U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:51 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,702,275 times

Advertisements

From the Cincinnati Enquirer, this major business news:
Group banks on profit from Panama Canal upgrades

As seen by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, another article affirms the importance of the expanded port:
Ports of Cincinnati, N.Ky. among busiest in nation | Local | maysville-online.com

The PDF atop this page presents a concise summary of the new development:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en-...qi=&aql=&gs_l=

* This 2009 video envisioned a proposed Queensgate Intermodal Terminal planned to connect the Ohio River with Cincinnati's Queensgate Yards and all of Ohio, but West Side NIMBY's killed the project because of its threat of noise, pollution, and blockage of their views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU8AgJ7qUjA

Last edited by motorman; 07-12-2016 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 04:35 PM

860 posts, read 632,613 times
Sounds like a BS survey to me. Who's going to go through the trouble of navigating all those locks except for specialized cargo such as oil and coal?

Cincinnati is nowhere to be found on this list:

Top 20 U.S. Ports: Competition heats up for discretionary cargo

Old 07-12-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Sounds like a BS survey to me. Who's going to go through the trouble of navigating all those locks except for specialized cargo such as oil and coal?

Although the mainstay of Ohio River commercial shipping has long been bulk cargo, container ships similar to the ones pictured in the idealized graphic video do pass by. With the expansions of both the Panama Canal and Cincinnati-Northern KY ports, hopefully such container shipping will greatly increase.

This link (enclosed in the article cited above) provides another set of data, wherein are found shipping stats of the newly combined Cincinnati-Northern KY ports:
CY 2014 Tonnage for Selected U.S. Ports by Port Names

Old 07-12-2016, 07:13 PM

2,117 posts, read 3,540,609 times
Quote:

Cinci being a top port made me scratch my head..
This list has Cinci ranked #46, certainly not a top port.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:53 PM

15 posts, read 11,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
From the Cincinnati Enquirer, this major business news:
Group banks on profit from Panama Canal upgrades

As seen by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, another article affirms the importance of the expanded port:
Ports of Cincinnati, N.Ky. among busiest in nation | Local | maysville-online.com

The PDF atop this page presents a concise summary of the new development:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en-...qi=&aql=&gs_l=

* This 2009 video envisioned a proposed Queensgate Intermodal Terminal planned to connect the Ohio River with Cincinnati's Queensgate Yards and all of Ohio, but West Side NIMBY's killed the project because of its threat of noise, pollution, and blockage of their views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU8AgJ7qUjA
The giant grove of trees, solar panels, wind turbines, battalion of M1 Abrams Tanks, and amount of time they spent on the 'hike/bike' trail is rather amusing.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasbw View Post
The giant grove of trees, solar panels, wind turbines, battalion of M1 Abrams Tanks, and amount of time they spent on the 'hike/bike' trail is rather amusing.
Call me cynical, but I wasn't impressed. It looked about as impressive as your average big city Greyhound bus terminal.

And what's with the solar panels and all the landscaping? Is this supposed to be a park? A tourist attraction? Or is this some goofy city planner's version of a "sustainable" cargo depot? Sometimes you simply have to question what's going on in the heads of these people!!!

And I have one more question. How much of that riverfront have they lumped into the Cincinnati statistics to get to those figures? One guy in that article that was linked talks about US 62. That's quite a ways east of Cincinnati. According to the chart link I posted it looks like Huntington, West Virginia is almost as large in terms of cargo being shipped. I'm guessing that the bulk of the shipments are grain, gasoline, oil and coal.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasbw View Post
I'd like to reiterate that the above video was a 2009 planner's promo that never came to fruition. Naturally, its idealized landscape was loaded with an array of selling points that would appeal to a broad audience. The article below touches on both sides of the controversy that surrounded the project:

Queensgate Terminals project heats up

Old 07-14-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a BS survey to me...

Of course, Cincinnati wasn't found. This misleading survey measured only TEU's ("Twenty-Foot Equivalent Units") - ie, it charted only coastal ports' container operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Cinci being a top port made me scratch my head..
This list has Cinci ranked #46, certainly not a top port.
Such information was derived from some outdated source; the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers stats (cited above) provide a timely, reliable update.

Last edited by motorman; 07-14-2016 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
...And I have one more question. How much of that riverfront have they lumped into the Cincinnati statistics to get to those figures? One guy in that article that was linked talks about US 62. That's quite a ways east of Cincinnati. According to the chart link I posted it looks like Huntington, West Virginia is almost as large in terms of cargo being shipped. I'm guessing that the bulk of the shipments are grain, gasoline, oil and coal.
You need only reread articles from post 1 to answer the question - and, yes, the Port of Huntington is doing very well.

Actually, I wonder why you seem so agitated and confused by such positive business news. It seems like someone from Columbus would readily acknowledge the importance of what was accomplished in Cincinnati.** Just as Cbus annexed large swaths of land to become a bigger city, so, too, did Cincy incorporate large sections of river to become a bigger port. Land grab, water grab, who cares?! Doing what was best for themselves, two city-states enhanced their overall status.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

** "This is tremendous milestone that provides enhanced marketing and river-commerce opportunities," said Eric Thomas, executive director of the Central Ohio River Business Association, or CORBA.
"When we set out to re-designate the Ports of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky, we fully expected a rank of 15th in the nation and the second largest inland port," Thomas said. "Our region is blessed to possess such a strong port complex, arguably the envy of many cities our size in the heartland.

"When you combine our number one inland marine port with the eighth busiest airport (by landed tons), throw in the significant highway connectivity, and two class-I railroads, our region's position as a national leader in all things freight is clear," Thomas said.

Last edited by motorman; 07-14-2016 at 09:25 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post

Actually, I wonder why you seem so agitated and confused by such positive business news. It seems like someone from Columbus would readily acknowledge the importance of what was accomplished in Cincinnati.** .
I'm not at all agitated by this. I'm just calling out BS when I see it. It's sounds like more rah rah cheerleader civic booster stuff to me. Like these cheerleaders who go rah rah over a two-mile train downtown like it's going to change the world or something. Whoopty Doo!

I don't see why anybody would go through the trouble of shipping up the Mississippi and Ohio River when they can just dock on the east or Gulf Coast and put everything on a train. Now shipping out locally or regionally produce agriculture or coal is another story.

If you are looking for another reason why I am skeptical educate yourself about the St. Lawrence Seaway and how little it is used and how little Great Lakes Shipping means in the whole scheme of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or