U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 02:59 PM

21 posts, read 17,196 times

Advertisements

What is it like living in College Hill? Is it fairly safe? How are the schools? Is the community close knit?

My family is multi-racial (I am white, my spouse is black, kids are bi-racial) and multi-religious (I am Christian and my husband and our 3 kids aged 2 to ten are Muslim). We like to play together, go out to eat, go to festivals, go to parks/libraries, etc. My kids love people and we would like a neighborhood with a lot of kids running around and playing together. We are seeking a community that is very close to Children's Hospital (main campus on Burnet and College Hill campus on Hamilton), and my family's mosque in Clifton. We are seeking greater ethnic diversity than we have found in Northern Kentucky. College Hill is geographically great, seems quite diverse, and the home prices are super affordable. The rest is harder to tell from a website.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Notes: We are also looking at Pleasant Ridge and Northside (which is quickly headed out of our price range).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 04:00 AM

8 posts, read 8,998 times
Unfortunately I don't know anything about College Hill, but I wanted to say that I totally get wanting to get away from NKY and the lack of ethnic diversity. I grew up there, lived in Florence/Hebron until a few years ago. Living in Cincinnati (east walnut hills, to be more specific) for a year was definitely a much needed "Hello! There are actually people other than blue collar white people in this world!" slap in the face I feel eternally grateful for living in such a diverse place (well, diverse for me, coming from good ole Hebron, KY) and wish everyone in Northern Kentucky could experience that as well. But maybe that's just me.

Best of luck in getting opinions on here and making the right choice for your family! I've heard Pleasant Ridge is really nice (we looked there as well, but was unfortunately a bit out of our price range).

Old 07-05-2016, 06:23 AM

573 posts, read 441,511 times
I have friends who just bought a house in College Hill and they're very excited about living there. I never hear about College Hill being dangerous or anything like that. I'm not sure about how the community feel is or the school.

Pleasant Ridge has PRM which nearly every one I know who has a child going there loves it.

You'd probably be happy in both, but if you want to be closer to Clifton then I'd go with College Hill.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:32 AM

anyone else have experiences with this area?

Old 07-08-2016, 12:40 PM

95 posts, read 59,964 times
i wrote a response a few days ago, but wasn't satisfied with it. he's another stab.

i was the third shift manager at the walgreens (now save a lot) about a decade ago. you didn't bother "policing" the store. you just accomplished the tasks set forth, which mainly was making the store presentable for the morning folk. it was my first real job and leaving harrison after 15 years or so was an adjustment, culturally speaking. but i was into backpacker hip hop and wore underground clothes so i was cool with the idea of coming straight from the burbs and into a predominately black neighborhood. but there was never anything violent. i turned a blind eye to shoplifting though.

i live in northside now and have been to college hill a few times. there's little reason for me to go there. good coffee shop and wine house, otherwise not catered to my scene. and my scene should be expanded. no idea about the community vibe, but there is a farmer's market (haven't been). but you can live in college hill and get your cultural fix just a few miles down the road. college hill has gorgeous houses and with northside just down the street you can live in a nice affordable neighborhood and all the amenities you seek is at your cusp. i encourage you to give it a shot.

my wife works at the children's in college hill one day a week, but it's a bit too much for her

Old 07-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Thank ypu so much for sharing your experiences in this area:-).

Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 AM

573 posts, read 441,511 times
There are some good things happening in College Hill:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...incinnati.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati