Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,056,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
They seemed to compete with Frisch's and Carter's in the Cincinnati
short-order niche, so curb service sounds right. Anyone know
whether the chain was strictly local?
My mother had five children under seven years of age so ... curb service was a must for years - Frisch's, Sixty Second Shop, Gold Point, White Castle, A&W, etc.

At her funeral twelve years ago, one of her friends was talking about a "drive in" bar somewhere in N. Kentucky that they hit in their younger days.

Carter's was one of the original franchisees of Colonel Sanders. That chain had an EXCLUSIVE right to the famous recipe in Cincinnati. That was an "eat in" restaurant that competed with the Hitching Post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 PM

69 posts, read 267,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
I am pretty sure you are correct about this, but I could be wrong.

Didn't Johnny Bench have a restaurant? "Home Plate" would have been a better name for a restaurant that Johnny Bench owned.

Actually, that sounds more right to me.
You could be right about that. It does sound more right, now that you mention it. I wish I could rmember Pete Rose's place name. I don't think it lasted very long and remember eating there once. I wasn't really impressed.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 PM

69 posts, read 267,739 times
How about Lang's Cafeteria in downtown Covington? I remember going there with my grandparents on Sunday after church when I was about 4-5 yrs. old.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:07 AM

4,881 posts, read 13,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
I am pretty sure you are correct about this, but I could be wrong.

Didn't Johnny Bench have a restaurant? "Home Plate" would have been a better name for a restaurant that Johnny Bench owned.

Actually, that sounds more right to me.
Yes - there was a Johnny Bench's Home Plate on Colerain Ave right at the southern entrance to Northgate Mall. I think it was gone before the '70s were.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 9,955 times
Default About Daily Donuts

I am the former VP of Operations of Daily Donuts. My Dad started it back in 1961. It is true that the original name was Daisy Donuts, but we had to change it because someone already had that name. We were not bought out by Dunkin Donuts. I'd be glad to answer any questions regarding Daily Donuts as I am probably the single most knowledgeable source to ask.

On the Virginia Reel recipe, I doubt that anyone has that recipe since it was a closely guarded secret. We even had it mixed special for us at the flour mills. Employees would just open the bag of mix; weigh the desired amount; add water and fresh eggs; and mix. There was an unusual ingredient in it that gave it that unusual flavor and texture. Additionally, the batter was very tempermental, so we had to rush the batch through the fryer before it lost its ability to puff as it hit the hot shortening. By the way, eclairs are made from the same type of batter.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:32 PM

310 posts, read 1,739,955 times
Default Ultimate donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larze View Post
I am the former VP of Operations of Daily Donuts. My Dad started it back in 1961. It is true that the original name was Daisy Donuts, but we had to change it because someone already had that name. We were not bought out by Dunkin Donuts. I'd be glad to answer any questions regarding Daily Donuts as I am probably the single most knowledgeable source to ask.
Wow - this is golden. Here are a few questions:

What is the chain's origin? Where was the first store?

You kept the daisy logo even after dropping the Daisy Donuts name.
Recall what year that was? - 1963?

How many stores did you have at your peak?

It seems like the chain shut down around 1980 - is that right? What led
to your closing all the stores? Did any of the local papers mark the
chain's passing?

Have you found any doughnut shops that approach yours in quality?
(I haven't, although there was a bakery in Chicago that made a decent
cruller.)

Do the recipes still exist? Are they for sale?

Is there any relation to the "Daily Donuts" in the San Francisco Bay area?

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 PM

13 posts, read 82,509 times
Default Bernhardts Bakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burke View Post
As a child I remember my grandmother taking me in Temple's for lunch quite often. I remember that on the left as you entered was the checkout counter and you could but kosher corned beef by the pound. The owner (maybe?) sat there and the beef was on the counter under hot lamps. My mom worked across the street in Shillito's and I remember that they had a candy shop and the candy was made on site. This was in the early sixties. There was a bakery on Race St. on the opposite side of the street from Shillito's as you went toward Newberry's 10 cent store. I also remember a Kroger's being there (it had two floors) in the mid to late sixties. The fellow who sold newspapers in front of Shillito's was named Morris and papers were 7 cents. Anyone who remembers any of this please respond. I live in Knoxville, Tennessee now,but remember those days with great affection. Jim
Bernhardts Bakery and don't forget the Top Value Stamp Store, also the pretzel guy at Shillito's Place

Old 12-04-2008, 04:23 PM

13 posts, read 82,509 times
Default Tads Steakhouse

I was in San Francisco last month and saw Tads with their sign with locations in Cincinnati, Detroit, Philadelphia. Tads, located on Fourth Street, has been gone for 40 years. They had the best strip steak, baked potato and garlic roll for $1.29 back in 1965.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM

29 posts, read 134,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiana View Post
Yep. It was on East Epworth alright. I lived there in 1964-1965. My step family lived there for awhile before me and also later (I went to live with my mom in the summer of 65.) We lived on Epworth about a block from Winton rd. on the corner of Epworth and Burr Oak. The Greeks (still can't remember their real name). I remember you had to walk up a couple of steps to get in, and everything seemed to be black marble?
DID I know you .My name was Brenda Williams

Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 PM

4,881 posts, read 13,745,647 times
Default Winton Place business name finally remembered!

After weeks upon weeks of brain-wracking I recalled what the name of the Greek-owned candy shop on East Epworth Ave was:

<drumroll...>

Christos and Dravakis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati