U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 01:33 PM

8 posts, read 8,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
I am so glad you are getting positive feedback. I quit posting here for a while because many posters on this forum are "City = bad; suburbs = good", and I found it quite frustrating and closed-minded. I am a "city mouse". I love the city!! Before moving in October, I lived on Park Avenue for @ 8 years. Loved it there, and I love where I live now. I don't drive, by choice, and everything is conveniently located.
Yes, this! We both grew up in the suburbs, and at a time where people didn't go to OTR for any reason. Both of our families have a mostly negative view of the city, and are extremely skeptical whenever we mention, "Oh yeah, we're looking at some houses in ______." Almost immediately we're met with, "Oh, don't look there!! So and so has a friend who used to live in that neighborhood 10 years ago and said it was a terrible area." Thus the reason why I wanted to start a new forum (and do my own research) on what Westwood was like now, in 2016. Not back in 2008, or 2011. Eight years can make a huge difference, good or bad, in a neighborhood. I wanted to hear thoughts from people who actually live in the area currently or know someone who does. I, too, find the whole "city=bad; suburbs=good" mindset incredibly frustrating and closed-minded, and it makes me really sad for the people who believe that without never living in the city. I don't know, for me it just reiterates the whole, "people hear what they want to hear, see what they want to see, believe what they want to believe."

Thanks again for your insightful comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 04:20 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,635,095 times
I wouldnt choose to live there only because it is a super busy area but if thats ok with you, then go ahead!

Old 06-17-2016, 04:20 PM

624 posts, read 444,365 times
Why bother with westwood when you can live in covington? Tons of cool houses, stuff to walk to, closer to work and closer to OTR.

There are even cool pockets of Newport but I would do Covington in a hearbeat before Montana Ave.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Okay, back for a little update/another question: there was a shooting about a 5 minute drive from the house we're looking at. The shooting was at an apartment complex (Ferncrest, I believe), but obviously it has me feeling super anxious. Those of you who have lived there/have friends who currently live in Westwood--what are your opinions about this? Should I be looking at the crime that happens in a different way (understanding that most happens at gas stations, apartment complexes, abandoned buildings, and typically--not always, don't misunderstand me--targeted at a specific demographic)? I need something to calm my anxious mind!

Old 07-02-2016, 12:25 PM

190 posts, read 178,122 times
I lived on the west side for several years in the '90s. It was a patchwork of good and neighborhoods/blocks back then, much like today. But there seem to be more of the bad neighborhoods and blocks today. I had a friend who lived in an apartment complex not far from where the OP is talking about. It was a fairly nice place back in the day. Now, it's a run down crime magnet.

And maybe I wasn't looking in the right parts of the west side the last time I was there, but I'm just not seeing where very many of the older parts are on the upswing. The OP's housing budget is what it is, though. When you're talking an older house for $120K, then you pretty much have to look at the west side.

Not sure where in NKY the husband's job is, but you may want to take a look at Bellevue if that's not too far from the job site. 20 years ago, pretty much no one went to Bellevue for anything. Now there are several coffee places, restaurants, and shops, and it's mostly older smaller houses.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane766 View Post
Okay, back for a little update/another question: there was a shooting about a 5 minute drive from the house we're looking at. The shooting was at an apartment complex (Ferncrest, I believe), but obviously it has me feeling super anxious. Those of you who have lived there/have friends who currently live in Westwood--what are your opinions about this? Should I be looking at the crime that happens in a different way (understanding that most happens at gas stations, apartment complexes, abandoned buildings, and typically--not always, don't misunderstand me--targeted at a specific demographic)? I need something to calm my anxious mind!

Up-thread you wrote: "I, too, find the whole "city=bad; suburbs=good" mindset incredibly frustrating and closed-minded, and it makes me really sad for the people who believe that without never living in the city. I don't know, for me it just reiterates the whole, 'people hear what they want to hear, see what they want to see, believe what they want to believe.'"

I know you asked specifically for opinions from people who live in the area, but this forum doesn't get enough traffic that you're likely to get many comments, if any. So in a general sense: If you're going to live in a more urban area, there are going to be incidents like this all over the place, all the time. There are things you can do to minimize your exposure. For example, I live in a pocket neighborhood which as the crow flies is dangerously near what was recently highlighted as one of the most crime-ridden streets in the Cincinnati area. Because of topography, dead-end streets, etc., my nearly crime-free, middle class neighborhood where people know and look out for each other might as well be miles away. That said, I would be SOMEWHAT more concerned about crime if I lived right on the heavily traveled artery the crime-area street runs off of. I wouldn't be thrilled about the gun-packing thugs moving past my house all the time, although I'd realize that running afoul of them personally was fairly unlikely. That's kind of what I meant when I said the area was sketchy.

All in all, I'd again advise that if you like that general area, look for a house back on one of the more quiet streets.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:51 PM

189 posts, read 600,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane766 View Post
A five minute drive is quite a long way in an urban area. If you lived at Park & McMillan, you were just blocks away from gang activity. Closer than a five minute drive.

My two cents ~~ For the most part, shootings are targeted, i.e. drug related. If you are not a buyer or seller of drugs, you are not the target. Sellers of drugs have no use in messing with the likes of people like you. They make tons of money. The buyers may want to steal from someone to pay for drugs, but they usually steal from someone they know, because they are stupid and scared. If you have a security system, and a druggie trips it off, they will run like hell.

Westwood is a very large and diverse neighborhood. As I said before, some parts are very bad. But, the area you are looking at is not the rundown part of Westwood.

I will say, (tongue in cheek ~ sarcasm-present) if you are having these reservations, maybe you should be looking into suburbia, where your neighbor is secretly making meth in his basement.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:14 PM

16 posts, read 10,547 times
I hate to be a kill joy here but I grew up in Westwood unfortunately and the best advice I can give is you better take a long hard look at the neighborhood before you do buy there. There isn't a week that goes by its not on the news. It was bad when I was a kid and its worse now. In addition I'm no fan of Cincinnati police as the city caters to the criminal elements. If you ever want to resell the house you will not get what you paid for it. Take your money and look elsewhere. Its your money and you work hard for it don't throw it away.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:45 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Every single street in Cincinnati it's a five-minute drive from a shooting location. It's the nature of the city.

If this worries you so, may I suggest a suburban neighborhood of McMansions?

Old 07-05-2016, 02:48 AM

I guess I should have prefaced that I was mainly rattled because a well-meaning family member heard it on the news and asked if we'd heard of the shooting (we had not). It's funny, because prior to their asking, I really had been comforted by a lot of what people had said on here that were more familiar with the area than I am. Mainly, I stay away from the local news, as it just exacerbates my anxiety and gives me too much to think about when I'm up at 4:30am but lots of (again, well- meaning) family members are glued to their televisions day and night, receive crime updates on their phones, etc. Personally, I don't have the time nor desire to stay consistently updated with such depressing news, but when they insist on informing me of what they've heard, I suppose it's only natural to be nervous.

From what I've gathered from lots of posters on here is that the area we're looking at is the nicer part of Westwood as it's 1) not in East Westwood and 2) is right outside of Cheviot city limits. So that makes me feel better. And again, knowing our lifestyle and how cautious we are on a daily basis, I know that we most likely have nothing to worry about.

Basically, I just want to live in this lovely house we've found and not worry about a home invasion or being shot, if I'm being perfectly and completely honest here.

We've lived out of the city for a year and a half now (and all of our family and friends are suburb dwelling folk), so I think it's just going to take some adjusting again, naturally.

On a lighter note, I'm super pleased that everyone who has commented, even those who have suggested staying out of Westwood, have been so tactful. Is that silly to say? Haha! I read forums a lot but rarely post, so I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened up this conversation, but I love checking in here to read new comments from people who seem to be genuinely thoughtful and considerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or