U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2016, 02:19 PM
 
89 posts, read 82,511 times
Reputation: 129

Advertisements

Just bought a house in Westwood about a block from where the house you are looking at is located. We have had zero problems. The neighborhood is going to be turning in the next 3-5 years, particularly the area around the town hall. Houses are being renovated and resold. New businesses are opening in the business district, a coffee shop, bulk food store, among others. Right down the street is Dater Montessori which has been rated as one of the top elementary schools in CPS. Check out the community group Westwood Works. My kids and I walk to the Y and the library. I also walk to the post office. Just like any other urban neighborhood, there are bad elements. If you would like to discuss further please pm me. There are lots of people here that are invested in making this an even greater place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2016, 04:17 PM
 
1 posts, read 746 times
Reputation: 15
Westwood is undergoing a revitalization and as a resident of 12+ years who is very involved I think you will love it here. Lots of house for your money, great school, church and park options, the Y is WONDERFUL, and it's an area booming with families and lots of exciting things on the horizon like the new Madcap Theatre, a brewery, coffee shop, boutique grocery and most importantly, a 4 million dollar renovation to Town Hall park which will become the gem of the neighborhood just like Washington Park is to OTR. Join us! Also check out Westwood Works on Facebook to see all the fun things happening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 10:35 AM
 
8 posts, read 5,406 times
Reputation: 15
I realize this thread is a few months old, but we are thinking about renting in Westwood. The house is on Shaffer across from Westwood Common. Its further east than the area the OP was asking about.

My question is whether it's TOO far east? Is this part still ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2016, 12:57 PM
 
89 posts, read 82,511 times
Reputation: 129
Have you been to view the house? I have friends that live around St Catherine in that same area (Fischer, Shaffer, etc) and it seems like an okay area. There is a new playground just built at Ryan Park. I'm not 100% familiar with that street. Look at the neighboring houses, visit at different times of the day and on a weekend day, basically what someone would do when checking out any neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2016, 05:10 AM
 
2,886 posts, read 3,951,520 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlymarie30 View Post
Have you been to view the house? I have friends that live around St Catherine in that same area (Fischer, Shaffer, etc) and it seems like an okay area. There is a new playground just built at Ryan Park. I'm not 100% familiar with that street. Look at the neighboring houses, visit at different times of the day and on a weekend day, basically what someone would do when checking out any neighborhood.
I seem to recall hearing some less than encouraging things about crime in the area of St. Catharine's. The advice to visit the street at all times of the day, night and week is good, but I think I would also check the crime stats. Granted, most of the kind of crime that may occur is probably drug related and among people known to each other, but still seems like something you'd want to avoid if you could. In that area like many others in Cincinnati, crime reports could be almost street by street, too. I know it always LOOKS like a decent, quiet area when I'm around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2016, 09:11 AM
 
8 posts, read 5,406 times
Reputation: 15
Thank you both for the info. We had to make a decision quickly and have already decided to pass on the house. We drove around, talked to neighbors, and did online research. At the end of the day I was just seeing too many gun related incidents (armed breakins right down the street, at the park behind the house, etc) for my comfort. Having young kids has made me more skittish about that sort of thing.

Continuing the search...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:00 PM
 
1 posts, read 172 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utter_Mayhem View Post
Westwood is undergoing a revitalization and as a resident of 12+ years who is very involved I think you will love it here. Lots of house for your money, great school, church and park options, the Y is WONDERFUL, and it's an area booming with families and lots of exciting things on the horizon like the new Madcap Theatre, a brewery, coffee shop, boutique grocery and most importantly, a 4 million dollar renovation to Town Hall park which will become the gem of the neighborhood just like Washington Park is to OTR. Join us! Also check out Westwood Works on Facebook to see all the fun things happening!

We are an older couple who grew up in Westwood during the 1950's. Have been away all these years.
Would very much like to find out more about the revitalization. We're not terribly computer savvy, don't have facebook etc., but would like more information. Could you put us in contact with someone at Westwood Works ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati (P Ridge)
573 posts, read 440,094 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randiwine View Post
We are an older couple who grew up in Westwood during the 1950's. Have been away all these years.
Would very much like to find out more about the revitalization. We're not terribly computer savvy, don't have facebook etc., but would like more information. Could you put us in contact with someone at Westwood Works ?
Recent article on the redevelopment of Westwood Town Hall: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...re/1260181002/

Westwood Works Leader: Leslie Rich leslie.m.rich@gmail.com 513 227 9160
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 03:21 PM
 
7,649 posts, read 5,407,484 times
Reputation: 14362
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane766 View Post
My mom raised my sisters and brother in the area in the 80s, and frequented the Y. I took a drive around the area today and didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable, though we will be taking a drive at night to scope things out at that time. !
Westwood has taken a dramatic turn since the 80s, and not in a good way.

Having worked in the area, I would never live there.

Schools are rough. Neighborhood is changing,

Look elsewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top