Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,693,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
Yes, it was in Walnut Hills. Business declined throughout the 1960's and they closed it down at some point in the '70's, I think. There was a period during which they advertised heavily on television: I can still remember the manager, Victor J. Giles, from those commercials.
I believe at least a portion is still standing, likely the newest section, being used as apartments.

The original Alms opened in 1891 at Victory Parkway and East McMillan. Originally it was known as the Alms Apartments and later became the Alms Hotel. Frederick Alms was a successful Cincinnati Businessman. Along with his cousin William Doepke they built the Alms & Doepke Departrment store in the OTR area which became one of the largest department stores in the country. By the time I was old enough to take notice of such things, OTR was already going into serious decline. I remember Alms & Doepke, but honestly don't remember ever shopping there.

My recollection of the Alms hotel goes back to the early 1960s. We had some customers who came to Cincinnati and noted the Alms was convenient to our location in Norwood. They would book it on their own and then complain to us that it was a rundown operation. If they came to us directly we would book them at the Carousel Inn in Reading. In the early 60s that was a happening place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 PM

4,881 posts, read 13,742,426 times
...and, so as to keep on topic: Speaking of the Carousel Inn, its La Ronde Room (to the right of the driveway as you entered from Reading Rd) was a "happening place" for a good and moderately upscale dinner until at least the end of the '70s. Buried within this forum are more anecdotes about both the Carousel and the Alms.
It was at the La Ronde Room that I first encountered a "jacket required" policy in a restaurant. They had green blazers on hand to loan to hapless gentlemen who arrived in shirt sleeves after 6 PM. (No way would anybody walk out with a green blazer, accidentally or otherwise, after all!) Being old enough to qualify for the dress code I once had to wear one. And I also first saw the term "surf & turf" on a menu there and found out what it meant.
But I couldn't tell you what I wore or what I ate last Wednesday on a bet!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM

6,294 posts, read 10,996,614 times
Does Cincinnati still have several Five Star restaurants? At one time I think the area had more per capita than any other city save perhaps for NYC or San Francisco.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:26 AM

The count today stands at zero.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 AM

And so, today is there any relevance associated with the so-called star rating system?

Years ago, in 1958, the Mobil corporation published its first Travel Guide. They presented it as a review of services within the US and an awarding of distinguished service by a star rating system. Frankly, it was a PR venture sponsored by one of our then largest gasoline suppliers. Apparently a sufficient number of people felt their reviews were established enough in fact to give them credence. So such as a Five-Star rating for a restaurant became a coveted designation.

But I contend the current Forbes Travel Guide has become an entity in an of itself. I do not consider it as a nice PR venture undertaken by a corporation to assist its customers with decisions in their travels, but a predatory operation having undue influence over the businesses they review.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:17 AM

I also think the "star" rating system is on its way out, though people do still give weight to what the Michelin Guides say. My way to go when choosing places to eat or sleep is online. Yelp.com and Trip Advisor are my AAA/Mobil/Michelin guides.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 AM

6,294 posts, read 10,996,614 times
Perhaps now that millions of restaurant reviews can be found online, the standard set for rating restaurants many decades ago has become obsolete.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,041 times
Does anyone remember the Victoria station restaurant on Chester road inncincinnati? Also, who was the owner/manager of this restaurant?

Old 06-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kj513moore View Post
Does anyone remember the Victoria station restaurant on Chester road inncincinnati? Also, who was the owner/manager of this restaurant?
I do not remember Victoria Station specifically. Was it not the prime-rib? place which served customers in actual railroad cars? I am trying to place it relative to the Windjammer and others. I believe I went there once and was not overly impressed. Was there a Victoria Station on Madison Rd beteeen Oakley and Madisonville? If my memory is correct it died a very quick death.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,733 times
Minnie Pearls made some good chicken it was at the bottom of Robbies Ridge across the the shopping mall with Old town ice cream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati