U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-11-2016, 02:38 PM
 
8 posts, read 5,017 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

I will be starting grad school this fall at Miami U. I am looking to live somewhere mid way between Miami U. and University of Cincinnati. Would prefer somewhere that is generally safe, not too expensive and not rural. I'm considering Fairfield, Hamilton or Northgate in Colerain twnsp but I've heard that the roads up to Miami U can be dangerous during the winter. Can anyone please provide suggestions? Much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2016, 02:43 PM
 
3,269 posts, read 4,777,121 times
Reputation: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Kams View Post
I will be starting grad school this fall at Miami U. I am looking to live somewhere mid way between Miami U. and University of Cincinnati. Would prefer somewhere that is generally safe, not too expensive and not rural. I'm considering Fairfield, Hamilton or Northgate in Colerain twnsp but I've heard that the roads up to Miami U can be dangerous during the winter. Can anyone please provide suggestions? Much appreciated.
That's a 20 mile drive in each direction from the 275 freeway from either Fairfield or Celerain.

Why not just live in Miami, it's a great college town.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 PM
 
190 posts, read 178,122 times
Reputation: 123
Fairfield and Hamilton are not between Miami and UC. Fairfield is out of the way and Hamilton is even more out of the way. Seems like it would be easier to just live in Oxford, but if that's not an option for some reason, then the Northgate area is your best bet by default.


There are a whole bunch of condos across the street from the mall, behind Panera. I think most of them are individually owned and occupied by the owner, but maybe there are some being rented out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
Reputation: 28705
How often do you need to go to Cincinnati? Unless it is daily, I don't see why you wouldn't just live in Oxford.

On the other hand if you want to avoid the cloistered college town atmosphere, Hamilton, especially the west side, is a good option if you want to live in a town/city with services, etc, between the two.

Otherwise your option is going to be some sprawly suburban development.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
400 posts, read 397,352 times
Reputation: 310
I know a married couple that live in Clifton in Cincinnati. He teaches at UC while she teaches at Miami. The kids are at Walnut Hills High School so they wanted to stay in CPS district. Her commute is about an hour each way. She rents a room in Oxford so she can stay up there when it's necessary. It's not ideal but it's doable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 11:39 PM
 
874 posts, read 1,028,771 times
Reputation: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
Fairfield and Hamilton are not between Miami and UC. Fairfield is out of the way and Hamilton is even more out of the way. Seems like it would be easier to just live in Oxford, but if that's not an option for some reason, then the Northgate area is your best bet by default.


There are a whole bunch of condos across the street from the mall, behind Panera. I think most of them are individually owned and occupied by the owner, but maybe there are some being rented out.
Hamilton sticks out west to US 27, which goes through both Oxford and Cincinnati. How is Hamilton not between Miami and UC?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 07:17 PM
 
190 posts, read 178,122 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Hamilton sticks out west to US 27, which goes through both Oxford and Cincinnati. How is Hamilton not between Miami and UC?

Hamilton sticks out to US 27? That's news to me. The only towns I remember on US 27 between Northgate and Oxford were Ross and Millvale.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
400 posts, read 397,352 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Hamilton sticks out west to US 27, which goes through both Oxford and Cincinnati. How is Hamilton not between Miami and UC?

Hamilton is on 127 not US 27.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2016, 06:57 PM
 
Location: In a happy place
3,707 posts, read 6,564,999 times
Reputation: 7331
According to Google Maps, Miami to UC is approximately 32 miles via 27 and approximately 34 miles via a route through Hamilton and down 127. The 127 route is showing up about 15-20 minutes longer, likely due to a longer stretch through less rural areas and a couple of construction sites.

In my mind, the decision of where to live near those routes would depend on which destination was needed most. If the destination frequency is about equal, then any of the communities would be OK.

We have lived in this area through 2 winters now and have not found the winter travel extremely messy so far.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top