U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 09:58 AM

10 posts, read 5,937 times

Advertisements

Hi all we are ahem "older" parents. Our daughter is going into the 2nd grade. We are running from my beloved Eastgate to get her OUT OUT OUT NOW of West Clermont Schools (private school out of the question) I want to stay close to downtown where my hubby works & mine/her friends in Eastgate. Anyone know anything about the "open concept" elementary schools in the Anderson Highschool area i.e., sherwood & ayer? anyone live in Milford & like the schools?

background........

We originally targeted Forest Hills Schools. The Turpin Highschool area to be exact to keep us close to Eastgate/downtown. There's no homes available in our price range & our house sold on the first day two weeks ago. Our price range is $400k - $450k. We cannot find a home. We don't have tons of stipulations. We currently live in a subdivision that has 40 houses & only 3 of those have children! My daughter needs to make a "family of friends" since we're late 40's (I'm actually 50 had her at 43 FINALLY whew). Our only stipulations are under $450k, nonbusy street, other kids living there!, we'd love sidewalks or culdesac, usable backyard where we can eventually put a pool in, walkout basement preferred & either a 2story entry or 2 story family room (aka a home less than 30 years old), our own mailbox not those stupid communal boxes on the street and a place (allowed to put shed in or storage in garage/basement) for my hubby to store his Christmas Vacation Sparky inspired decorations lol. That's it. Can't find it. We don't want to go over $450k. Kitchens can be remodeled, wallpaper removed, trees removed but you can't change the structure of a home, it's location or the yard.

So ..........looks like we have to expand the search to the Anderson Highschool area or Milford. Both a little farther away but definitely doable with good schools. I've read though that Ayers Elementary & Sherwood Elementary which are 2 of the 3 elementary schools are "open concept". My daughter is NOT adhd but has the attention span of a gnat. She's also terrified she's going to miss out on something & easily distracted. She would not do well in an environment that was overly busy & loud. She'd love it but her schoolwork would suffer.

Anyone have any experience with Ayer or Sherwood in Anderson? It's probably a moot point we're going to have to move to Milford. I love the Milford area it's just Anderson is closer for hubby & to our friends.

The other concern is snobby people in anderson. If I mention we're looking in Anderson I've had lots of people wrinkle their nose at me or make a comment. I grew up in a "holler" in the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky and am as down to earth as it gets. Don't get me wrong I like our Disney cruises & fare fine at my husband's company functions but I like having people wave as we pass and if I happen to wear old sweats & a tshirt to walk my dog no one is going to look down on me. I've been to a few subdivisions in Anderson where I feel that might be the case.

so......oh awesome friends Ayer /Sherwood Elementary? Anderson too snobby for this hillbilly? Should we just ditch Anderson & concentrate on the Milford area? (Mitchell Farms is nice with sidewalks big back yards & not as strict as the polo fields) THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 11:24 AM

400 posts, read 397,352 times
Is Anderson a bit snobby? Possibly parts of it are. I think there are also a whole lot of really nice people.

You might want to look in the Turpin Hills part of Anderson. It's a bit more eclectic in housing stock. Their neighborhood school is Mercer. I have several friends who chose Mercer because of the enclosed classrooms for the exact same reasons you mentioned.

5877 Crittenden Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45244 | MLS #1494200 | Zillow

Old 06-14-2016, 12:09 PM

thank you mimi that's actually our target area but we can't find anything the home on crittenden is beautiful I've been in it but it has those stupid mailboxes & the backyard isn't too terribly flat. gorgeous inside. Mercer is my TOP choice for schools. Treetops area to be exact. Houses go soooo quickly. So have you heard ayers is open concept? I've called the school , asked all my friends no one knows. I can't find anything online either grrrr THANK YOU!!!!

Old 06-14-2016, 12:22 PM

400 posts, read 397,352 times
I have a good friend who has a child who has sensory processing issues. Their home school would have been Ayer, which would have been a disaster. Forest Hills worked with them to put him at Mercer. He did have a an IEP so that could be how they ended up at Mercer. Open concept elementary schools are difficult for most children in my opinion.

I laugh at the "mailbox" comment. All of Turpin Hills have those. I have several friends who live there and they all hate them. The houses do go quickly and you're right about the yards...they didn't name it Turpin "Hills" for nothing.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:00 PM

624 posts, read 444,365 times
You should call the district and ask them about the schools. I think they just passed a big levy and the elementary schools are targets for remodel/rebuild which may mean that things are shuffled around for your kid's elementary years and what the website says matters not. Also think about and ask about how long any construction project would last. Where we live now they rebuilt the elementary school WHILE the kids attended in GE modular spaces with no playground. This went on for years. So there are some kids that spent some of their elementary experience with no playground, no hallways, no lunchroom, learning in trailers.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:11 PM

11 posts, read 7,522 times
Default Anderson township is no good for older parents or transplants!

I highly discourage Anderson. Very unwelcoming people.
We are Cincinnati newbies and we made a huge mistake
Moving to Anderson. Also older parents (44/53 with a 1st grader.)
We have found that when people find out we are not from
Here it is horrifying to them. The house prices are incredibly high
In some areas (puzzling to me found better house prices when
We lived in California). The parents seem to largely have attended
The same school their kids are now attending and are BFFs
With the teachers that they went to school with. Better
Off in Milford-much more house for your money and
Waaaay easier to transition in. I wish I had a control z option
To move to either Milford or Montgomery and never
Set foot in Anderson. Open school concept I dislike but my 6 year old
Doesn't seem to mind and has done well.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
You should call the district and ask them about the schools. I think they just passed a big levy and the elementary schools are targets for remodel/rebuild which may mean that things are shuffled around for your kid's elementary years and what the website says matters not. Also think about and ask about how long any construction project would last. Where we live now they rebuilt the elementary school WHILE the kids attended in GE modular spaces with no playground. This went on for years. So there are some kids that spent some of their elementary experience with no playground, no hallways, no lunchroom, learning in trailers.
I spoke to the assistant principal. I was told they're remodeling, adding some walls but it is very much still an "open concept" school. (& will continue to be so) definitely out for my kid. She's terrified something will happen & she'll "miss out". lol.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanaBelieve View Post
I highly discourage Anderson. Very unwelcoming people.
We are Cincinnati newbies and we made a huge mistake
Moving to Anderson. Also older parents (44/53 with a 1st grader.)
We have found that when people find out we are not from
Here it is horrifying to them. The house prices are incredibly high
In some areas (puzzling to me found better house prices when
We lived in California). The parents seem to largely have attended
The same school their kids are now attending and are BFFs
With the teachers that they went to school with. Better
Off in Milford-much more house for your money and
Waaaay easier to transition in. I wish I had a control z option
To move to either Milford or Montgomery and never
Set foot in Anderson. Open school concept I dislike but my 6 year old
Doesn't seem to mind and has done well.

ahhh IvanaB I just read one of your other posts & sent you a private message then saw you responded to mine lol. We are probably going to go to Milford. (loveland if we can't find a home in Milford) It just seems like a better fit for me and my daughter & close enough for hubby to get downtown for work. I gave you my email addy......good luck to you too!

Old 06-16-2016, 12:20 AM

104 posts, read 74,890 times
cstergio and Ivana, I can top you both in age for being a first time mother! Woohoo, used to be the youngest gal on the softball team and now I'm clearly the oldest gal everywhere I go! I'm so friggin' old I'm actually embarrassed to say it on here! cstergio, my twins are almost 20 mos and I will be relocating to the Cincy area by fall as a single mother. I have researched four states and peeked at others and Ohio (Cincinnati Metro) comes out on top for amenities, schools, medical care, and COL. Thank you also for mentioning that Anderson schools have an "open concept" because how would one know? My twin daughter has hearing loss in one ear (wears an aid) but a large, noisy "open" room would probably be the worst thing for her. Both my twins actually suffered an extremely traumatic birth with an extended period of O2 loss so what the future holds for them academically is a mystery at this point. They may both have IEP's in their future for all I know. Thank you both for bringing to light the "real deal" with Anderson, school-wise and from an outsider's perspective. Although it may be a pretty area in the Cincy Metro, perhaps I will focus on Mason where the reputation is more welcoming to newbies.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:54 AM

104 posts, read 74,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Hi Salamander, do you know which districts may be affected by the levy for remodeling/rebuilding of elementary schools? Sad to think of kids just settling in to school and missing out on these basics. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or