U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 AM

10,304 posts, read 5,616,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
Here are some oldies, but goodies, to help keep the thread alive:

Henry's: 15-cent hamburger stands. There was a location
at Winton and Galbraith and another in Oakley. Active in the
early 1960's, before McDonald's became ubiquitous. Briefly
operated under the name Barney's, before shutting down
completely.

Billy's Fish Fry: storefront restaurant on Ludlow, near
Central Parkway. Heydays were probably back in the 50's -
it already seemed dated in the late 60's. Remained open
until maybe 10-15 years ago.

Macklenburg's: a Clifton beer hall in the post-war era. Reopened
with fine dining in the late 70's, operated by a co-op in Kentucky,
I believe. May still survive in some other incarnation.
There was a Scotty's on Glenway at Muddy Creek, and then another at Vine and Galbraith. Had A-Frame buildings. The one in Western Hills I think changed to a Sandy's in the late 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:20 AM

8 posts, read 28,170 times
Anyone remember Chester's Roadhouse in Montgomery (my old neighborhood)? Also, how about Charlie's Crab: are they still in operation? I remember the Crab's predecessor was a place called 'The Fox & Crow'; burnt down in a fire sometime around 1970(?) or so. The other big eats spot around there was the King's Ribs -a spot frequented by Reds and Bengals players.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 PM

526 posts, read 899,884 times
s

Last edited by The Don; 09-24-2008 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: duplicat

Old 09-24-2008, 01:17 PM

526 posts, read 899,884 times
I do remember Jerry's on Glenway -- I think they closed in the early 80's.
-- What about Sandy's down by Our Lady of Lourdes? It was known better for a place to hang out than their food - but their food was ok.

Also, what was the little restaurant on Westbourne, just down from Western Bowl? It is now some sort of family cooking restaurant and had been a Pizza Hut. What was it before then?

I too remember the Temple Deli across from Shillito's. Seems that twice a year my family would have "family day at the dentist". The dentist was at the Garfield Medical BLDG on 8th street; my mom would park a Shillito's Garage. We would stop off at Temple's on the way to get the car.

A few years ago, I ate at a Temple's Deli on, I want to say 9th street, by the convention center -- not sure if it's still there

Also as an adjunct to this, I was describing to my 28 year old daughter how certain restaurants would have car hops -- the White Castle on Boudinot and Harrison for example -- hard to believe that you could by two hamburgers for 26 cents, and have someone deliver it to your car!

Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 PM

257 posts, read 863,665 times
Default Henry's / Fizzies

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I remember Henry's, and its smiling burger-with-lettuce-on-seeded-bun sign, but never stopped in. The location I recall was on Winton, but farther north (beyond Brentwood Bowl, on the same - east - side of the street.) Ironically, the McDonald's which has stood for over thirty years was built where Henry's had been.
No - Henry's was definitely on the NW corner of Winton and Galbraith. I
don't recall what preceded the McDonald's by the bowling alley, but it
was not Henry's. There was very little retail development north of the
lanes until about 1970.

Glad both you and Blockhead remember the smiling hamburger. As a
child, I could not make out precisely what that face was supposed to have
been - it was a perfect circle and reminded me of one of those root beer
Fizzies tablets! Anyone still remember Fizzies?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:59 PM

133 posts, read 397,788 times
Loved the Fizzies. But loved Barq's root beer more.

Here are a few more restaurants to keep the thread alive. (They may still be there...I haven't lived in Cincy for almost 40 years)

Zino's Firehouse in Clifton...My teenage hangout

Meier's wine cellar. Where my older brother and sister took the underage blockhead to teach him the secrets of life.

Lenhardt's on Reading Road in Roselawn. I imagine the Clifton site is still in operation...If so, do they still serve Italian Schnitzel...One bite of its crispy cheeziness....I still dream of it.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 PM

6,522 posts, read 6,422,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach02116 View Post
Anyone remember Chester's Roadhouse in Montgomery (my old neighborhood)? Also, how about Charlie's Crab: are they still in operation? I remember the Crab's predecessor was a place called 'The Fox & Crow'; burnt down in a fire sometime around 1970(?) or so. The other big eats spot around there was the King's Ribs -a spot frequented by Reds and Bengals players.
Yes, I remember all of these places and live in Montgomery now. Sadly, Chester's Roadhouse was torn down to make way for yet another car dealership. What a shame! Charlie's Crab is now Carlos and Johnny's which is pricey, but nice. Montgomery Inn is still in the exact same spot, but it has been remodeled and enlarged and is quite swanky compared to how it used to be. They've also opened one on the river and call it the Boathouse. The food is the same great food as it was back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead View Post
Loved the Fizzies. But loved Barq's root beer more.

Here are a few more restaurants to keep the thread alive. (They may still be there...I haven't lived in Cincy for almost 40 years)

Zino's Firehouse in Clifton...My teenage hangout I loved Zino's and spent my college years there. Do you remember the zinovers and pie they used to serve?

Meier's wine cellar. Where my older brother and sister took the underage blockhead to teach him the secrets of life. Meier's is still there and they still have wine tastings.

Lenhardt's on Reading Road in Roselawn. I imagine the Clifton site is still in operation...If so, do they still serve Italian Schnitzel...One bite of its crispy cheeziness....I still dream of it.
Yes, I used to go to the Clifton location when I was in college. I haven't been there in decades. Thanks for the memories.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 18,181 times
Anyone old enough to remember:
Parkmore - Corner Galbraith & Daily?
Henry's Hamburgers - Corner Galbraith & Winton
Daily Donuts - same corner ( I made donuts there when I was 14)
The Maisonette - Yum
Whatever happened to Castle Farms?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 18,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
Here are some oldies, but goodies, to help keep the thread alive:

Henry's: 15-cent hamburger stands. There was a location
at Winton and Galbraith and another in Oakley. Active in the
early 1960's, before McDonald's became ubiquitous. Briefly
operated under the name Barney's, before shutting down
completely.

Billy's Fish Fry: storefront restaurant on Ludlow, near
Central Parkway. Heydays were probably back in the 50's -
it already seemed dated in the late 60's. Remained open
until maybe 10-15 years ago.

Macklenburg's: a Clifton beer hall in the post-war era. Reopened
with fine dining in the late 70's, operated by a co-op in Kentucky,
I believe. May still survive in some other incarnation.
Ahh, Macklenburg's - Steak Tartar and beer!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 PM

3,913 posts, read 6,033,203 times
I stand by my earlier statement about Henry's location on Winton Rd between Fleming and Compton. Galbraith's far enough south of there that there could well have been two. Maybe somebody who grew up in Greenhills can back me up on this. Not that I'm losing sleep over it!

Zino's has been closed for some time, as have In Cahoots and quite a few other former Corryville hangouts. Street crime's gone up enough (in perception if not in reality) that a lot of UC students bypass Short Vine and go to Newport or Mt Adams in search of good times when they're bored with Clifton. On some nights you could lie down in the middle of the street in front of Bogart's, dressed all in black, and stand no risk of being hit by a car.

Any Lenhardt's on Reading Rd has been gone for a looooong time. But their big brick house on West McMillan is still very much alive. A consequence of "adapting to the times," though, is that part of it has been renamed "Kristy's" and marketed to the fake-ID crowd as a German-themed bar. The Goyguy Sr's don't go any more because of this, and are all the more eager for Grammer's to make its comeback.

There was never any restaurant or other business in an A-framed building at Vine and Galbraith, at least from the early '60s on. The Hartwell School has "owned" the northeast corner for almost a century, the southeast corner was taken by Sweeney car dealerships and then - in recent times - by Walgreen's, the southwest corner has been the Hartwell Rec Center going way back, and the fourth corner has been a grassy triangle between Galbraith and Vine and Pfau for as long as I can remember. Famous Recipe Fried Chicken, now prefaced by "Lee's," is in its second phase of existence at the Pfau/Vine corner. So maybe the reference was to an eatery which might've been there before the '70s, but I rolled through that territory thousands of times during my early years and have zero recall of anything like that.

"Eat in your car!" That was a selling point for Frisch's, too, once upon a time. At their Tri-County and Hartwell locations - and presumably at all the others too - you used to be able to pull into a parking space and peruse a pole-mounted menu with a built-in communication system. When meal decisions had been made, all that needed to be done was to press a red button to activate the speaker. A server would then bring out the food and take your money. It was obviously a precursor to the drive-through windows "all" fast-food places have today; society is now all about being too time-crunched to stay in one spot to do anything!

Here's a new subtheme: Who remembers York Steakhouses and the Forum Cafeteria? Those were mall fixtures from the '50s to the '70s, at least at Tri-County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati