U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:41 AM

400 posts, read 398,183 times

Advertisements

The current weather is unseasonably warm and dry but I'm not complaining either. An extra pedicure to wear sandals beats dry cleaning my sweaters.

I'm so glad you've found a great neighborhood & friendly neighbors. Congratulations on making the move & welcome to Cincinnati!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 08:15 AM

104 posts, read 75,032 times
Thanks mimi!

Old 11-19-2016, 10:48 AM

31,223 posts, read 57,365,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Haven't read the entire thread, so not sure if anyone already mentioned Madison Place. Small pocket neighborhood bordering Mariemont, from what I hear very quiet, safe, and inexpensive.
Yes, to all those things, but Madison Place - both within the city borders and in Columbia Township - are within the city school district, which some may not want to deal with unless they're sending their kids to private schools anyway.

Sunnyspring, FYI Madison Place is a small neighborhood bordered by Indian Hill on the north and east, Mariemont to the south, and on the west by Plainville Road. Most of the houses are very modest 3 or 4 bedroom, 1 bath Cape Cod or bungalow, and overall it's quiet and safe. Most if not all of the neighborhood attends Cincinnati Public Schools, although most of the parents I knew there sent their kids to private schools. There are occasional property crimes, domestic violence (both of which happen in even the toniest neighborhoods), and drug deals, but mostly it's working-class suburbia. My neighbors were secretaries, teachers, mechanics, nurses, and small business owners.

The border between the city of Cincinnati and Columbia Township snakes its way through the neighborhood -- property taxes are lower on the city side, and income taxes don't exist on the township side. Otherwise, the only differences in everyday life between the two jurisdictions are who shows up when you call 911, who you vote for in odd-year elections and local issues, and when your trash is picked up.

Technically, the parts of Madison Place within the city limits are in the city neighborhood of Madisonville, but when you're telling people how to get to your house, it's more descriptive to say Madison Place, and Madison Place is what the property description on your deed will read.

I lived there for 13 years and loved every minute of it, but I didn't have kids and didn't care that I had only one bathroom (less to clean! LOL).

ETA: -- just saw that the OP has already bought a house! Congrats!

Old 11-30-2016, 06:22 PM

124 posts, read 97,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyspring View Post
Thanks to all and their suggestions. In the end it came down to an affordable house in a good location in a market of low and dwindling inventory so I took a leap of faith and bought a house sight unseen in Mason where I am slowly settling in after arriving on 10/19. LOVE my neighborhood and neighbors, and OMG am loving this weather! I realize this may not be a normal fall but ZERO complaints from me! I loaded a truck for 4 days in the cold, almost non-stop rain and wind in Portland and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived here. I finally unpacked my kids' sandals because they were dying in socks and shoes. I never realized how much I missed the sun until I've had it here almost every day for almost 2 weeks. I try to always look back and appreciate the good in a place after leaving it but seriously, I had no idea how awful Portland's climate was until I got out of it. I realize there are some who love the cold and don't mind wearing a hoodie almost year round but not this southern gal! I need my sun! I am stoked to be here and looking forward to raising my kids in this great place. Have barely seen a thing outside of necessity stores, but Entertrainment Junction is AWESOME for any and all ages. Have eaten at Skyline Chili a couple times and find it enjoyable for fast food. (They make a mean Greek salad for under $5.) Might hit Menards in Loveland tomorrow as their flier suggests some good deals on home stuff. Just curious...who is kjbrill and why did he/she insist newcomers fill out the exhaustive questionnaire if he/she wasn't going to bother to answer it when newbies post questions? My only *****! I think we should retire that ridiculously long questionnaire. Thanks to all for the warm welcome to the area. I feel like I just came home. Seeings how the original family farm was in OH I kind of did.
Congratulations on your new home and welcome to Cincinnati. You will really enjoy the Mason area and their great school system. We have had nice weather so far (very unusual) so brace yourself for the cold. I grew up on the Oregon Coast and Eugene so rarely experienced weather much below freezing. My first experience with "freeze your face off" weather was a strange experience to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati