U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 10:17 PM

124 posts, read 97,386 times

Advertisements

This is a thread I should have started before my interview but to make a long story short, I got a call for an interview yesterday at 12:30, interviewed with them at 1:30 and then accepted the position by 5pm! I will not teach at a Great Oaks campus but will be stationed as a Great Oaks teacher at Amelia Middle School. Accepting the job made a lot of sense as I'll have 30 minutes less commute time, 10K pay increase, more interesting subject matter that I'm really excited about and I'll receive great benefits. My teacher pension was not a concern as I moved to Ohio last year.

With all of that said, what do you know about this organization? Good and bad? I've heard some good things from my neighbor who ironically works for Great Oaks at their Scarlet Campus in Sharonville (I learned that this evening) but am curious what people have to say. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 05:38 PM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Congrats on your new job!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,933,946 times
Back in the day, the burnouts and "slow" kids were tracked into Great Oaks programs. That could explain the nice package you got for signing on.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Back in the day, the burnouts and "slow" kids were tracked into Great Oaks programs. That could explain the nice package you got for signing on.
From what I've seen so far, I don't think burn-outs will be very interested. The classes are Project Lead The Way based and are basically STEM classes.

I'll be teaching 3 classes, Flight and Space, Green Architecture and Medical Detectives. Students will apply mathematics, algebra and science to understand, explore and solve real life situations in these classes.

Great Oaks Campuses does offer high school courses on career paths like construction, welding, electrician, and cosmetology. Maybe these are directed towards burn-outs or maybe they are for kids who know what they want to do.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:04 AM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Those sound like really fun classes you'll be teaching.

The earth was still cooling when Goyguy and I were in high school. We called kids who went to the vocational school "techrats". Things have changed.

And heaven knows there were burnouts in the college-bound set at my school as well. They're all running chemical or pharmaceutical companies now. Hmmm ...

Quote:
or maybe they are for kids who know what they want to do.
Good point - I have a friend who teaches welding at a vocational school, and for the most part the kids are focused on learning their trade and getting a job. The math and science requirements are a lot more stringent than they used to be, too.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:39 AM

63 posts, read 46,306 times
I taught at Live Oaks (mathematics) for three years. GO is an awesome program and I love what they offer the students as far as actual useful skills. Pay was very good and at the time the schools were not union, which I like.
Students were definitely not the academically motivated kids that I work better with, so I left to go to a more traditional school (as I was not a vocational teacher but a regular subject matter teacher). I wholeheartedly believe in what they are doing at GO however, those kids can leave high school with a real job.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL1115 View Post
I taught at Live Oaks (mathematics) for three years. GO is an awesome program and I love what they offer the students as far as actual useful skills. Pay was very good and at the time the schools were not union, which I like.
Students were definitely not the academically motivated kids that I work better with, so I left to go to a more traditional school (as I was not a vocational teacher but a regular subject matter teacher). I wholeheartedly believe in what they are doing at GO however, those kids can leave high school with a real job.
Thanks for the input. My position is quite different than a traditional Great Oaks teacher at one of their campus locations. I will be at a regular public middle school and will teach any student who chooses the class as an elective. The class is called Gateway to Technology and is basically a STEM class. The medical detectives class I will be teaching will involve dissecting a sheep brain, to give an idea of what's involved.

With that said, students who attend the GO Campuses may be more "vocational". As a generalization, students who want to be an RN could attend GO campuses classes and get certified quicker. Those who want to study medicine in more depth, like a doctor, may attend regular HS classes and then go to a university.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:38 AM

71 posts, read 109,362 times
My only experience is from taking a few continuing education courses offered at night to adults. For those, Great Oaks rocks.

I recently took a shop type of course and the instructor talked a little about his experiences teaching high school kids by day. In his opinion maybe half of the students put forth a lot of effort, as they planned to use their schooling to get a decent paying job after graduation. The other half just seemed to be going to Great Oaks in order to escape being stuck in regular classrooms all day at a conventional high school. Those types wore on his patience as he had to constantly make sure they were working, as opposed to trying to doze off in a corner of the shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati