Advertisements

Hi TN Teacher, you are well versed with western OR then. I moved to OR from Cali in 2004, first Grants Pass, then Roseburg, then the Portland Metro. A good friend of mine and I used to visit Eugene for TJ's shopping and to get the hell out of Roseburg. Anyway, yes it is extremely liberal there, and in the Portland Metro, to the extent that you feel anything but liberated! Actually the friendliest neighborhood I've ever been to was Multnomah Village, 10 mins from my old SW Hills Portland hood and a world of friendly difference.

I agree that the cost would kill you today (house prices in Eugene are in the $175-$225/ sq foot range), daycare is prohibitive here, gas isn't cheap, and property taxes are ugly. I can deal with the rain (Actually Cincinnati gets more rainfall than Portland per Wikipedia), but I don't like the endless grey/chilly days. Summer is way too short in Portland. Eugene isn't quite as bad but it is overcast there a lot too. To be honest I first contacted a realtor in Eugene thinking that is where I would go since I know people both south and north, but then I looked at what I could afford and what schools my kids would go to and I decided I could do better than 23-25 students:teacher. OR schools are ranked near the bottom of the 50 states, along with Cali's. WA schools are improving. Your kids are way better off in OH schools, and college will be so much more affordable for them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 11:07 AM

124 posts, read 137,491 times
Sunnyspring, I agree with everything you've said. You are are right about the rain. I guess I was meaning "rainy days" as opposed to rainfall in inches. I can deal with a quick thunderstorm that dumps a lot of rain if I'm going to get sunshine. Not seeing the sun for 3 months in Oregon winters is a bummer though.

When I moved from Oregon to Tenn. I really enjoyed the sunshine. The only thing I dislike is the humidity in summer. Ohio is pretty much the same for humidity and heat. it took me a while to get used to how friendly people were when I first moved out of Oregon. That was the biggest culture shock for me. I felt like I had moved to Pleasantville and everyone was being fake or something. People smile and wave when they walk or drive past you. So different from Oregon. Cincinnati is very similar to Tenn for people culture IMO but miss the integrated diversity of Tenn. Maybe less sunshine and longer winters in Cincy but the people are equally friendly. I'm very impressed with the friendliness of people in the service industry as well. In general people are a little more reserved than Tenn people but that's about it.

Cost of living for this historic city that offers anything a Chicago or Atlanta has is what drew me to it. If you are into craft beer like I am, Cincy is a good city to be. Portland is #1 in that respect of course but Cincy is #1 for brewing history and the craft beer scene is very good and is capitalizing on that.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:47 AM

108 posts, read 119,598 times
All good things to hear TN Teacher. I sold real estate in Roseburg and I saw people moving there from Montana and Wyoming to retire because they were tired of the rougher winters. Many lasted 2 winters at best and they sold up and moved back as they couldn't take not seeing the sun for months on end. Winters are milder in OR, no doubt, but people pop anti-depressants like candy to make it through the forever grey days. And Roseburg isn't even that bad, it's frankly a cake walk next to Portland. And yes there is a difference between drizzle and grey forever and ever, and a passing thunderstorm. I lived in NZ for 5 years and the longest stretch I ever saw without any rain was 2 weeks in summer. But, it was never depressing there because the heavy rain came and passed most of the time and everyone would resume gardening or any other outdoor activity.

I used to enjoy craft beer but as we get older our ability to enjoy it and stay trim don't go hand-in-hand, so I probably enjoy a good beer once a year now. I also read that Fayetteville, AR is kicking up a craft beer scene, maybe small fry next to Cincy and Portland, but it might be taking off too.

Cincinnati is starting to sound funner and funner so thank you for your positive words. BTW, we had 4 hot days last week and turned the AC on. Now it's back to typical OR weather and my heat is likely to kick on tonight since we are in the low 60's by day and high 40's by night. Having the heat on in June is not something I'll miss about OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati