Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,462 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in Woodbridge, NJ. a large suburb (100k population) about 15 minutes from Rutgers main campus in New Brunswick. I love to visit New York City, and am aware from my visit to Cincy that it's very different in every way. As someone moving into the area onto the campus of Xavier, what should I know about the surrounding area?

P.S. Has anyone ever mentioned how odd it is that you guys have a town, Norwood, inside the city, but its own separate entity? I've never heard of anything like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 05:32 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazey4wwe View Post
Currently I live in Woodbridge, NJ. a large suburb (100k population) about 15 minutes from Rutgers main campus in New Brunswick. I love to visit New York City, and am aware from my visit to Cincy that it's very different in every way. As someone moving into the area onto the campus of Xavier, what should I know about the surrounding area?

P.S. Has anyone ever mentioned how odd it is that you guys have a town, Norwood, inside the city, but its own separate entity? I've never heard of anything like that!
I'm very ill-qualified to answer your question, but mostly I wanted to say welcome and that I hope your time in Cincinnati is productive and enjoyable. From the perspective of a Cincinnati native who is nonetheless unfamiliar with Xavier's specific culture, I think a heads-up may be in order that you'll encounter a number of students who are from the area and went through the Catholic school system together. Across the board in Cincinnati age and income-wise, those relationships can definitely lead to a newcomer being made to feel like an outsider. Not saying this will be a problem, just something you might be aware of if it happens.

The Xavier campus is surrounded by some pretty rough neighborhoods. Use the urban caution/survival techniques you probably already know.

Finally, YES! It's very weird that Norwood is a city completely surrounded by another city. I'm not sure there's even another instance anywhere in the country, but don't quote me.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:56 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
Xavier is under a building boom. They've torn down a ton crappy old buildings. Added tons of new businesses and restaurants with all the new construction being built along the corner of Dana and Montgomery. Most students who live off campus live in Norwood.

I disagree with X being surrounded by rough neighborhoods, but to the South of 71 is Evanston and the SW is Avondale, but not sure why any X student would be walking there. Those are both not nice. Directly to the west is North Avondale which a nice part of town. North and East is Norwood. Plus you're a 5 minute drive to Hyde Park and Oakley, some of the best city neighborhoods.

Anyways...welcome and try not drink too much at Dana Gardens during your time here!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
First of all, welcome to Cincinnati. I'm glad that, early on, you realize that it's not the East Coast. Instead,begin by seeing Cincinnati for what it actually is - one of the most beautiful and cultured cities of the Midwest. Now, on to XU and its immediate environs.

Although XU can be lauded for numerous reasons (especially for the remarkable physical transformation of its campus over such a short time period), the university is surrounded by bland and blighted neighborhoods. Nothing much to see and do, until you travel to/through Norwood or to UC/downtown.

However, at this point, it's necessary to know more about your own living and transportation arrangements. Will you be living on or off campus (and, if so, where) and will you be driving your own car or relying upon public transportation (or both)?

Last edited by motorman; 06-27-2016 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-27-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
...Finally, YES! It's very weird that Norwood is a city completely surrounded by another city. I'm not sure there's even another instance anywhere in the country, but don't quote me.
Yes, Norwood being completely surrounded by Cincinnati is strange. I really wish it would be incorporated into the larger city, however, we know that's never going to happen. The only other parallel I can think of is that of a sovereign state being completely surrounded by a city, then a country - ie: Vatican City-Rome-Italy.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:24 AM

95 posts, read 102,505 times
from a rival alumnus, welcome to cincinnati! just unexciting enough to be a great place to live. there won't be much to distract you from meeting and cultivating life long relationships. not to say the city isn't interesting. far from it. you just won't be overwhelmed by all of the incredible happenings around you. it's tough in any city to meet new people, but at least you're in college. i think a lot of people take it for granted or can only see beauty if someone says it is, but the landscape is quite remarkable. just a series of hills and valleys and plateaus (could be wrong on that one) and beautiful rivers.

i take the bus daily, but live in northside. haven't taken it to xavier. i can only imagine service is frequent. they have nice bus stops around campus. i'm a big fan of cincy's bus system.

you're close to uptown. northside isn't that much further away. pleasant ridge is close and so is walnut hills. norwood is nice. those are the cool neighborhoods for day and nightlife. stones lanes is a great bowling alley. make friends with juniors and seniors and have them buy you some listermanns, which is a brewery/ home brew supply store.

have fun

edit: i happen to love the fact that norwood is a sovereign. nice quirk. it's still cincinnati

edit: on a side note, norwooders for secession, would be a sweet shirt

Old 06-27-2016, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
First of all, welcome to Cincinnati. I'm glad that, early on, you realize that it's not the East Coast. Instead,begin by seeing Cincinnati for what it actually is - one of the most beautiful and cultured cities of the Midwest. Now, on to XU and its immediate environs.

Although XU can be lauded for numerous reasons (especially for the remarkable physical transformation of its campus over such a short time period), the university is surrounded by bland and blighted neighborhoods. Nothing much to see and do, until you travel to/through Norwood or to UC/downtown.

However, at this point, it's necessary to know more about your own living and transportation arrangements. Will you be living on or off campus (and, if so, where) and will you be driving your own car or relying upon public transportation (or both)?
I will be living on campus, and am bringing my car, as i understand public transport isn't the greatest in the area.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:47 PM

17 posts, read 19,997 times
Quote:
I will be living on campus, and am bringing my car, as i understand public transport isn't the greatest in the area.
Public transit from XU to Uptown or Downtown (the areas you'll probably need to visit the most) is pretty decent. IF you have a car you can get everything else you need with a trip to the store once a week.

Over-the-Rhine is really cool and we have a great arts scene for a city of this size. lots of fun, free stuff to do at our parks, especially in the summer

Old 06-28-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasbw View Post
Public transit from XU to Uptown or Downtown (the areas you'll probably need to visit the most) is pretty decent. IF you have a car you can get everything else you need with a trip to the store once a week...
Adding to this, just a few more observations regarding local public transportation...

First of all, let's reiterate what's already well known (ie, that, in public transportation, Cincy is not the BosWash corridor) and eliminate this stumbling block from becoming a platform for Cincy bashers to take potshots at the city and derail the thread.

Instead, let's focus on what Cincinnati does have in public transportation that may interest the OP, vis-a-vis XU. Much can be gleaned by linking with METRO's web site (Cincinnati Metro - Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority - Home) and downloading bus schedules for routes #51 & Metro Plus, both of which pass XU's front door @ Dana & Woodburn:

(a)#51. Cross town bus. Runs weekdays, weekends, and holidays. Connects XU, on one end, with Oakley/Hyde Park/Norwood; and, on the other end, with the Hospital District/UC/Clifton-Ludlow corridor/Northside (and beyond).

(b)Metro*Plus. Limited stop express bus. Runs weekdays only. Connects XU on one end, with Kenwood Town Center/Pleasant Ridge/Norwood; and, on the other end, with the Hospital District/Corryville/UC/OTR/CBD.

There are also two other bus routes (the downtown #4 & cross town #31) that could prove useful because of their close, Montgomery Rd. proximity to the new XU student housing clustered up and around Cleneay Ave.

Last edited by motorman; 06-28-2016 at 07:32 AM..

Old 06-28-2016, 01:52 PM

549 posts, read 848,741 times
Downloading bus schedules!?! Just get the "Transit App." It tells you where the bus is in real time, gives you directions to anywhere you want, lets you set alarms so you don't miss your bus, etc.

Cincinnati Metro works very well when you're in the city limits. Outside the city is a different story. This is because Metro is funded entirely by the City. You'll be just fine with transit in Norwood. Get a stored value card (which works like a gift card for transit) that allows you to never have to carry change. Also look out for the mobile payment app that Metro should be rolling out in about two months, just in time for the streetcar opening.

Also, regarding Norwood being surrounded by the city, there are actually three different cities within the borders of Cincinnati. Norwood, St. Bernard, and Elmwood Place. Cincy's not the only place with enclaves though. Detroit has Hamtramck and Michigan City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati