U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,163 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am relocating to the Cincinnati area from Rockford Illinois this Summer. Two places I am debating about to buy a house are Mason Ohio and Union KY. Union KY is closer to work for me, only about 15 minutes away. Mason will be 40 miles away with need to cross the bridge on Ohio river. But one factor I am looking for, besides distance, is student diversity in school. I am Chinese and my daughter is a little shy. My daughter will start the 3rd grade late August. I know Mason schools have large Asian student population. Does anyone knows if Mann Elementary school in Union has a good Asian/Chinese student mix? If we live in Union, Mann Elementary school will the one she will attend.

Thank you much!
William
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:44 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ding View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am relocating to the Cincinnati area from Rockford Illinois this Summer. Two places I am debating about to buy a house are Mason Ohio and Union KY. Union KY is closer to work for me, only about 15 minutes away. Mason will be 40 miles away with need to cross the bridge on Ohio river. But one factor I am looking for, besides distance, is student diversity in school. I am Chinese and my daughter is a little shy. My daughter will start the 3rd grade late August. I know Mason schools have large Asian student population. Does anyone knows if Mann Elementary school in Union has a good Asian/Chinese student mix? If we live in Union, Mann Elementary school will the one she will attend.

Thank you much!
William

There are probably people here more qualified than I am to answer, but I'd be very surprised if you'd find many (if any) Asian families/students in the Union area. Mason is indeed known for having a lot of ethnic diversity. That said, the commute from a home in Mason to a job in northern Kentucky is going to be punishing. I wonder if you could consider looking at homes in Ft. Thomas or Ft. Mitchell (Beechwood School District), both in Kentucky. Both are smaller, highly-rated districts in which your daughter might be likely to feel comfortable even if there were not a lot of other Asian students.

I hope someone else will weigh in with ideas for you!

Old 06-08-2016, 05:12 PM

698 posts, read 1,427,770 times
Mann Elementary School- 6-7% Asian
Western Row Elementary School (Mason)- 20-25% Asian

These numbers are based on demographic trends from the past few years posted on School Digger.

Both schools are rated highly.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:55 PM

104 posts, read 74,979 times
No experience here but the commute from Mason sounds dreadful. And if you could be home more hours in the week to spend with your daughter maybe that would be better? I also understand that you may be thinking about where you could better establish a circle of friends of your same culture. Maybe there are other suburbs a little closer with good schools and a little bit greater Asian population? I have not used School Digger but you can also look at the demographics of schools on greatschools.org by first searching the suburb/city of consideration. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2016, 01:33 PM

21 posts, read 17,173 times
I think it is very likely that your daughter may be the only Asian girl in class if you move to Union (Shirley Mann had 49 Asian kids in 2014 out of over 700... I'd prefer a commute over your kiddo being racially isolated. (From someone who has a commute AND racially isolated kids...)

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2016, 02:11 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,463,316 times
Unless I worked the night shift, or could rent an apartment in KY, and live there during the week while my family lived in Mason, would I ever consider living in Mason under those circumstances. The commute would be a living hell.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:48 AM

95 posts, read 59,812 times
are you concerned with having to drive over the bridge? my father's wife couldn't attend the baby shower she wasn't invited to because she was terrified of driving over bridges

Old 06-20-2016, 11:35 AM

193 posts, read 178,467 times
Mason to NKY would be an awful commute, and it will be that much more miserable whenever there is a wreck or some other type of major delay on I-71. You're much better off taking your chances on Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or